Storm Surge

Marc

It would be very hard to come up with a practical soloution to the flooding rafts. The design they have makes it near impossible. Holes will always form. Its not really designed for the work it does and thus will devlop holes which allows water in. With no way for the water to come out, it just waits until someone tips it out. The ride has a terrible throughput which needs as many things as possible to speed it up, empting boats every cycle is slow and a waste of time. It is a water ride after all people do expect to get wet, so to solve a problem which isnt really important is just a watse of money.

Saying all that I am no SS supporter, its a terrible ride which looks horrible. The sooner it goes the better but the fault of a small lake forming in the boats isnt the main ones I would consider.

Out of Intrest do the others get you as wet as Storm Surge does?

I remember back when it opened apart from the guns you wouldn't get wet atall which obviously meant the boats didn't get water in them, now most of the time you'll hey a big splash and wet at the bottom obviously filling the boat more!

Same level of wetness from the ride side of things (I.e. not very), though Hansa's does also have the guns on the side...

So seemingly, it all stems from the stupid water bombs at the bottom, because the normal ride isn't good enough as a water ride to suit the tastes of riders... Add that into the factor that you end up sitting by those bombs for ages due to the throughput (why doesn't it follow the others and have constantly rolling platforms? Guess it's a H&S thing there) and it all adds up...

Whilst I'm not defending Storm Surge in any way, as I am fully aware of the problem, I hosted the ride for two years, and operated for a year also (you guys have no idea the hassle we got from the water in the boats problem) The fact that Storm Surge will be entering its FIFTH  season in 2015, and you guys are STILL moaning about. 

Yes, we have established there is an unnecessary amount of water in the boats, but this is out of any one on this websites control. If the Resort where that adamant to resolve the situation it would of been done so before the ride reopened in 2012.   

Just shows the attitude of Thorpe and it's staff then.

If there's something which is causing frustration and irritation to guests, and nothing can be done about it (there's something which could be done, but it'd involve spending money...) then you get rid of it. Unfortunately Thorpe is very good at keeping the Status Quo and ensuring their staff do the same thing.

If it's still being moaned about, it's still an issue. Therefore things should still be looking into and resolving. Innovative and fast moving mate.

Same level of wetness from the ride side of things (I.e. not very), though Hansa's does also have the guns on the side...

So seemingly, it all stems from the stupid water bombs at the bottom, because the normal ride isn't good enough as a water ride to suit the tastes of riders... Add that into the factor that you end up sitting by those bombs for ages due to the throughput (why doesn't it follow the others and have constantly rolling platforms? Guess it's a H&S thing there) and it all adds up...

Fair enough - when ive ridden Storm Surge this year ive noticed the spash at the bottom seems much bigger than it used to be and will come over the side of the boat more times than not 

• 2 weeks later...

Are you saying that in the case of 'Storm Surge over flooding Amity' that it would look terrible?

If so, I guess that was Merlin's bright idea when they made it look so bad, although theming should represent a creative vision of what it would like 'destroyed', not just paint it too look awful

The story is supposed to be that after all the huge tidal waves hit amity, they tried and couldnt get rid of all the water, so the amity fire department, created this to contain all the water. Thats to story for it, it was just never executed well enough to convey that story :)

Since when?

The storyline behind is and has always been a contraption to capture water built by some Hillbillys.

Thing is, Merlin literally took it apart in Florida, shipped it over and rebuilt it. It had the same structure in Florida, same slow lift, but it just seemed to work better out there (maybe because Cypress was a quaint little park, not trying to top Disney). No this doesn't give them the excuse to have just left it (it worked at Cypress because it was surrounded by trees so the structure was less obtrusive) but it did lure guests in (arguably more than Swarm did as 2012 numbers were down on 2011 although that is down to other factors). But still, the public like it, yes they could have done a lot better...

Storm2_zpsc433f4a6.jpg

But they didn't. 

storm_surge5662.jpg

Was never a particularly pretty ride in the first place.

I just always find it odd, it would have fitted well into Legoland with bold colours and stuff. Plus, until Chima battle galleons thing opened there wasn't a water ride bar the Wave Surfer, no water rides at a park in Florida? Yet in England we have water effects on every single ride at Legoland. Merlin logic for you.

2010-12-28_srs2.jpg

Loading was still slow in Florida too. 

thorpe-park.jpg

Oh and you do get a lovely view of Swarm and Stealth. And they even painted the Mega Store. So it's not all bad.

Storm4_zpscfa0511a.jpg

There were worse possible locations too...