SAW: Alive

Marc

Hello . . . . I Want To Play A Game

The Rules Are Simple Make It Through The Maze To The End. . .

Live Or Die Make You Choice (Or something along the lines of)

Imagine taking all the best bits of the saw films and strining them together and trying to find your way through them.

Its nothing scary, just slightly jumpy and absolute must do.

P.S Hope you like PIGS.

On my visit last Thursday, Saw: Alive really shocked me. Having been on around 5 times previously, this season it was a much better experience. No photo meant we were thrown straight into the action. Police officer shouting at me (at the front) to hit a large red button on the table near the CCTV screens, as I did this, a loud sound blasted from the speakers and we were ushered into the best experience on the maze I've ever had.

Many more close encounters and more actors with pig masks (terrifying) were in new locations and were not holding back their acting skills.

Honestly? The first time I've enjoyed Saw Alive for what it's meant to be, a horror maze ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Something serious must be going down in which case, because they've already hired actors for the whole season, some that haven't even started yet.

Perhaps we'll see actors around THE SWARM all year round Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Either that or 20 odd people just got made redundant...

I'm glad Thorpe have finally realised what a waste of money the maze was being open though.

Seems a bit...strange at the moment to be honest. No announcement, just changing the days on the site so it's only open during FN. Makes it a waste having it advertised at all.

As Dodge said above, something serious must've gone down for this to happen (or, they're just changing days around or something and it's just not all updated?)

Well, I love Alive. Appreciating that everything like this can be a bit hit and miss each time due to your own and actor placement, it provides an experience like no other on the park on your average day and I know most of my non geek friends think the same and really look forward to it.

I think this is a real shame but, to be honest, if it can not be open all year it kind of makes sense to leave it until FrightNights.

YES! The death of Saw Alive is looming! This is the best news ive had regarding this! Not the redundancies, if any, of course.

I Would imagine that The Swarm will have Actors around its Plaza alot more, especially with it having one of the biggest Marketing Promotions the park has ever had. Makes sense really

After careful consideration, we have made the decision to restrict the 2012 opening days of SAW Alive to just the Fright Nights period. We are sorry for any disappointment that this may cause but we are excited at the prospect of working on the attraction to ensure that when it returns over the Halloween period it will truly live up to it's description as the world's most extreme live action horror maze.

We have been sent this from the park.

However, if the maze is only on the 4-9 opening, then should the actors be more able to give it their all?

It's not about the actors giving it their all. Sure, any decent actor will be able to keep a consistent performance. The failure here is that the director of the maze is an absolute pile of w*nk. The maze doesnt reflect Saw's franchise in any capacity, with the exception of the themeing. It's absolutely clear that Thorpe have no idea about Scare Mazes, and the Entertainments Department is an absolute joke. They merely repeat the same thing every year, every maze is the same pretty much too. With actors running around waving torches.

The Department need to put their heads together and think about what will REALLY make an Impact, stand out and excel. Granted they have budgets, and The Swarm Actors were good. But in terms of Mazes and Special Events, they repeat everything and it's just old and used up.

I'm gutted that's its closing, it was so awful yet it was fun to go on when you had just had lunch and didn't want to just sit around for a while. The acting was awful and the were never in their right places, and there was a new vague story line each time you went in but it was still fun :/ I will be sad to see it go.

As I have said, Welcome to the 'NEW' horror maze for Fright Nights 2012! Urgh!

I am not the dissopointed, because I would not have been going probably when it was operating anyway, because they would have been busy days!...but as I am sure has and will be said, its another attraction that stands now vacant!

It's absolutely clear that Thorpe have no idea about Scare Mazes, and the Entertainments Department is an absolute joke. They merely repeat the same thing every year, every maze is the same pretty much too. With actors running around waving torches.

The Department need to put their heads together and think about what will REALLY make an Impact, stand out and excel. Granted they have budgets, and The Swarm Actors were good. But in terms of Mazes and Special Events, they repeat everything and it's just old and used up.

I would disagree with pretty much all of this.

To say Thorpe have no idea about scare mazes is just silly. Granted, Alive isn't there best piece of work, but this is the same park that has the likes of Asylum and Experiment 10 at Fright Nights - both of which have been highly popular and well known.

Whilst with the mazes at FN they tend to keep them the same, in the sense of same theme, roughly same layout, etc., they do improve upon them. Also, with the addition of E10 last season, they went for something completely different, and focused on separating people and creating a maze which was about being by yourself - if that the same as the other mazes (or other scare mazes in the country, for that matter)? Se7en, and I even heard of the occasional case in Alive too, were also improved upon over FN where actors were allowed to 'keep behind' one member of a group every so often, and 'torture' them until the next group came along. Again, it shows that with the mazes, though they stick to a roughly similar formula each year, they do make improvements (which work). Then of course they tried a scare zone after so many people asked for one, granted it may not have been a hit, but it shows they are willing to experiment, no?

In terms of other special events, they are trying new things and pushing the boat out where possible. Swarm's Premier Screaming, for example, was something different, and it's nice to see that the park got plenty of actors and some bands to make a ride opening a bit more special. The Mash Up event of Easter was something new compared to past few years, and though it was a mixture of things they've tried before (stunts, singing, etc.), it worked a treat and it shows that you don't have to have something completely new for something to be popular. Blow it Up last season was also very good, and had plenty of twists to your ordinary fireworks shows.. They don't repeat everything, just tweak things to improve upon them, if you will. The Reload and Ministry of Sound nights are also something different and shows that the park aren't just thinking 'We're an amusement park / theme park, so everything has to be about rides!'.

I have heard that the Entertainments Department have had to 'put more effort' (bluntly rephrased) into events other than Fright Nights, as though FN is usually seen as a great event, some others during the season aren't so well received. I'd say that, if this is true, the department has certainly listened.

Dragging this post on topic.. Alive just hasn't hit it off this season. It's a shame it's gone down, but I guess this is slowly putting the nail in the coffin for it being a permanent addition. The attraction was met quite positively by many fans and members of the GP when it opened but, as can even be seen on these forums, such people have begun to lost interest in it. A fair few people, including myself, always thought this was always going to happening, it was just a matter of when.

On a lighter note, maybe we'll see some new marketing: 'The world's most extreme year round horror maze...open during Halloween!'

the funny thing about the slogan is that it never has been open all year round, just all season (actually, its only managed one full season in operation, sheesh.)

the mazes work, so they keep them. they will improve them, or keep them the same, depending on how successful they are ( an example being asylum).

lets face it, the budget for fright nights will be no where near universals, will it? so it isn't right to expect mazes to be that good.

but the mazes in the UK are actually pretty good. Am I right in thinking that at the Universal mazes, the actors aren't allowed to touch the guests, only jump out?

I went in Alive last tuesday, and it was pretty bad to say the least. I only really jumped at one point, and it wasn't even that scary. There is just something missing in alive, it's quite hard to put a finger on it, but it doesnt have the right atmosphere to genuinely scare you.]

Also, some people have blamed money for the attraction closing, but to be honest, I think that it was just because it wasn't working anymore. I don't think people were scared before, during, or after going on in it.