2013 Changes

daboywunda

I believe that the marquee is staying exactly where it is.

http://planning.runn...&DAURI=PLANNING

Thorpe applied for a 'Permanent retention' of the marquee last year, which was approved by the council (I assume it was constructed with temporary permission or something?). It post-dates the MTDP which stated the area could potentially be used for a round ride or themed experience; so it is staying.

As Benin said, there really just is not enough room on Swarm's island to have a ride underneath the Swarm. Include into that a queue line and such, it would be pretty much impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so its September and we still have no clue what TP are installing next year! Come on people, get digging! We are losing our touch.

It's the SECOND of the month... Give the park a chance to actually decide on what the next step is (unsurprisingly, it's not simple to design/build a new attraction)... The park will reveal things in their own time when ready... Who knows what's going on inside the Studios on here? No one... Besides, do we not like to be surprised by new rides or MUST we know EVERYTHING these days?

Of course, does the park NEED a new ride? I'd rather the park have a set out well planned new ride than another Storm Surge...

If they can't afford a few bangers are they really going to find the money for a new attraction? Another year trading off The Swarm I guess, which is probably better then a half arsed/poorly funded effort.

Different department, different budget, different situation...

Same company, same problems.

Has there still been no word on the fate of Vengeance? Someone somewhere must be getting it. I hope it's not us, it wouldn't cope.

I guess it's similar in all the parks in the world, each department gets it's own separate budget and outlays, just an easier way to run the system around...

Vengeance could work in a theme park situation if it had about 20 pre shows beforehand... It seats 40 odd doesn't it? And it would plug a big gap in Thorpe's line up in a potentially decent dark ride if (a big one at that) done well...

It's the SECOND of the month... Give the park a chance to actually decide on what the next step is (unsurprisingly, it's not simple to design/build a new attraction)... The park will reveal things in their own time when ready...

That said, it wouldn't be too much of mistake to assume that, if Thorpe are planning anything, they would have decided on the ride/location/theme/potential marketing by now. I think javs was waiting on the only real 'if' remaining were they planning anything, which would be council consent.

To me, it doesn't look likely that we'll get anything new. Snooze Box isn't a cheap investment regardless of it's poor comparison to a genuine hotel, and in light of Thorpe Blast/Blow Sh!t Up not returning, it seem even more unlikely. To be honest though, I see Thorpe's sense on this one. I don't want another Storm Surge.

For an dark ride Sub-Terra's planning wasn't untill late august but Thorpe Park has never had trouble with planning so they can afford to send it in late so I expect some news if for a dark ride to be at least sent this month but maybe not at all because if its going in the old time Time Voyagers they don't need to build a need to apply for planning permission like Ice Age 4D didn't, but I don't think a Vengeance won't be will bad! It would look good lined up next to snoozebox for 2013 :)

Having recently made a trip (or pilgrimage) to Alton Towers, I believe that a Sub Terra ride would fit the park perfectly.

It wouldn't cost that much (in theme park terms) and would be a great addition to The Swarm (or Nemesis Inferno; We've found another egg).

That said it looks like we could just be stuck with a snoozebox (which I won't visit because I live 3 minutes from the park).

Don't forget that Saw Alive wasn't announced until Fright Nights begun, and not officially named until late October, with plans not even submitted until November.

If the 4D theatre is to be used for a new attraction next season, then it could well be the case that all that needs to be built is a queue line, VERY similar to Alive's planning application, and then there's no real rush. There's still many possibilities for new attractions for next season, so I don't think there's too much cause for concern yet.

2013 is meant to be a medium investment for the park next year; whether this includes the Snoozebox is unknown at this stage..

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it kinda does make sense... New things allow you something to push to a high degree to both new and returning guests...

Problem is, there's a lot of other factors that do affect guest numbers, such a prices, atmosphere, how good a day out feels, etc... Indeed, even with Swarm this year, numbers haven't particularly risen, but that might be a result of crap weather, Olympics, or people just not wanting to fork out for a relatively depressing queue filled day...

New rides/attractions are good to have though...

Normally flat ride plans for the following season would've been released by now, though it really does depend on the ride type, height, size, location, etc.

However, there's still a possibility for a new attraction next season. For example, Saw Alive's application wasn't made till November 2009. So, we could still see development next season past the Snooze Boxes; only time will tell. :)

If they choose to do something inside the old pirates building there could potentially be no application at all I guess, so the first we'd know would be when promotion starts. Although even with that I'm sure they'd like to start the 'come back next year for xxxx' on park promotion by now, so probably nothing but the shoe boxes.

• 3 weeks later...

Remove stage area next to X No way out, and Add Huss Giant Swing. Theme it around 60's-70's Disco but with the Tsunami as a name! or Tornado/Twister It would fit perfectly and be a massive hit. Even though they have 2 other swing they might have to say 'Farewell to Vortex' But as everyone must agree this huss swings are much better. a larger version of Maelstrom.

I'd be happy with a nice spruce up to be honest. The hotel, although not the best scenario, is an attraction nonetheless, and shows they're not willing to let the park go a whole year without attention.

They've done some impressive things this year with the park, and if they have the same mindset throughout the closed season, I could see great things happening.

For most people the Snoozebox hotel is is poor sign that Thorpe doesn't have it finger on the pulse or Merlin doesn't want to spend the cash on it.

I went to Chessington yesterday, their hotel looks amazing and they are just going to extend it with an additional 69 rooms. Legoland have a good hotel, Alton have two hotels.. how can four parks owned by the same company be run so differently?

Apart from the Swarm and I can't fault what they have done there, Thorpe just doesn't seem to get the money spent on it.

They need to get in a new ride for next year, even if it is a flat, they need to add something. If they don't add a new ride, what else are they going to do to attract people?

I'm sure the ticket price will go up again next year, so as a paying customer, what extra will I get from Thorpe, when Chessington round the corner will have Zufari and Alton will have SW7 pulling in people by the thousands.....