Colossus

Adam J

Just came off Colossus half an hour ago after my fifth ride on Colossus today, third in a row, and I didn't bang my head at all once. I still don't find it rough, but on train two, car three, there was a lot of vibration going through it and through your legs, but every other seat, including the back rows on both trains, I still find it relatively smooth, and I actually think the bit of roughness it has, is what makes the ride for me.

1 hour ago, BaronC. said:

Anyone who says they enjoy Colossus clearly experiences too many knocks to the head on the ride and suffers such severe concussion they forget how bad it is.

Likewise, anyone who says that has clearly been manipulated by Billy and Jigsaw on Saw the Ride.

I'll always love Colossus, I just like its layout so much. I'd usually prioritise airtime over inversions but there's just such a good flow between the elements (and visually, it's very well designed, with the heartline rolls next to the path which leads to Saw and also the cobra roll which acts a great figurehead for the ride). 

Although it has a similar focus to the Smiler, in my opinion, it's far superior. The Smiler feels like inversions for the sake of inversions, whereas Colossus' layout takes on a journey which really feels like you are covering ground.

Either way, I love Colossus and its age and ever growing rattle will never take away from it being a valued and enjoyable coaster. Saying that, however, some TLC wouldn't go a miss...

Colossus ending feels like someone in the boardroom said "Let's turn our riders upside down twice during barrel rolls at the end of the coaster". Then someone said that's not enough do three, then another said do four is better and finally a person someone said do five because it should be a useless gimmick to make people think it is cool.

As pluk said recently somewhere else on here, 'true' record breakers like inversions and height etc are not necessarily gimmicks compared to say "FULLY DEDICATED TO VR" is...

Besides, Colossus is the same layout as Monte Makaya in Brazil, only with two bonus inversions to get that record...

21 hours ago, CharlieN said:

...............I'll always love Colossus, I just like its layout so much. I'd usually prioritise airtime over inversions but there's just such a good flow between the elements (and visually, it's very well designed, with the heartline rolls next to the path which leads to Saw and also the cobra roll which acts a great figurehead for the ride). 

Although it has a similar focus to the Smiler, in my opinion, it's far superior. The Smiler feels like inversions for the sake of inversions, whereas Colossus' layout takes on a journey which really feels like you are covering ground...........

I certainly agree with some of those points, and the remarks from various members proves how different we all are, physically as well as emotionally. I've given up wearing earings so my six or so rides on it this year have proved fine, and I love the front and back as much.

• 2 months later...
Just now, Max9874 said:

They should get new trains on this ride, and I've seen a lot of people asking for lap bars but I think people might fall out if they have those especially when it goes slow through the heartline rolls.

The riuht type of lap bar can keep you perfectly secure upside down - im not sure if colossus would suit lap bars personally as it does throw you around a fair bit!

9 minutes ago, EpicSmatty said:

Do any roller coasters in the UK which go upside down have lap bars? Just curious as all the ones I've been on have had over the shoulder restraints

I don't think so, though presumably Icon will have lap bars.  So next year is the time.

Should of course remember that there are  (essentially) clones of Colossus that do have lap bars - Altair at Cinecitta World being the prime example!

6 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

I don't think so, though presumably Icon will have lap bars.  So next year is the time.

Should of course remember that there are  (essentially) clones of Colossus that do have lap bars - Altair at Cinecitta World being the prime example!

Perhaps then UK law doesn't permit it? Just a thought that crossed my mind

Rides in the UK are subject to the exact same requirements as all other European rides, though we probably enforce the standards more rigorously than some countries do.  OTSRs are not an automatic requirement for inverting rides. 

As for UK looping coasters with lap bars, G Force sort of counts, but previously there were coasters with actual lap bars only, mainly (exclusively?) Schwarzkopfs.  Thunderlooper and Tower of Terror/Twist and Shout were both lap bar only.  Possibly the ones at 'Mingo and Dreamland's Looping Star too, but I never rode those so I'm not sure.

