2013 Changes

daboywunda

But Hurakan's 330ft, and the surrounding building is about 60ft-70ft high. Even if you get a building that's proportional to Detonator's comparatively tiny 115ft, there'd be no point in closing up the base of a ride that's so short and in such a crowded area.

I suppose your right!

Just feels like it's missing something that could be added, not sure what!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm personally not so keen on the way in which smaller thrills are continually added until the point at which more major development occurs, particularly when implemented in what appears to be a frenzied attempt to hide the park's family friendly past from the new target demographic in the way that something like Storm Surge was. Obviously, successful operation as a business is important, but the way in which filler installations pop up every year doesn't always seem wholly worthwhile. The companion attractions to bigger rides such as Saw Alive and Nemesis Sub-Terra, for example, are certainly enjoyable, but the addition of yet another of these to Thorpe Park within only three years of the first could be excessive (especially when in conjunction with something like The Swarm, which really doesn't need explanation and has much more impact without any sort of maze or dark ride to complement it).

I'm not sure that missing one year of small scale investment would be a negative thing, as many sensations offered by flat rides are already covered and, with fairly minimal space, it may even be good to wait until there is a more evident requirement for something specifically at the park - the foundations for development are already quite weak with so many things having been thrown together in a way that appears quite haphazard due to the variety of rides and attractions that they try to offer at Thorpe Park. It would be great to see something new, but I hope that things won't just be added for the sake of it - the addition of a colourful raft ride to the detriment of almost everything in the surrounding area wasn't exactly the best thing to have ever happened (not that I'm in any way trying to compare Storm Surge and any new attraction that may come about, I am merely making the point that there isn't really any need for a new installation next year except for on the grounds of profit).

With regards to the fence, it does look a bit permanent to be hiding any sort of small construction, so it's more likely to be there for aesthetic purposes and to hide the fact that the remains of a tracked ride are still there. If there are to be any changes for 2013 (which there are bound to be), I would possibly rather see some attempts to tidy the park in this way than to add something totally new but not necessarily required.

Hi all first post. My partner recruits all the construction and maintenance people for the Merlin group and visits head office regularly. Apparently no "major" construction work is due in Thorpe park until the proposed coaster in 2015. The queue line has been fenced of to hide and tidy up the park until plans are finalised for the area. Think how long the black hole tent was left in Alton towers before work finally began.

I do think it should be a flat ride but get the impression its not going to be anything for a while.

Edited by IanNem

Would be nice to see investment in the park itself - it surprises people when they hear that Colossus is the same age as Air. Lego got investment parkwide this winter, and everything feels so fresh and new again.

However, rides are the reason people visit, and ride investment must go on (as long as its not to the style of storm surge!)

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I forgot to mention when I went to thorpe park on the 3rd, is that while walking towards The Swarm I remember seeing some small tents to the right of the bridge near the maneque. But they are gone now. Interesting thing though is that where they were, there is a patch of grass which has been taken from the ground. So now it is a square patch of dirt. And that area is where a proposed location is for a flat ride. Could that be preparations for the 2013 attraction?

^ that's where the actors (army-like) were based with their tenting opening weekend. Prob the same, was that half term or something? That might explain it.

One thing I forgot to mention when I went to thorpe park on the 3rd, is that while walking towards The Swarm I remember seeing some small tents to the right of the bridge near the maneque. But they are gone now. Interesting thing though is that where they were, there is a patch of grass which has been taken from the ground. So now it is a square patch of dirt. And that area is where a proposed location is for a flat ride. Could that be preparations for the 2013 attraction?

I went to Thorpe park yesterday and these is a patch, but it seems to have squashed grass instead of dirt. I also noticed that if they remove the tree it could fit a medium size flat ride and there were a couple of gardeners so something may be going on there

Should they have announced it?

Nothing has ever been confirmed as to whether or not there will be at least anything new next year, let alone a flat... Besides, considering how the flat ride line up already exists at the park, it's something that they really don't need to improve upon that much...

Aside from a Huss Top Spin of course...

I think that maybe it is best for them to have a year off adding any new attraction. (even though I doubt they will)

Personally I would use next year to clean up one of the existing rides, maybe a minor retheme or something along those lines.

Still I am sure that whatever they have in store, it is going to be interesting and enjoyable. I guess we will just have the wait and see.

I recon they can get away with leaving Inferno for a few more years. Its dark red paint job is still pretty distinctive (if a little dirty) even now.

I'ed love for them to spruce up either/both Colossus and X:// No way out but I don't recon they will, not yet anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I can near enough guarantee that then new 2013 ride wont be In the conference centre by the swarm simply due to the fact that they are taking bookings for it for next year!

Unless they're planning on moving the conference centre to elsewhere in the park (probs not, but every avenue and all that)...