The Smiler

th13teen

I'm pretty convinced that it wasn't washed away. Mixing concrete so sloppy that it would run away is pretty moronic and also, more importantly, theres nowhere for it to wash away too. The ground is clay based, so reasonably resistant to drainage. You can't see the concrete purely due to the rain washing mud over the set concrete.

SW7 Statistics have been revealed thanks to the local newspaper of staffordshire!

It states that:

• The maximum speed of SW7 will be 85kph (just above 50mph)
  • The highest drop is 30m
  • It will have an track length of 1,170m
  • And will last a whole 165 secs
But the most interesting point is that it will have an capacity of 64 people per a ride!

Now that begs the question.. how?! :huh:

Credits to TST & The Sentinel for the information provided

SW7 Statistics have been revealed thanks to the local newspaper of staffordshire!

It states that:

• The maximum speed of SW7 will be 85kph (just above 50mph)
  • The highest drop is 30m
  • It will have an track length of 1,170m
  • And will last a whole 165 secs
But the most interesting point is that it will have an capacity of 64 people per a ride!

Now that begs the question.. how?! :huh:

Credits to TST & The Sentinel for the information provided

Same as Saw, which means you've got the old Gerstlauer cars. ;) Basically it's eight cars with eight seats. I'm guessing that's how they added it up. Keep in mind the "local newspaper of staffordshire" mightn't have inquired specifically about hourly capacity because, to a non-enthusiast, this figure is relatively pointless. My guess therefore is that the newspaper asked about "how many trains" there were or words to that effect, to which the park representative would've outlined that there were eight, each carrying eight people, and this was given the term "capacity" without the newspaper realising that to us enthusiasts, capacity is a whole different figure. To the readers though, it makes perfect sense. :)

Regarding the cars, I don't know if I should spoiler this or not but have done just in case.

Let's just hope they turn out to be the "standard Gerstlauer cars" just like Iron Shark with lap bars then eh!? ;) There's still a whole load of mystery in this project and it's actually getting quite exciting now!

Unless I'm thinking about this completely incorrectly, 165 second ride plus, say, 30-40 second loading, checking restraints, etc., with 64 (maximum) going around in all the cars leads to a theoretical throughput of about 1100-1200pph? (This is at a complete guess of course, and no doubt there's things I'm not taking into consideration, but I guess we should be expecting at least 1000pph for this with the given information)

As for the Tinie's comment, I guess not following the project means you're not aware of a couple of things, such as how the amount of digging done is different to that that's on the plans (I think?), as well as a couple of weather issues. However, it certainly seems behind schedule, with the plans stating vertical construction would begin September time, and then a rumoured date of 1st October floated about, but that also seems to have not happened. I guess we have to bare in mind that Gerstlauers do go up quickly, but it could well still be a push to get it back on schedule, if it is indeed behind schedule!

Unless I'm thinking about this completely incorrectly, 165 second ride plus, say, 30-40 second loading, checking restraints, etc., with 64 (maximum) going around in all the cars leads to a theoretical throughput of about 1100-1200pph? (This is at a complete guess of course, and no doubt there's things I'm not taking into consideration, but I guess we should be expecting at least 1000pph for this with the given information)

165 seconds is a fair bit longer than Saw isnt it? and that is actually impossible to hit the advertised 1200 (I believe Thorpe were not happy and Gerstlauer came in to try make it possible and they couldnt) and that gets around 1000pph.

165 seconds is a fair bit longer than Saw isnt it? and that is actually impossible to hit the advertised 1200 (I believe Thorpe were not happy and Gerstlauer came in to try make it possible and they couldnt) and that gets around 1000pph.

Saw is approx. 100 seconds (for the second car including the on-ride pre-show), which is what makes me think I'm completely wrong with my logic. :P

I guess the throughput will depend on many other things, such as loading and offloading times, whether it's dual-loading, any special elements, etc., so of course it's hard to tell at this stage what it will be. The thing is, I can't see Alton going for a coaster with a (theoretical) throughput of under 1000, but, I dunno, it seems a bit more likely the more you think about it... :S

This makes me wonder why TST are having a massive debate about new trains when I've just released 8 trains full of 8 riders = 64 people!

Thank you Sidders! :P

I guess the rumour about SW7 having normal Gerstlauer trains was true! :closedeyes:

I am not sure it's entirely accurate that these will be the same as Saw's cars.

I was under the impression these will be two of them joined together, I.e. 16 per ride.

:)

The press statement mentioned by Dan:

In March 2013, the Alton Towers Resort will launch its biggest ever ride. The first of its kind in the world, the rollercoaster will be the biggest ever investment for a ride at the Resort.

Whilst many of the details are still a closely guarded secret, here are a few exclusive facts about the ride, codenamed Secret Weapon 7!

Highest drop – 30m

Maximum speed – approx 85km/hr which is 10km/hr faster than Air

Track length – 1,170m. This is 3x the length of Oblivion

Ride time – 165 seconds which is 3x the ride time of Rita

Passengers per ride train – 16 (4x rows of 4)

Minimum rider height – 1.4m

Location – X Sector, on the site of the old Black Hole ride

Investment for the Resort - £18m

Opening date – 16th March 2013

http://press.altontowers.com/news-alton-towers-resort-to-launch-world-first-rollercoaster-in-2013-11705 - Link

4 rows of 4 is...interesting to say the least.

(As a side note, with the track length being confirmed as 1170m, is that around the same to what was on the plans? Presumably people who've done No Limits recreations know the outside length track, and that may give an indication to how long the inside section is?)