Colossus

Adam J

1 hour ago, planenut said:

During downtime on Stealth yesterday, I sampled Colossus as I do did like the layout and the ride, but my goodness, it was the worst ear bashing on a ride for years even though I was trying to counter it with holding my head against the padding.

Colossus lean forwards into the restraint with ur arms up stops the head banging as ur shoulders/arms act as a buffer to ur body moving side to side 

3 hours ago, RobF said:

Colossus lean forwards into the restraint with ur arms up stops the head banging as ur shoulders/arms act as a buffer to ur body moving side to side 

Thanks, I think I'll wear a boxing helmet next time. In the meantime, I will be talking with engineering.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ConnorJ said:

Anyone know why Colossus has been closed and the area fenced off for the past 2 day?

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

If the work it needed needed a cherry picker or something to get to part of the track they would usually close of the area - hopefully that’s all and it’s back up tomorrow!

I guess there’s something major that needs sorting relating to either parts or structure, especially if it’s closed off, 

Hopefully it’ll come back soon as the park will desperately need it with schools season coming up. 

In a perfect wotld, Colossus will get the Python treatment and get retracked amongst new trains and a refreshed queue line. The current trains are not the best and the sooner they are replaced the better. 

• 3 weeks later...

On my visit to thorpe today, I had my first ever back row ride on Colossus, I was pleasantly suprised since I heard so much that the back row was awful. I didnt actually get much headbashing, only on the bottom of the drop and transition into the cobra roll, the rest really was suprisingly smooth. The only bad thing was how little legroom there was, the restraints slightly squeezed my legs but thankfully it didnt affect my ride on the back row. I still prefer the other rows though

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/22/2018 at 8:16 AM, Cedar Creek said:

I guess there’s something major that needs sorting relating to either parts or structure, especially if it’s closed off, 

Hopefully it’ll come back soon as the park will desperately need it with schools season coming up. 

In a perfect wotld, Colossus will get the Python treatment and get retracked amongst new trains and a refreshed queue line. The current trains are not the best and the sooner they are replaced the better. 

Maybe Loggers Leap as well, due to its condition.

Edited by 08newmanb

On 8/1/2018 at 4:47 PM, Alee298 said:

One train definitely has new wheels, went on Monday and it was nice and smooth (for Colossus) only headbashing around the cobra roll! I do wish they would get trains like Altairs though, would give some much needed leg room and remove the head bashing completely!

I definitely agree. Also, to reduce queueing times, maybe 3 NEW trains, but keep it on a 2 train operation, incase 1 train needs repairing.

New trains are possible but would be of the original design.  since due to the width of the track as has been said before leg room cant be increased. and to be honest if you put lap bars in you prob make the head banging worse as your head could then travel more than a few inches side to side.

Also 3 new trains. impractical not just for cost of buying them but, theirs only undercover workshop space for 1 train. and block sections wouldn't allow them to be swapped around. only reason Stealth has 3 is due to the increased maintenance cost of the track and hydraulics 

37 minutes ago, 1729 said:

New trains are possible but would be of the original design.  since due to the width of the track as has been said before leg room cant be increased. and to be honest if you put lap bars in you prob make the head banging worse as your head could then travel more than a few inches side to side.

Also 3 new trains. impractical not just for cost of buying them but, theirs only undercover workshop space for 1 train. and block sections wouldn't allow them to be swapped around. only reason Stealth has 3 is due to the increased maintenance cost of the track and hydraulics 

The workshop was extended a while back pre2009 there is room for 2 trains in the shed ( dont know if routinely used or just over winter for rebuilds)

2 hours ago, 1729 said:

Well maybe expand the workshop, with another switchpoint, but inside the workshop. A third train is a spare train, incase another needs fixing, to reduce queueing time, just incase. Also, we can put in head cushions on each restraints, to smoothen the experience.

Edited by 08newmanb

1 hour ago, 08newmanb said:

Well maybe expand the workshop, with another switchpoint, but inside the workshop. A third train is a spare train, incase another needs fixing, to reduce queueing time, just incase. Also, we can put in head cushions on each restraints, to smoothen the experience.

They don't even use stealths third train correctly. The third is always in strip down so when one is faulty there is no spare to replace it. Colossus could get new trains with more leg room and lap bars but intamin would ask for money and Merlin don't spend money unless absolutely necessary.

• 1 month later...

Interestingly enough, Thorpe did a Colossus post the other day and every single comment complained about the head banging. It's an interesting thing that the park will invest in failures like Love Island Nights, I'm a Celeb and VR on Derren Brown, but a proven winner like new Colossus trains will never see the light of day. It shows you that the drive and ambition is completely misplaced within the company as a whole.