9 hours ago, BaronC. said:

I do hate the clones of Colossus, they should really think of something more original rather than copying our coaster. Then again, they're probably still smoother than a Colossus.

3 hours ago, Max9874 said:

I do hate the clones of Colossus, they should really think of something more original rather than copying our coaster. Then again, they're probably still smoother than a Colossus.

Its not copying, its cloning, it happens all the time in the theme park industry..

Though, tbh, Altair looks soooo much better than Colossus anyway.

The Lap Bars probably make the ride nowhere near as painful as it currently is..

Honestly Lap bars wouldn't save the coaster, its the track (mainly because the ride is built on reclaimed land which has  settled over the years) track creates the roughness, new trains would help for a few months but wouldn't save it, really what they done so far (walls and concrete around support bases to reduce any more settling) is the best they could do without replacing the whole ride. Similar situation for Saws sudden left then right neck snap at the bottom of the main drop, can be fixed easily

personal opinon if you want to make Colossus less painful, just wrap the restaints and seats in foam padding, help alot

Also main reason looping coasters don't have lap bars is because the GP are not used to that idea. It be perfectly safe, but the public would be nervous as there used to over the shoulder for anything going upside down (you would get a similar fear from the GP if a inverting RMC appeared in this country)

Also first post :)

Honestly, I don't find Colossus painful or even that rough :blink: If anything it doesn't seem as bad as it used to be! Sure, the restraints can feel a bit heavy on your legs by the end, and I'd say it "vibrates" a lot :P But that's why you need to keep your head forward, otherwise it can be uncomfortable.

In fact, I think it's my favourite coaster at the park ^_^ 

I've always found Colossus uncomfortable, and moreso than SAW (even in the later years where I now do feel the roughness of SAW). I think even to have the similar 'fabricated' restraints used on Maverick and Kinda Ka (Clarification?) would benefit. Rides like California Screamin' with its next Gen trains (at the time) are noticeably smooth compared to Colossus; but 1729 is most likely correct in the sense of it is most likely the track.

Now I may be wrong; but isn't Colossus technically one of the oldest 'Intamin thrill' coasters with OTSR and inversions - so, take out the wood coasters, bobsleigh, Gigas and family coasters before it - yes I know that takes a lot out but most of their work before Colossus after a skim through RCDB seems to be a lap bar or a different type of coaster entirely; and around that a fair few coasters have been refurbished and/or relocated. I suppose the only comparable would be Avalancha at the same age; in regards to if it is just Colossus or if it is just age.

Colossus is riding the best it has in years recently, there are so many other coasters out there that are rougher, Colossus is fine.

All I reckon you would gain from putting lap bars on would be easier boarding (although I enjoy the challenge at the moment) and slightly more fun on the air time hill, no way to justify the cost with those gains. New trains wouldn't make it ride any "smoother", not that it's rough in the first place.

Altair's square supports offend me, much prefer how Colossus looks!

As for the comment about does Colossus ride it's inlines too slow for lapbars, go ride Karnan and see how messed up and slow it takes it's heartline.

I haven't ridden Colossus this season and frankly don't intend to.  Last season was by far its worst, and no matter how I try to ride it, the first half completely batters me to death.  The inline twists are fun, but nowhere near fun enough to justify the beating from the first half.

Based on my last ride, it's down there with the worst Vekoma SLCs for roughness.

I think Colossus is no longer redeeming in any way now. Last year it was only an unpleasant ride towards the back with it being slightly more bearable towards the front.

However, my last ride which was near the front sealed it completely. Dreadful, painful, a long lasting headache, nothing good about it whatsoever. It had clearly got worse. I want it to go, no new trains, just go. That's a large plot of land which could actually be used for something enjoyable.

But that won't happen as it seems to be the only ride getting a queue.

New trains would actually make the back rows accessible without requiring an in depth knowledge of yoga and attempting to keep blood flowing to squished legs...

Plus would certainly make the lives of platformers easier... Can't imagine lifting those restraints aren't helping towards preventing any long term back problems...