Colossus

Adam J

• 2 weeks later...

According to John Wardley, the fact that Colossus is rough can save your life! :o

"Towards the end of the day's filming, Tim lined up a shot of myself and Emma in closeup, with the Colossus rollercoaster (which I'd designed several years earlier) in the background. I thought this was rather odd, as all the other filming had been done on the new "Swarm" wing-coaster, but he was insistent that this particular ride must be in shot. Then whilst the camera was running he said to Emma, "Emma, could you tell John why his rollercoasters are so important to you."

What followed stunned me.

Emma said: "Several years ago I started to get headaches, and my doctor sent me to hospital to have a brain scan. They discovered a tumour in my brain the size of a satsuma. But they said something had happened to me during the previous week that had caused the fluid in the tumour to start to disperse and release the pressure in my brain. If this hadn't happened I'd have been dead by then. They asked me what event might have caused this. I told them I'd been to Thorpe Park and on the Colossus rollercoaster with my friends, and they said that had saved my life."

"What do you think of that, John?" the director asked as the cameras were rolling. For once I was speechless. Perhaps designing theme park rides isn't so fatuous and puerile after all."

('Creating my own Nemesis')

Apparently the restraints are bulky as they are today for health and safety reasons - I heard that when the ride originally opened, it featured different restraints, but these somehow allowed your legs to dangle off the side of the car! :o

Yep - early in it's life it had metal plates on the side of it's trains which stopped you from being able to do so but were a massive pain, they were removed when these new restraints which stop you lifting your legs were installed.

After my first ride on Colossus on Thursday, I came off quite surprised. I was expecting to come off with a headache, however the ride was so much smoother than I was expecting and I thoroughly enjoyed it even though there isn't much room in the trains but it wasn't to bad. Only downside was the restraints seemed to be playing up a bit as they had to keep being locked and re locked multiple times on our train. But after the ride I had on Colossus on Thursday, I will definitely be going on it more often! 

Colossus was on one train until past 11am with over an hour's queue today, and four rows (yes, four!) blocked off for fastrack. Sort it out Thorpe.

Do you mean exit pass users? Not sure how you can tell how many rows would be used for Fastrack, and only 8 Fastrackers per train would be quite reasonable for Colossus!

Not entirely sure where Fastrack users go for Colossus when RnR operates (they both might use the Fastrack queue?). But since there wasn't any RnR trials today(?), then surely Fastrack users would just use the Fastrack queue anyway?

Well I don't think they were, there was nobody batching there.