PR / Marketing

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

These random pictures the park are posting are really cringe-worthy, regardless of if they relate to the park or not.

I'm not sure if I like the style of marketing or not. I appreciate they're going for a more family-orientated market now, but it just feels like they're trying to go for cheap and pointless laughs...and failing. :/

• 4 weeks later...

Not really sure where to put this but I guess it works here. I was reading through one of the available jobs (Marketing Assistant) and noticed they've changed the "About Us" section to it:

Thrill seekers of all ages can experience a non-stop adrenaline rush at the nation’s Thrill Capital, THORPE PARK, home to some of Europe’s most exhilarating rides and attractions.
Fearless thrill seekers are challenged to the Park’s iconic rollercoasters - the UK’s first winged rollercoaster THE SWARM, the beyond vertical drop of SAW – The Ride, and the ‘Unholy Trinity’ of Stealth, Colossus and Nemesis Inferno. Younger theme park fans can grab their adrenaline apprenticeship as they ride on a wave of light and sound on X, before enjoying rides like the gravity defying Zodiac and manic carpet ride of Quantum. There are also five water rides to excite the whole family, including Tidal Wave, Storm Surge and Logger’s Leap. They are a few reasons why we’re such a magnet for visitors year after year – and we plan to keep it that way!

This definitely has a much higher push towards the family market than the old one which just went on about all the thrill rides. Hopefully a continuation that we will continue to next year see a move towards bringing back the family market.

Said it before, and I'll say it again - whilst it's nice to see the park gearing towards an entire family market, I hope they don't gradually lose the 'thrill capital' idea. I still think a park focusing mainly on thrill rides is a great idea; they just need to be a bit more family-friendly about it and still have a few relaxing rides.

Also, Thorpe do like to push the fact they have 5 water rides as well. Maybe an Intamin Aquatrax is on the cards? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Taken from the T&Cs:

5. During the Promotion Period all valid entries will be entered into a free prize draw. The first 5 Facebooks fans’ names selected at random from all valid entries by a computer programme at 1200 hours on 26th November 2013 will receive one THORPE PARK goodie bag consisting of An I <3 THORPE PARK bag, SAW photo frame, SAW eyeball pen, THORPE PARK Fright Nights poster and a tub of sweet popcorn.

For a free competition, that's alright. Thorpe might want to change the date of when the winners are decided though! ;)

EDIT: On a semi-related note, I noticed earlier today Thorpe posted a picture of one of Stealth's trains showing the first two seats having the OTSRs partially taken apart (photo 11 of 16 from the TPM update in the Closed Season topic). The caption was along the lines of 'Can anyone see why Stealth isn't ready for launch today?' or something. However, it seems like a lot of people thought it was unsafe or something and it's been taken down now? :S

Edited by JoshC.

EDIT: On a semi-related note, I noticed earlier today Thorpe posted a picture of one of Stealth's trains showing the first two seats having the OTSRs partially taken apart (photo 11 of 16 from the TPM update in the Closed Season topic). The caption was along the lines of 'Can anyone see why Stealth isn't ready for launch today?' or something. However, it seems like a lot of people thought it was unsafe or something and it's been taken down now? :S

Well spotted. Yes we took the post down - too many people were missing the point that the ride was dismantled for winter maintenance, not broken. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

At least they're trying to use Facebook and other social networks for PR though seeming that other Merlin parks only seem to use them when they're vitally needed like if there's an event at the park that forces it to close or whatever.

Have to agree though, I think they need to lay off the slang phrases as looking at the comments on that post on Thorpe's Facebook page it crashed and burned.