Storm Surge

Marc

When I went yesterday, Storm Surge was a perfect highlight of the day:

It was spinning very well, however the second time I rode it, it didnt spin much, so I think how much you spin depends on the weight, like a Mauher Sonne spinner. Also, with temperatures rising over 30 degrees yesterday, the staff in the station had water blasters to give the riders and queuers a drenching!:D

When I went yesterday, Storm Surge was a perfect highlight of the day:

It was spinning very well, however the second time I rode it, it didnt spin much, so I think how much you spin depends on the weight, like a Mauher Sonne spinner. Also, with temperatures rising over 30 degrees yesterday, the staff in the station had water blasters to give the riders and queuers a drenching!:D

I am going on Tuesday and don't have ANY intentions to ride storm surge- the queue is always massive and it is such a pointless ride. I have been on it twice before; it is really ugly and makes noises like it is about to fall to pieces, the spin panels don't work very well and I have never spun fast and you don't get wet. Unless there are staff in the station squirting you, you don't get wet. My advice would be to go on tidal wave or loggers leap instead because storm surge is pointless!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes I am posting in the Storm Surge topic.

Today I was looking through some files on my college's system and this came up under my graphics course. In 2010/11 AS graphic students at my college had to design and manufacture an entrance structure for the new ride "Storm Surge." Here's the brief that they were given:

Thorpe Park are installing a new family orientated water-ride (see the power point slides on the intranet for visual stimulus). You have been asked to design and create a scale model of the entry/exit structure for the new attraction. Your design solution must consider the following issues:

• Target audience
  • Queuing and entry point
  • Exit and dispersal area
  • Interactive spectator area
  • Branding, signage and display of appropriate safety information.

The working title for the attraction is Storm Surge and it is planned to link it visually with the existing “TidalWave” ride; but you can generate alternative branding if you wish. Remember this is a manufacturing task therefore the vast majority of your time must be spent creating the model of the structure and signage. Your model must use at least two different modelling materials and the signage must be generated using CAD/CAM.

Some of the designs were very interesting and much better than what we have now! Anyway, here are the best images from this PowerPoint that I don't think I widely known about (well I've never seen them).

Storm1_zps7f81e8c3.jpg

The original queue line layout.

Storm4_zpscfa0511a.jpg

Some ideas for the location! As you can see, the MHFS site was considered, as well as under Inferno but that would have destroyed Banana Boat! :o

Storm3_zps8bfbcd73.jpg

Promotional images were certainly top notch.

Storm2_zpsc433f4a6.jpg

Just look at what we could have had! Yes the ride would still be meh, but at least it would fit in to Amity Cove a bit more.

I know it's Storm Surge related, but I hope some of you find it interesting like I did :)

Great find SCB - thanks for sharing!

I knew a couple of people that had this project whilst they were at college; it was something that really got everyone's interest from what I heard. I don't know if they are still there, but some of the designs were placed in the Thrills Workshop. There's a couple of photos of some from when Mer got a behind the scenes tour with the ECC last year - http://s100.photobucket.com/user/mlp_03/library/SWARM?sort=4&start=all&page=2 (all credit to her for the photos of course, and I hope she doesn't mind me posting them! :) ).

I remember that the queue line layout shown in that plan was also the original one they submitted, but thank goodness they changed it. Also, I'm glad that those water pumps aren't there just before the station - imagine being stuck there for 5ish minutes with them going off..! Out of all possible locations though, I think the one we've ended up with is the best...

I can't be the only one to find it funny that one of the possible locations actually was alongside Monk's Walk either, after all that PR hype? Maybe it was true all along... ;)

It still looks awful to me. And that last image is pretty much the same as it turned out - it's just that everything looks better in a picture than in reality. I doubt putting a boat in the roof would have actually increased anybody's enjoyment.

But it's great to see some technical documents and concept art from recent projects, thanks for sharing. It's interesting to see those alternative locations; I'm very glad they put Storm Surge where they did (I never thought I'd say that).

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to post about Storm Surge to much which is quite worrying...

Anyway here's what I have for y'all today ;)

Patented propulsion technology propels family-sized rafts into totally controlled forwards and backwards spinning cycles - without getting riders completely drenched! Centrifugal forces press riders against the back wall of rafts as they swiftly whirl down the river, giving riders an intense, heart-pounding ride experience.

Product Features

• Patented technology prevents riders from being drenched by water
  • Live computer-automated conveyor system supports efficient launch and recovery system
  • Caters to a wide demographic
  • Increases capacity and throughput with 3-6 person circular rafts
  • Encourages repeat visits
  • Low maintenance
  • In-house team of experts can customize to suit any project site and budget
  • Variations available with smaller footprint and slide paths

So Storm Surge is a high throughput, heart pounding, non soaking water ride that makes guests want to return. No wonder it gets the longest queue on park many days ;)

On the 26th September someone posted on there facebook about the noise it makes followed by a video

Please can you tell maintenance to put some WD40 on the ramp wheels of Storm Surge! I'm currently in the queue line and everyone is complaining there getting a headache!

Thorpe replied

Afternoon John, this noise is something our ride engineers are fully aware of and it is being dealt with whilst the park is closed. :)

Well at least there going to do something about it, finally

• 5 months later...