Storm Surge

Marc

^ Agreed, you can argue it has a low throughput, but low throughput or not if people didnt like it, people wouldnt be prepared to queue the long queue times it gets.

Equally, how many people in that queue have ridden it before to know how awful it is?

It's the same as spinball at towers, people queue because its so bloody visable and one of the first rides on park. Doesn't have good throughputs, and doesn't get great scores. It just is busy because of location pretty much.

Equally, how many people in that queue have ridden it before to know how awful it is?

It's the same as spinball at towers, people queue because its so bloody visable and one of the first rides on park. Doesn't have good throughputs, and doesn't get great scores. It just is busy because of location pretty much.

I agree with the low throughput being the main reason, but I enjoy the ride myself. Always puts a smile on my face. All my mates like it too. (Spinball this is)

This is taken from a report by Ride Rater!

A woman was taken to hospital after sustaining a foot injury on the Storm Surge water ride at Thorpe Park.

Onlookers on Twitter claimed that the woman, believed to be in her 30s, trapped her foot in the ride’s conveyor belt on 12 October.

Storm Surge’s circular dingy-style boats enter and leave the ride’s station on a slow-moving conveyor belt.

The Get Surrey website said paramedics described the incident as a “crush injury” to the woman’s foot.

She was taken to St Peter’s Hospital in Chertsey. The air ambulance also attended the scene, along with firefighters from Camberley called to reports of a “person trapped in machinery”.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is likely to have been notified, as is usual practice following an injury requiring hospitalisation.

Get Surrey reported a Thorpe Park spokesman as confirming there had been an incident and said the ride was stopped immediately, with on-site medical staff on the scene within minutes and giving first aid.

The ride was closed on Saturday, but is understood to have since re-opened.

Edited by Sidders
: Due to the distressing nature of the report, spoiler tags have been added because the information included is sensitive to the park and to all those involved in the incident. Please appreciate the sensitivity of this information.

The fact that it's reopened says to me that it wasn't a fault with the ride, so more likely to be an issue with the staff or the guest involved.

By the sounds of it, there's no fault by the park here or anyone trying to play a blame game, so it's probably an accident which has unfortunately led to a woman's foot being injured badly. Nonetheless, wishing her a speedy recover.

That's horrible. I hope she manages to recover soon.

The one thing I still don't understand is how this was possible. Isn't the edge of the conveyer covered?

On Saturday it did strike me just how big the gap is between the conveyor and the metal bar that separates it from the other conveyor. Most people don't have a reason to walk across this but it's certainly possible to get confused and walk the wrong way.

To be honest it actually occurred to me on my last visit how unsafe the ride actually is, I cannot of think of many rides in this day and age that take you above 50ft and don't have you strapped in somehow. It's probably only a matter time before someone stands up (probably trying to avoid getting their feet soaked) and losing their balance at the top...

Loggers leap cant be much below 50 ft?

I hope we dont see anything like that!

Loggers Leap is about 60ft isn't it? Tallest log flume in the country and all that.

EDIT: Ignore me, it's just over 50ft actually. Dunno why, but always thought it was just over 60ft.. :P

Edited by JoshC.

There's lots of tall flume rides in the world that don't have restraints...

Let alone some of the rapids... But knowing people, it probably is a matter of time as if people are stupid enough to jump into a Rapids ride (at both Thorpe and Alton), there will eventually be someone stupid enough to do it on Storm Surge...

But of course, you could probably stand in Storm Surge's pond and not have anything happen to you...

• 2 months later...
A Storm Surge clone I've been on had a kind of seatbelt to keep you in. But you could just take it off if you really wanted to. It was fairly useless.

Well thats not very useful is it? It is a bit like snow jet how someone can just pull up the little lever and unlock your restraint- if these rides are going to be properly safe they need some sort of double locking system. If it just had a normal seatbelt then the seatbelt part would be fairly useless as someone would be bound to muck about and take it off, resulting in them falling out of the boat etc.

The thing about storm surge is that the queues would be absolutely tiny if thorpe had the same guests coming back over and over again- but thorpe has massives of new guests who want to go and they think storm surge looks cool when it is absolutely rubbish and barely spins anymore.

The thing about storm surge is that the queues would be absolutely tiny if thorpe had the same guests coming back over and over again- but thorpe has massives of new guests who want to go and they think storm surge looks cool when it is absolutely rubbish and barely spins anymore.

The new guests don't know that though do they? Bless their poor, inexperienced souls...

The ONLY good thing about storm surge and I mean ONLY is that it takes away a small amount of queues from other ridesa around the park, if it wasn't there queues would be much longer and I can't stand queueing over an hour :P(once queued 80 mins for nemesis inferno we got so bored it barely moved up and the queue time board said 30 mins making us frustrated!)

I usually result in buying a fastrack for one ride if it is over an hour like I have done once on stealth and once on swarm before.

If storm surge didn't have all the new guests making the queue 30 mins- 1 hour then we would be finding other queues around 5-10 mins longer!

Also if I'm to go on a water ride at thorpe, first choice will be loggers unless its a hot day when I choose tidal wave. Been on storm surge twice(both with 0 mins queues) and I have to say both times I hated it also because there is a massive puddle of water in the boat and you have to hold your feet up on the way up the lift hill!

• 3 weeks later...