Colossus

Adam J

That train is such a terrible design. Have to scramble in head first, the restraints are typical Intamin stiff as hell. The whole track is abandoned and dirty. For goodness sake, Europa Parks rides are kept looking brand new. I still ride it though, because (In my opinion!) it's still smoother than a Gerstlauer Eurofighter / Sore Saw. I don't know how Gerst managed to make such horrible track sections. Back on topic, despite some serious issues with Colossus, I still really enjoy Intamin's rides. Whether it is their own developed technology such as the hydraulic launch, the free fall track section or simply just a good old fun rollercoaster like Colossus.

The trains are half the fun of getting on. When a fat person is stuck in the back row all hell breaks loose and it's absolutely hilarious.

Colossus is riding nicely this season, I must say. Rode it for the first time a couple weeks back and the only noticable roughness was the entry and exit of the cobra roll, besides this it was very... tolerable. I'd say saw's jolt has been cleared up this year too, but I'm yet to ride it an excessive amount to the point that I notice it badly..

• 4 weeks later...

I think I saw on it one when I last went? Though I only saw it briefly as I walked past, though it seemed like it was only on one?

Though to be honest here is my best advice for anyone who wants to ride this thing.

Spoiler

Don't ride it. 

I would like to see some spruce up of the area around it soon though as it kinda looks like nobody cares with that area..

Colossus is starting to look so run down now they might as well just send it over to Chessington.. At least it would have a semi-decent throughput :lol:

Yep, it's still on one train -_- 

2 hours ago, browneggsandham said:

Was only on one train yesterday. 80 min queue most of the day.

Is there an issue with the second train or something, I did find it odd that they didn't introduce it.

I'm pretty sure this must be the case :P 

I've only ridden Colossus once this season - since 2013 I've maybe ridden it approx 40ish times per season.  That one ride on it this year was beyond painful - my head got an almighty head bashing coming out of the vertical loop and its put me off riding again this season at least. 

Has Colosssus been on one train operation all season?  

1 hour ago, Terry Terry said:

Yep. The worst ride with the worst queues with almost the worst capacity.

That begs me the question, if one train is being repaired etc. shouldn't they have had 3 trains in the first place with one being inspected?

Not quite all season - certainly the majority of the summer though.

11 hours ago, Terry Terry said:

Yep. The worst ride with the worst queues with almost the worst capacity.

That begs me the question, if one train is being repaired etc. shouldn't they have had 3 trains in the first place with one being inspected?

Very few parks will have a completely spare train.  Especially with the biggest manufacturers, a complete train costs a 6 or 7 figure sum, which simply isn't cost effective to have as something on standby.  

It does happen (Stealth being a prime example), but it is rare and doesn't always mean the ride will run at full capacity (Stealth being a prime example).

4 hours ago, Flipper said:

What do you mean almost? It's pretty much is one of the lowest throughput coasters surely, along with SAW? (Atleast SAW feels like it moves more frequently)

Saw has the lowest theoretical throughput of the major coasters.  However, it is one of the more consistent rides and regularly achieves decent numbers.  It's also one of the few rides which can exceed it's theoretical throughput if it has a large enough (and good enough!) team. 

Colossus and Inferno are probably the 2 worst performing major coasters at the moment, though in fairness they have been doing better this summer to be fair..

Inferno the worst performing? Really?

Saw, Stealth, and Colossus are all probably performing worse than the B&M's right?

I do think with the high queues and demand they should have a third train on Colossus , though then I realise this is not Europa where everything runs perfectly..

Lets hope the second train is repaired soon.. Or god help the Queues on Fright Nights..

13 hours ago, BaronC. said:

Very few parks will have a completely spare train.  Especially with the biggest manufacturers, a complete train costs a 6 or 7 figure sum, which simply isn't cost effective to have as something on standby.  

I'm fully waiting to be proved wrong here but I'm almost certain standard coaster trains, even from the big boy manufacturers do not cost anywhere near the 1 million figure, as for 10 million, even for Disney custom crazy ones that seems very off. Go on then prove me wrong!

It's pretty much already been said by many other members but the cost of having a completely spare train in order to keep your coasters at capacity while another is off for unplanned work or awaiting a part is just too high to justify for most. As well as that out right cost, you'd also have to have a place to store it, which is yet more money. 

8 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Out of interest what happened at Inferno to make it one of the worst performing ones. In theory, that should be the best as it has one of the longer rides and one of the better ride systems.

As has been said, loading and restraint checking systems have been slowed down in the recent wave of Merlin being more cautious on the safety front (some of the reasoning behind it is also justified).  I've noticed things have gotten better recently though to be fair; likely down to staff finally adjusting to the new procedures.  With a good team, Inferno can be one of the best performing rides...unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

7 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

Inferno the worst performing? Really?

Saw, Stealth, and Colossus are all probably performing worse than the B&M's right?

I do think with the high queues and demand they should have a third train on Colossus , though then I realise this is not Europa where everything runs perfectly..

Lets hope the second train is repaired soon.. Or god help the Queues on Fright Nights..

Stealth performs reasonably well and consistently.  It can do slightly better than it normally does (and it does!), but it's not awful.  

Colossus is by far the worst (even when on 2 trains).  Mixture of reasons for it to be honest.

On 05/09/2017 at 4:39 PM, Mark9 said:

Out of interest what happened at Inferno to make it one of the worst performing ones. In theory, that should be the best as it has one of the longer rides and one of the better ride systems.

Laziness and lack of care?

On 05/09/2017 at 8:48 AM, BaronC. said:

Saw has the lowest theoretical throughput of the major coasters.  However, it is one of the more consistent rides and regularly achieves decent numbers.  It's also one of the few rides which can exceed it's theoretical throughput if it has a large enough (and good enough!) team. 

Sorry to be pedantic, but surely no coaster can exceed it's theoretical throughput?! If it can, it's theoretical throughput has been calculated incorrectly!

3 hours ago, pluk said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but surely no coaster can exceed it's theoretical throughput?! If it can, it's theoretical throughput has been calculated incorrectly!

The latter. I'm sure there are people who've worked on it more recently than I have but aims to my memory were around 850-900pph and it often achieved 950-975pph.

5 hours ago, pluk said:

Laziness and lack of care?

Laziness, yes. Lack of care... not so much. More like 'we'll introduce so much red tape and new procedures so actually operating a ride is more like navigating your way through a laser maze with 28 people who have no idea what's going on waiting for your assistance'

The parks can choose to change their 'theoretical' throughputs each season. Even part way through seasons when new procedures are introduced. Obviously the main one that matters is the one that's given to them by the manufacturer when it opens, but some rides are so far gutted, like the entirity of chessingtons lineup that it doesn't even matter because they struggle to reach half this theoretical throughput but still may be able to beat the one said by the park. Even with a good, caring, non lazy team.

Mildly off topic pedantry on my part continues, but whatever!

Surely the theoretical throughput is a constant; what the hardware can do at it's peak running without interruption, regardless of whatever process and faff is put in the way of ops? Targets on the other hand, are set according to how the park chooses to run/maintain/resource the ride in its current state.

Collosus, for example, would still have a theoretical throughput of a full train leaving the top of the lift hill the moment the other train clears the blocks at the end of the ride. Thorpe have let it deteriorate to that never being possible on two trains because of lifthill motor speed/stall issues, and at the moment single train issues, meaning their target now will be about a third of that theoretical throughput. But that theoretical throughput could be strived for again if Thorpe brought it all back up to opening spec.