The Swarm

JoshC.

Not sure if there'd be any point in a Leviathan-style nameboard/set-piece because The Swarm's logo has it's own bridge to itself already. Jack's hit the nail on the head though - the pipe looks more like an internal support for a stood structure, which is to be bolted into the ground as well, so that means it's heavy. My best guess is it's going to be a smashed car that's been picked up and dropped by The Swarm and smashed an enormous whole in the ground.

If this is a sign of things to come (first Krake receives more themeing, now The Swarm) then I take my hat off to Merlin. Now if only they took their sights down to the more finite details of a coaster like, oh, I dunno, the paintwork or existing themeing pieces/devices.

OH, HEY INFERNO.

As cool as it is, it begs the question, why would they just randomly plonk a piece of theming in halfway through the season? And why wasn't it in the planning documents? Especially when, the way I see it, the ride isn't even 100% fully complete yet. No fire, no consistent webcam/LED's, faulty jets etc. I'm certainly not complaining, but I just think its odd...

I'm not quite sure how the theme additions are managed whether they are entirely done by Studios North or Thorpe's own staff have to get involved but if it is entirely down to the studio to sort out then I'd be optimistic in thinking that they wouldn't allow park engineering resources to be spread on to a project I.e. this new piece which we are seeing, which falls quite low on the priority ladder right now.

As already said, while Swarm is amazing: it still has some glitchy rows of seats which is a big hit on capacity and current theming elements clearly still need work to be up to the task of day to day operation.

A turret or something pointing up towards the drop with a smoke cannon that fires as the train accelerates downwards, to create the illusion that it has been hit. Yes please.

This got me thinking, Thorpe could play it as if they're bringing in the army (or something similar) to fight against the Swarm, which is why it's being added now and not right at the beginning. This could lead on to a 2013 ride where we need to help fight the Swarm. Something like this:

Posted Image

A turret or something pointing up towards the drop with a smoke cannon that fires as the train accelerates downwards, to create the illusion that it has been hit. Yes please.

Working with that maybe they are moving the tank that was at the entrance to there. which would follow the train and as you said shoot before it drops

Adz over on TTF posted this, with regards to the holes:

It's a Merlin Magic Making theming addition.

Yes, you've read that correctly. Merlin are adding additional theming to a ride once its already opened... It should look pretty nice when completed.

He's normally reliable for most Merlin things, so it looks like we are in for additional theming!

Whatever it is, a huge kudos to Thorpe/Merlin. It sounds as though they may well be responding to some of criticisms that the area wasn't immersive enough, so have decided to add in more theming as a solution.

Can't wait to see this! :D

Just need to add stuff to the OLDER rides to make them look as new as they did when they originally opened now...

I never really had a problem with the Swarm area anyways... Dunno what this could be really but hopefully this will be a precursor to Merlin seeing that they need to upkeep the rides after opening, rather than let them rot and rust...

Just need to add stuff to the OLDER rides to make them look as new as they did when they originally opened now...

I never really had a problem with the Swarm area anyways... Dunno what this could be really but hopefully this will be a precursor to Merlin seeing that they need to upkeep the rides after opening, rather than let them rot and rust...

When they start doing that to rides like Oblivion and Vampire, without painting queue lines garish colours or awful sponsorship deals then yes Merlin will have turned some kind of corner.

I want them to install this over night, so people only see the finished product; not all the bits in between (minus the hole in the ground and support thingy.) I doubt it will be that way, but it certainly would catch all us enthusiasts by surprise, let alone the general public!

Not bad at all. Glad to see them continuing to theme the area.

Id like to hope that they get round to doing a few small tweaks to other rides and areas, but hey even if they don't, I am glad they have gone that little bit extra for the Swarm.