Park Operations

Daniel.S313

Can you please elaborate what disability would unable you to queue for some rides however you're fine to wait an hour in the saw queue line waving around your little yellow band?

Most of the autistic spectrum?? Just because I might not need help walking doesn't mean I don't have a disability. I get very agitated, start pacing up and down, tapping toes, basically just getting very hyperactive, then might start annoying my sister or something. I can't queue for more than 15 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

A carer along with other carers and a boy with MS once told me they used the main queue because they couldn't stand the judgemental faces from people when they got on via the exit.

The amount of dirty looks you get is actually immense.

Autism affects sufferers in different ways. Some will be very shy, others will be highly madly obsessed with strange things whilst others be unstabaliaee by simple things like noises, movements or even certain buzz words.

As a sufferer of this (but at a higher functioning level (aspergers)) I have seen kids break down in tears or become enraged just by certain words and sounds, whether that be saying their favourite fictional character is dead or noisy machinery.

Whilst I have never used exit rider due to being in the generation before and getting used to the queue way, there's a lot of sufferers who just can't accept and deal with the change and surge of information. And it is here why they need to use exit rider.

There was a discussion on RAP somewhere and about who qualifies for it etc and people who abuse the system. there are no doubt people who will take the pee and use it when they don't need to which sadly can shine a bad light on those who genuinely need it.

A couple of years ago I did get a ride access pass at Alton Towers as a small group of us had been swarmed by wasps most of the day and one person actually got stung. I told the lady at customer services about the wasp issue and that it sets off my anxiety (I'm freakin' terrified of them!). She asked a few questions then gave me a wristband and said I would probably qualify for one on each visit. It's hard because if I'm having a good day I would feel like a fraud using it. With a lot of illnesses you can have good days and bad days and sometimes you could be feeling ok and the next minute feel like you're dying.

There's no need to use it unless you have to (IMHO), if the queue is less than 20 minutes I will make the member of my family queue, they just slide the band up their arm and get in the queue like anybody else does, we don't make a fuss, like ChessingtonSam they can queue for short period, but anything more than 15-20 minutes and they can be a right nightmare.

The judgemental and dirty looks you get actually stopped us going last year as it upset them so much, some people are just ignorant ****s who don't have the slightest clue how a look or off the cuff comment can affect someone.

As someone with an ASD and a user of the RAP system, I can say that the system is very useful.

I find sometimes that if a plan is off by a few minutes, it can incredibly stress me out (the M25 really got on my nerves when it clogged for 20mins). I find sometimes certain noises can annoy me, imagine that in a large queue? Due to a few bad experiences (unrelated to theme-parks), I find that I am quite a paranoid person. At parks, I often find myself nervous as I feel that someone I know (and usually don't get along with) is nearby (as parks are very large, public places- anyone could be there at any given moment). In a queue, this feeling would be horribly heightened.

Luckily, I haven't seen anyone give me dirty looks (I think I might have got one when walking down Smiler's disabled entrance with a full cattlepen), but it is disgusting that such a thing happens.

Absolute worst ride for the dirty looks is Tomb Blaster, since you slowly enter the station being stared at...

Creek's description of the Autism spectrum makes it sound like everyone on here is on it though, what with being strangely obsessed with rides and stuff...

My suggestion to anyone who gets the 'look', take a walking stick with you (as a backup plan as though the person CAN walk they might require it at some point) and smack the judgemental arses with it...

People are like this everywhere. My dad has Multiple Sclerosis and got a snotty note on his windscreen when he parked in a Sainsburys disabled bay. Despite having a valid disabled badge this note writing idiot assumed my dad was fine because he didn't have a leg hanging off!

As with a lot of disabilities he has good days and bad days. These people giving evil looks to disabled riders need to get some perspective. Yes, they'll have a wait in the main queue for a little longer, but hey, at least they have the luxury of yer know, NOT BEING DISABLED!!

Partaking in geekery since 1985

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is getting **** from other yellow band users, that's even worse. Sometimes a sensible ride op will call down the line asking if there are 'two riders' or a 'single' rider, especially on Inferno to help things along, it happened to us last year and there's nothing more enjoyable than said ride op saying to chav's mother (who said something to the effect of '****ing typical I've got two kids and have to wait another go cos you've only got two seats left, get your **** together, there's nothing wrong with those two don't know why they're in this queue anyway'), "if you're disatisified with my attempts to speed up the queue, you're welcome to join the main queue or buy a fast track ticket".

