Angry Birds Land

Marc

Unfortunately I won't be revealing our opinion of ABL, was approaching the Clacket Lane services on the M25 on the way there when our engine decided to give up!! We nearly got taken out on the slip road along with my kids but luckily the Highways Agency could see us on their cameras and came to tow us into the services. Unfortunately Clacket World wasn't up to Thorpes standard, either for myself or the kids.

The terrible state that 'new' section of the m25 has been opened in probably shook your engine to bits! Better luck next time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qbpwncmzQp8

...and now - MY PERSONAL REVIEW :)

Personally, I thought Angry Birds Land was actually pretty good. It breathed not just a new look into the area, but also a new FEEL as well! Angry Birds 4D I thought was amazing and very well put together, especially with the effects combined. King Pig's Wild Hog Dodgems were EXTREMELY enjoyable, and it was a nice touch to hear the Angry Birds GO! soundtrack playing within the ride. This was once one of my weak points, but Detonator was still as good as ever, but to be fair, the old theme tune seems to fit in with the theme...maybe...not so sure, but who knows if Rovio are currently developing a NEW theme tune for it and the old Detonator theme is just temporary while this happens. Talking of which, the soundtrack to the area itself was quite decent, as it combines various remixes of the theme tunes of some of the AB games with the ambience of a battle between the birds and the pigs in the background (which goes with the vinyls on the walls nicely).

Overall, I'd rate Angry Birds Land 5/10, as yes it's just what Thorpe need to bring back the families, but despite my compliments above, it still lacks theming and (as ALL of you know) it cuts Stealth off from the rest of Amity Cove.

Tell me about it!! That section is like the depressing lovechild of Elmer the elephant, I've seen better patchwork on a quilt. Was really gutted as it was a lovely day and we was making great time to get there for early ride time ect. Not just that since January I have already spent nearly a grand on fixing it up, 600 quid on welding, 300 on a new gearbox and nearly a 100 on 2 new tyres as some little swines stabbed them with a screwdriver. I despair on some of our youth I really do, current company excepted!!

So, Saturday. Got there for opening. Walked up to Angry Birds 4D Experience and all the over-enthusiastic staff were going crazy on this "first ever public performance". Took out seats and...

No water

No air

No seat movement

No leg ticklers

Just the 'room effects'.

Upon exiting the ride, Thorpe management were standing there asking everyone "if they enjoyed it?". I had to step in, explain the issues that everyone experienced. An engineer went running in to 'fix it' and I saw it again about an hour later and it was pretty good actually.

The Dodgems aren't bad either but I can imagine that queue-line being horrendous. Who the hell puts Fasttrack onto Dodgems??! Detonator: Bombs Away is just Detonator with a black bird on the op unit, a new main sign and a some more new signage around the ride. The soundtrack/announcements etc. were the exact same as the old ride, but louder?

However, saying that, the whole area looks ok. It was a cheap (cheep) investment but I reckon it is a good one! Give it 5 years when the I.P is dropped, hopefully we'll have a new 4D film still using all those pretty sweet effects, some dodgems (which I think every theme park needs) and our old Detonator back.

But yes, was a good morning Saturday, and if they keep that little red character out and about it would appeal to the families they are so trying for.

One thing that nobody's mentioned - so I'll mention it - is that the Dodgems queueline has been designed to look identical to that of Tidal Wave's (which run practically side by side, with the angled wood pieces) - which gives a good impression that the Dodgems will outlive ABL and potentially even revert into Amity Cove :D

I see from Facebook photos that the "road" and curbs are still there in Angry Birds Land, with half faded single yellow line - the horror! :blink::ph34r:

Photos From TPM Facebook - you'll see that there is new brickwork underneath the arch to replace the road, but it's still there when you get to Detty.... and does anyone know why there are tram tracks in Amity Cove in the road - or is that theming?

1002214_10154249273215624_37087856289794

10300225_10154249273410624_5179458049602

Jason's a nice bloke, he's very active on Twitter too and up for chatting to people (and reads this forum - hello if you see this Jason!).

Definitely better than what they had before, and he can push them in the right direction.. and is really. I dislike Angry Birds Land in how it's appeared however I do enjoy everything else the park has been doing since he's come on board and destroyed the Thrill W@nker Capital stuff.

Jason's a nice bloke, he's very active on Twitter too and up for chatting to people (and reads this forum - hello if you see this Jason!).

Definitely better than what they had before, and he can push them in the right direction.. and is really. I dislike Angry Birds Land in how it's appeared however I do enjoy everything else the park has been doing since he's come on board and destroyed the Thrill W@nker Capital stuff.

I would agree that him removing the thrill capital stuff was a good idea. However I think the over marketing needs more of a theme than generic theme park. Although saying that it doesn't stop Cedar fair and they seem to be doing pretty well with generic theme park.

I see the Merlin fetish of 'Let's stick a world first element in our new attractions wherever possible' is still present (as seen in the Press Event video). Shame.

But yeah, Jason seems like a great guy and knows what he's doing with marketing. It was obvious that last year they were trying different things when it came to marketing, which things worked (family-friendly, optimising digital media, etc.), which things did not work (the Thorpe Park memes for example), and this year we're seeing the positive outcome of this. Customer experience is seeming to a big thing this year too, which is a good thing. Glad to see! :)

I dont think that they can rewen a ride detonator by just changing the name and soundtrack but I may be wrong will find out so it will still give that gut wrenching feeling but I have only seen good reviews from people

I dont think they changed the soundtrack. It was literally just a sign change and a bird added to the console room.

I see the Merlin fetish of 'Let's stick a world first element in our new attractions wherever possible' is still present (as seen in the Press Event video). Shame.

I especially like the fact that what they've billed as a world's first really isn't, as the likes of Paultons and Farup already have seats that tilt...

Went to Angry Birds today and have to say it was quite good.

The 4D Cinema was really good, the effects they used were very impressive and the storyline quirky with a few comedic moments.

The Dodgems are great fun and I love the simple but effective cars too.

The rest of the area is ok, with a few simple but effective theming elements located around the area and nearby buildings, all I like very much with the possible exception of the pig graffiti near the cinema.

Whilst its nothing remarkable and not a patch on the likes of Disney & Universal, it's a nice small/basic retheme of the old area in which has filled what was mostly a dead and soulless area with a bit of life. Full review on its way.

Lot's of filming was done today... POV's, POV's on everything!!!111!

I agree, I was rather overly impressed with it all, and think Marc's comment on how it looks better when you go did take effect. The Cinema was great, an effect or two was overused but overall it was just a laugh, as were the dodgems, which I think were a little over crowded.

I didn't get to ride detonator, (50 weeks without being exploded) but I do agree aswell, that some of the minor details bring a little more fire to the area. Sure it's not perfect, and sure, there is better stuff in the park, but I couldn't help but pull this face as I walked away from the area;

Not_bad.jpeg