Park Operations

Daniel.S313

The only lowlight of yesterday was the Saw Alive queue - that barely moved because of effing Fasttrack. A couple of E-Stops compounded the issue, meaning there was a backlog of Fasttrack that then took precedence over the paupers in the standard queue.

I still have yet to ever purchase a Fasttrack ticket and am proud of it  ;)

The park on sunday was working well but When I was waiting for Detonator (they put me in the exit part as it always had an empty seat and before the batcher let anyone on these 4 kids ran up the exit and jumped into the main queue line just to save walking all the way round! then before on the next cycle before anyone got on they jumped over the fence about to get on the ride! the staff didn't even bother calling security ._. (it was a certain group of people by the way but no names mentioned) are they always a problem at fright nights?!

The park on sunday was working well but When I was waiting for Detonator (they put me in the exit part as it always had an empty seat and before the batcher let anyone on these 4 kids ran up the exit and jumped into the main queue line just to save walking all the way round! then before on the next cycle before anyone got on they jumped over the fence about to get on the ride! the staff didn't even bother calling security ._. (it was a certain group of people by the way but no names mentioned) are they always a problem at fright nights?!

Yes, yes they are

Operations on Sunday were okay.  Few breakdowns but that's expected.

Breakdown on Cabin was frustrating just due to not moving in the queue and not being told it had broken down.  The fact that the maze queue times were advertised as 90 minutes/2 hours was ridiculous as they just weren't - People selling Fastrack right outside is just a glorified scam (you know the drill by now #fanboyrants ;) )

There were points when I saw some great operations especially on Inferno and Swarm, but towards the end of the night you could just tell all the staff (and guests) were knackered so it all slowed down

Do you mean pikeys or something else?

This overselling fast track is getting a joke now... Once again, despite people on here telling me I'm a liar in the past, I saw people around the park pushing fast track for Swarm's "60 minute queue" to find... guess what... no-one in the queue.. Not a soul. Yet the boards are still advertising 60 mins...

And Saw's fast track queue last night was actually as long (in time) as the main queue... How do I know? We put it to the test. I had fast track, they joined main queue and I ended up on the car behind them...

I think Trading Standards should probably get involved soon. I'm pretty sure businesses aren't allowed to LIE to their customers to milk money out of them, by definition that's extortion. I can understand it if they advertise it as 60 and it turns out to be 40... Fine, that's a miscalculation, but it's pretty damned hard to "miscalculate" no-one for 60 mins... They must walk incredibly slowly through the queue line.

Aaron Tuckwell, what are you going to do about it? People moan, but run back. It won't change.

In regards to 'falling out of seats' and the GP trying to get attention/something for free, Thorpe have occasionally invited said complainers back to the park, and ride (Colossus), and shown things like the seat belts being a backup, and nothing to do with the actual restraints.

If only they realised that the same goes for the shoulder restraints on Slammer!

Sorry to not be on topic, but I read from one of the members of staff at Busch Gardens who said that the main function of the seatbelt was infact to check that the people riding it weren't too large. So for example, if the seatbelt could not be done up, then that person is too large for the actual restraint itself to lock down enough notches to be deemed 100% safe. Is that true?

Whilst it can be used for that the ride will also know when all seats are locked. The more prominent reason is that during an evacuation it is not possible to release the restraints one person at a time. So to stop all the seats releasing at once the seatbelt keeps them down. Saw doesn't have seatbelts because the seats can be released individually so they aren't needed. There are also other minor reasons for there existence.

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot see where to post this, so , it's here.

My visit to TP today 4th November

Went to TP today knowing that my favourite ride has been "taken out", but suspecting that will be my last chance to get there this year, and with the weather being okay.

Stealth is ten years old next year and because of that, they have started servicing it now, in the season, doh! They are in fact working on it as the accumulators are in pieces and it is all fenced off. Supposedly that means it will be ready for the half term in February? (watch that space, seriously!)

The park was really low on visitors, so I got that bit right, as all rides were virtually walk-on.

