2013 Changes

daboywunda

Does the Swarm have a tail though?

I really hope they don't ruin the best new rides in the country for years... Just because it wasn't as successful as they hoped it would be they want to turn it into a gimmick (added onto what can already be termed as a gimmick but is actually an integral part of the ride so it doesn't count)...

Sigh...

Does the Swarm have a tail though?

I really hope they don't ruin the best new rides in the country for years... Just because it wasn't as successful as they hoped it would be they want to turn it into a gimmick (added onto what can already be termed as a gimmick but is actually an integral part of the ride so it doesn't count)...

Sigh...

Why do you think it will ruin it? Seems abit of an unfair comment before seeing / riding it... (if it is what they are hinting at)

Why would the experience be any better backwards?

The whole intention of everything is going past near misses, and swarming around.

Plus I just cannot imagine it being comfortable because you cannot brace yourselves into elements as you dunno when or how they'll hit. You automatically brace when you see whats coming.

Yeah I posted that earlier in the thread, Ste, then Mark reminded me Thorpe lie about things. :(

And Marc, fair enough that's a good response, but we're not dumb enough to not be able to imagine what it would be like to be riding the Swarm as we always have, only in reverse, in our heads. Given Benin's ridden plenty of rear-facing coasters as well, I imagine he's already got a fairly good grasp of at least the visual impact of rear-facing seats, which even in my comparatively limited experience, seems to do exactly what Thorpe didn't want and take away a lot of the effect of the near-misses.

Why do you think it will ruin it? Seems abit of an unfair comment before seeing / riding it... (if it is what they are hinting at)

I listed my reasons to you personally and on the board before Marc...

For a company that prides itself on sheer absolute comfort and experience, why would B&M agree to this? Intamin yes, but B&M?

Yeah I posted that earlier in the thread, Ste, then Mark reminded me Thorpe lie about things. :(

And Marc, fair enough that's a good response, but we're not dumb enough to not be able to imagine what it would be like to be riding the Swarm as we always have, only in reverse, in our heads. Given Benin's ridden plenty of rear-facing coasters as well, I imagine he's already got a fairly good grasp of at least the visual impact of rear-facing seats, which even in my comparatively limited experience, seems to do exactly what Thorpe didn't want and take away a lot of the effect of the near-misses.

Not just visual impact, it's the ride impact as well... There's a lot of other factors that have been mentioned by myself and others which makes such a change on a new ride immensely confusing and just plain strange, especially if they make their old backwards coaster go forwards...

If it happens, I'll be very disappointed with Thorpe, not angry, but disappointed...

Maybe its just me, but I don't find Swarms near misses that effective (apart from when on front row), so personally I dont think this will spoil any of them and imo could enhance some (the water skims for example) if timed right. Of course its no way confirmed but seems abit more likley after that clue.

For a company that prides itself on sheer absolute comfort and experience, why would B&M agree to this? Intamin yes, but B&M?

Without riding it how do we know it wont still offer absolute comfort and experience, if not a better experience?

Isn't the lack of decent near misses (only REALLY good one is the inline through the station) the reason for the added theming rumour also making the rounds?

Backwards would lose visual aspect of the first drop at least... That's one of Swarm's best aspects watching the drop slowly unfold in front of you... Back or front that works extremely well for different reasons...

Visual impact is the least of my concerns though, it's all about how the ride impact affects everything... Especially as bracing for the elements is a bit awkward when you don't have a floor to support your legs...

Just think it's an incredibly daft, naive and stinks of desperation ideas... Just like when Six Flags do it...

If they turn part of the train backwards, they can just add backwards near misses! Simple! ;)

I just don't know what to think. This latest clue seems to point to the back 2 rows turning backwards. But then how on earth is that going to work out logisitically when queueing? Front row queue is a bit of a mess as it is, and that's all about queueing for a special row. SRQ was scrapped as well due to the complicated issues it could have. Maybe they'll get rid of the front row queue and sort it out like that? Maybe there could be an additional charge? Goodness knows. No matter how much thought gets put into this, I fear for how the queue system could work.

Then there's the more sensible / logical idea that it just won't turn backwards and the park can just add extra theming, spruce up the park and market themselves as a place where you can get a variety of high quality experiences. That would help draw in the crowds.

Because lowering the throughput of a ride (remember, there will NEED to be a designated back row queue, as not all guests will want to experience it, and with two rows gone there will be a reduction in throughput) is something Thorpe and it's already horrendously long queues and over-selling of Fastrack REALLY should add...

I prefer the logical option of improving the park getting people to come back and spend money, not wasting money on a gimmick because the new ride wasn't as successful as they thought (because they've put themselves in a market with the lowest level of disposable income during a recession)... It's basically a knee jerk reaction that the ride was a 'failure' to the park, and as such needs some extra 'pull' to guests...

Of course, providing an exceptional day out has nothing to do with returning guests who will happily part with their money...