Chessington General Discussion

Ash

At least the Amazon project will bring in a high-capacity multi-train coaster to eat up the queues and improve the situation 🙃

Sarcasm aside though... It does bring 3 new rides I suppose, even if 2 of them are only small junior flats.

3 rides is 3 rides though, and will spread the crowds more, even if just a little. 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, Inferno said:

It does bring 3 new rides I suppose, even if 2 of them are only small junior flats. 3 rides is 3 rides though, and will spread the crowds more, even if just a little. 🤷‍♂️

We also have the two rides opening later this year. Only shame is ALL new attractions are low capacity, but it will certainly create more rides to spread crowds than now.

I visited yesterday, and honestly? The park was 'fine'.

It wasn't that busy for Easter holidays. Operations were standard for Chessington. That's not to say they were objectively good, but they were the usual I come to expect from Chessington over recent years.

Dragon's Fury opened late and Tomb Blaster wasn't open by the time I left. So a bit of poor form there.

My biggest bugbear with Chessington is their advertised queue times being wildly wrong. Just as some examples:

Kobra listed as 30mins, was one cycle wait

Tiger Rock as 90mins, was 40mins

Dragon's Fury as 50mims, was 80mins

Gruffalo as 60mins, was 15mins

This has regularly been a problem for the park, and seems to be a bigger problem this year. They have new systems for scanning Fastrack and RAP which might be affecting things and highlighting these problems even more. But it's concerning just how awfully wrong these times are.

• 3 weeks later...

I went on Tuesday and had a fantastic day. I'm so biased towards Chessington though. I completely wear the rose tinted glasses. There's clearly issues across the park but sometimes, just sitting back and enjoying the day means more.

+ Four laps on Scorpion. Why did I love it so much?! I have no idea

+ Mexicana looks great with all the new little props in the area

+ I love Grufflalo so much. It stands tall with Wallace and Gromit and Hex as one of the best dark rides in the country

+ Dragons Fury now sits in the under-rated category. What a fantastic rollercoaster

+ Great to see the investment in the park. New rides, more announcements on rides, new music.

+ Croc Drop is fine but doesn't spin anymore. 

+ Bought loads of merchandise because it was the original 1987 logo. Shameless

+ Free food for the Lorikeets now. 

- Blue Barnacle was almost as good Black Buccaneer. Surprised how high it went actually.

- Very few boats on Tiger Rock. Park needs to invest in new boats now, it's going to be awful in Summer

- Tomb Blaster was rough. I don't like the new story or the guns it uses.

- Queue boards inaccuracy. Said 40 for Fury, was on the stairs, Said 40 at Vampire, was 5 minutes. 

- Lots of the Zoo area closed for refurbishment. Pirates Cove was very loud from construction.

- Maybe its my Disney exposure, but how thin are the queues. Vampire can only be walked single file for examples. it's so tiny!

Timber Tug Boat has now docked into Chessington. It’s going to imminently be renamed Trawler Trouble. The Ship with its new name and livery is expected to sail again within the next month.

Trawler Trouble  looks extremely immersive and follows Disney Standards. It’s hard to believe only 6 months ago it was a ride that resembled that of a Traveling Funfair. I knew that Timber Tug Boat was in for a full scale refit rather than a rename to Trawler Trouble. Chessington is the best Themed Park in England. I have always said that Chessington reminds me of the Disney Parks.

DC671E54-A435-4E37-8B47-684CB956F321.jpeg

Image from Chessington Buzz

• 1 month later...

Who else thinks Shipwreck Coast could be Themed around Pirates Of The Caribbean. The Island in the films is called Shipwreck Cove. Obviously Chessington’s are will be Shipwreck Coast. I think this could be due to copyright. The addition of Goats,Rats and a mermaid also point to this. If you remember in the first film there’s a Goat,Mermaid and Rats. Furthermore Shipwreck Cove is an Seaside Island. The colouring of the new Shipwreck Coast also matches Pirates Of The Caribbean. Can you please answer with your thoughts on my speculation

4 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Who else thinks Shipwreck Coast could be Themed around Pirates Of The Caribbean. The Island in the films is called Shipwreck Cove. Obviously Chessington’s are will be Shipwreck Coast. I think this could be due to copyright. The addition of Goats,Rats and a mermaid also point to this. If you remember in the first film there’s a Goat,Mermaid and Rats. Furthermore Shipwreck Cove is an Seaside Island. The colouring of the new Shipwreck Coast also matches Pirates Of The Caribbean. Can you please answer with your thoughts on my speculation

Nope.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:50 PM, Matt Creek said:

I wouldn’t say it’s Disney standards at all, but it does look very nice. A definite improvement from it’s sorry state at Thorpe. 

I’m glad the park has been working on presentation this year. 

What you on about?? This is true Disney killer quality!!

I have actually now decided after careful consideration to cancel my october outing to Walt Disney World. I dont see ANY point paying a small fortune and then flying 9 hours across the atlantic to go ride Rise Of The Resistance or Flight Of Passage when we have the super detailed pinnacle of theme park theming in the form of Trawler Trouble at our very own chessington!

9 hours ago, Martin Doyle said:

I have actually now decided after careful consideration to cancel my october outing to Walt Disney World. I dont see ANY point paying a small fortune and then flying 9 hours across the atlantic to go ride Rise Of The Resistance or Flight Of Passage when we have the super detailed pinnacle of theme park theming in the form of Trawler Trouble at our very own chessington!

Thats good then 😉 

took the trouble to cancel your Disney booking for you as it was still active 😉 

12 hours ago, Martin Doyle said:

@Martin Doyle this is probably the BEST desssion you have made. Why deal with the curfuffle of travel half way round the world,when Chessington is in our Country. Let’s face it Chessington is pretty identical to Disneyland Paris. The main difference being the absence of Disney Theming and the extortionate prices.Even the rides are the same as at Disneyland but themed diffrently. Elmer’s Flying Jumbos is almost the same as the Dumbo Ride,while Zufari is kilimanjaro safari‘s English twin. These are just a couple of examples that come too mind.

Trying to work out if trolling or being serious...😅

Last time I went to chessington I found it quite tired looking and whilst great for kids defo a bit dull for an adult lol (wasn't going for my benefit!), but thats fine as its a family park and we need those too. Disney is more of an all rounder.

Timber tug/trawler trouble looks like a bigger, rustier version of something you might get outside a supermarket.

• 1 month later...

There are reports online from various guests that Chessington has suffered a fire. Apparently Scourpeon Express one of the park’s original and best loved rides has gone up in flames. This news is poniant as the Hotel at Chessington’s sister Park also caught fire. Here is a video I’ve found on YouTube of Scourpeon Express today. https://youtu.be/wzdFZsOrpwo

@RobF I think this fire is the final nail in the coffin for Scourpeon Express. The ride is over 30 years old and becoming increasingly unreliable. The ride will probably require extensive repairs. I’m not sure if Chessington would invest in an aging attraction. Personally I love Scourpeon Express it’s a great Rollercoaster for all ages as well as being one of the Theme Parks original rides. I hope Chessington see reason to repair this Chessington classic. With Chessington’s history of repairing attractions,I think it’s safe to presume it’ll be closer for the rest of the season. Of course @RobF I hope I am wrong.