Met a load of familiar staff on Nemesis Inferno and had many rides on that, and several other people were allowed to re-ride.

Samurai was working.(I don't do that)

Saw still a bit rough, re-rode.

Swarm, still too smooth for me, but no queue.

Colossus performing well, not too rough, and no queue, so allowed to stay on, for a few spins.

I quite like Vortex, though not enough swings, and only four people on it.

I visited the park today for a couple of hours.  Weather was a bit meh, and the park was unsurprisingly dead.  

No closures other than Tidal and Stealth.  Operations were efficient, staff were friendly and tried to make at atmosphere on park (one problem when non-event days are dead is how...quiet the park feels).  In some ways, it's almost surprising Thorpe stay open for this week given how quiet it is, but it's at least nice to see that they have. 

I visited the park today for a couple of hours.  Weather was a bit meh, and the park was unsurprisingly dead.  

No closures other than Tidal and Stealth.  Operations were efficient, staff were friendly and tried to make at atmosphere on park (one problem when non-event days are dead is how...quiet the park feels).  In some ways, it's almost surprising Thorpe stay open for this week given how quiet it is, but it's at least nice to see that they have. 

What amazed me was how quiet audibly the queues were, noticeably so.

Very, very poor staff discipline on several occasions today.

At the end of the day on Nemesis Inferno, about 100 staff members joined the queue after ride close.  The staff working on the ride announced through the PA that no staff would be allowed on, but they ignored this and basically pushed past some customers at the gates so that they had to send the train as there were still members of the public on it.  Despite this, there was still around three trains worth of staff members left after this.

Earlier on in the day, on Slammer two members of ride staff were let on through the exit in front of the main queue.  Not only that, but they went in the back row where there were already five people waiting instead of filling up empty seats available in rows 2 and three - the ride operator allowed this, and said through the PA that "we don't care about batching."  This led to members of the paying public having to regroup and split up which is just poor!

It really shows the kind of people some of Thorpe's staff actually are, they think that they can get away with whatever they want because it's the end of the season!

As for park operations, all coasters were on one train (apart from X which I think was on two, and not sure how many Saw was on).  It's what I have come to expect of Thorpe so it was no surprise.

Very, very poor staff discipline on several occasions today.

At the end of the day on Nemesis Inferno, about 100 staff members joined the queue after ride close. The staff working on the ride announced through the PA that no staff would be allowed on, but they ignored this and basically pushed past some customers at the gates so that they had to send the train as there were still members of the public on it. Despite this, there was still around three trains worth of staff members left after this.

Earlier on in the day, on Slammer two members of ride staff were let on through the exit in front of the main queue. Not only that, but they went in the back row where there were already five people waiting instead of filling up empty seats available in rows 2 and three - the ride operator allowed this, and said through the PA that "we don't care about batching." This led to members of the paying public having to regroup and split up which is just poor!

It really shows the kind of people some of Thorpe's staff actually are, they think that they can get away with whatever they want because it's the end of the season!

As for park operations, all coasters were on one train (apart from X which I think was on two, and not sure how many Saw was on). It's what I have come to expect of Thorpe so it was no surprise.

You would think it was their last day and they were all unemployed now! Discrasful

I agree with Jamie... Though I'm not sure if Thorpe and the others invite returnees back these days, professionalism at all times should be the preferred thing, irrespective of their last day or not...

I agree they should be professional - to be fair we had some staff ride the swarm in the evening with us, they had songs playing over the pa getting staff and guests involved and generally a nice atmosphere.

Just to flip this slightly on Sunday I witnessed a chavvy looking woman really laying into a staff member because of certain rides that are closed. I've never witnessed such rudeness before (I'm sure TP staff probably get it a lot). The staff member looked quite young and handled the situation really well but the guest wouldn't shut up - I was about to go up to the guest and tell her to wind her neck in but she started walking away while the poor girl was still explaining why Stealth was shut. She pretty much blamed this one staff member for certain rides being closed.