Granted the ride-op was much older than a regular ride op, some of you probably know her, short, big, middle aged, blondy brown hair, but it was one of those both epic, and totally **** moments in life where you find yourself asking whether you've been transported to a parallel universe.

If the team on swarm went any slower today I think the ride would just stop dead.....

Goes to show how it can be so different on a day to day basis. They were probably the best team in the park on Friday, even with a short queue mostly dispatching as the other train hit the start of the final set of brakes outside the station.

Just one more thing about the bands...

What is the rule about RAP on Storm Surge? We were in the Fastrack queue and the operator asked RAP or Fastrack we said RAP so then he goes "Any fastracks?" When we asked he said something like they're only allowed one RAP rider per 4 boats. Does anyone know why this is?

I don't agree with RAPs entirely. At locations such as Europa, there is no RAP queues. Everyone is treated the same, and if, for whatever reason, you find it mentally or physically impossible to bare the queue, tough. I know a lot of staff members feel the same, particularly with the continual rise of guests who seem to be using the system in this way. I do think everyone should have a chance to ride, however I think for some more then others the RAP is abused, rather then needed as a use. 

Whilst there are people out there who will inevitably abuse the system, I do think that everyone should have the opportunity to experience rides (obviously taking into consideration the restrictions - I'm not saying a heavily pregnant woman should go on Colossus etc).  I do agree about short queues however - rides which have a 20 minute or less queue should be do-able although it obviously depends on the individual and what their limitations are.

Back to park operations - after my visit last week, I felt a bit meh about the whole place, but yesterday felt better (apart from the weather).  It was still relatively busy but staff just seemed more efficient and quicker.

The staff working in the retail outlets were really friendly and helpful - especially the lady in the Saw store - I'm pretty sure she worked in the Swarm shop last year and she is really lovely.

Also the queue boards were working! - well, the one by Inferno was :glare: and the queue times listed were pretty accurate and updated regularly.

I really don't understand why TP don't have an app where you can check queue times, like they do with the other parks - would be kinda handy rather than having to hoof it to a queue time board - yeah I know the park isn't big but when you've been walking all day and feel like your feet are going to drop off it would help B)

Put it this way, you might have to queue a little longer for your ride because these inconsiderate people are jumping in front with their fancy yellow bands. It might ultimately affect your day with queue times and you have one bad day. Difference being, you DONT know what disability someone has and just because it's not visible doesn't reduce the severity of it. So, think about whilst you might have one bad day at Thorpe park because the queues are long, there's a 10 year old girl going through disabled access with anxiety who might not ever overcome the illness. The time spent at hospital appointments, being assessed, ensuring she's taking her medication at the right time, may always need someone with her, may not ever reach a point of independence etc should be a justified reason to why they're entitled to that ride pass.

Edited by ItsHurtingMeInside
Swearing

I really don't understand why TP don't have an app where you can check queue times, like they do with the other parks - would be kinda handy rather than having to hoof it to a queue time board - yeah I know the park isn't big but when you've been walking all day and feel like your feet are going to drop off it would help

There used to be an app from what I can remember back in 2011/2012, and then one day it just disappeared. Haven't seen an official app since. There are other queuing apps that give times for the rides at Thorpe, but an official one would be nice (and hopefully more accurate).

Put it this way, you might have to queue a little longer for your ride because these inconsiderate people are jumping in front with their fancy yellow bands. It might ultimately affect your day with queue times and you have one bad day. Difference being, you DONT know what disability someone has and just because it's not visible doesn't reduce the severity of it. So, think about whilst you might have one bad day at Thorpe park because the queues are long, there's a 10 year old girl going through disabled access with anxiety who might not ever overcome the illness. The time spent at hospital appointments, being assessed etc, ensuring she's taking her medication at the right time, may always need someone with her, may not ever reach a point of independent should be a justified reason to why they're entitled to that ride pass.

This is spot on

There used to be an app from what I can remember back in 2011/2012, and then one day it just disappeared. Haven't seen an official app since. There are other queuing apps that give times for the rides at Thorpe, but an official one would be nice (and hopefully more accurate).

I used a pretty accurate ride times thing last year but I don't know if it is still around - will have to take a look

Apart from Inferno breaking down 4 times (each time when we were about to join the queue), operations were good yesterday. Everything was running on full capacity (bar X) and most ride staff loaded and offloaded quickly. The only issue with onload/offload was Slanmer. That thing took about 10 minutes to load and another 10 to get everyone off!!

I think I remember Thorpe tweeting that a new app is going to be ready either this year or next year

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk