The Crash Pad

Confuzzled

How can people say a bridge looks dull/awful? What were you expecting a 50 foot high cable bridge?

Because in a 'theme' park a bright blue meccano bridge shouldn't really cut it. This is what bridges look like with a theme, or even just made to look aesthetically pleasing....

1484889567_6c605abf5c_z.jpg?zz=1

Walt+Disney+World+Coronado+Springs+Resor

zimaling_bridge.jpg

While I was never expecting anything more, what we are getting looks like a disgraceful thing to have at the front of your park to welcome everyone in. Even if it is is 'just' for a couple of years.

I agree, although the park's entrance has always left a lot to be desired tbh...

(Horrendous temporary fencing queueline for tickets and rotting wood on all the entrance buildings, peeling paint etc...)

Would benefit greatly from a refurb of the whole entrance plaza in my opinion!

As for the new bridge however, :o !

Wait, is the crash pad right next to the bridge which you walk across to get to the dome?

If so, I think it will make everything look terrible! A temporary set of containers just sitting there in the middle of no where! I like looking over the lake to be honest but now....

Just on the subject of the bridge, will it still have the signs like 'saw' 'stealth' etc on them? I really thought they were a nice effect.

I can also see a new bridge on the way to the thrills workshop, does this mean there will be a dedicated entrance for hotel owners?

If so, I think we could be seeing ERT sometime soon because it would be easy for hotel guests and annual pass holders to get in(it has to benefit me) :P

The rides with ERT could be(based on the thrills workshop area) :

Stealth- amity cove

Swarm- swarm island

Detonator- amity cove

Possibly x no way out- near amity cove(lost city) -if it doesn't have a refurb ;)

Tidal wave- amity cove

Rush/vortex -lost city

Not all of these rides would be likely IF thorpe had ERT sometime soon but I am just suggesting them because they are close to both the main entrance and thrills workshop! Would be nice for me to see ERT seeing as I gotta annual pass ;)

Well, looks like I'm going against the general opinion, and say that this is perfect for the Crash Pad.

First of all, lets think about the entrance bridge. It is one of the best entrances to a theme park you can have - you're going over water onto an island of rides, taking you away from reality, and you can see a good number of rides. You then have the Dome; a huge domineering structure which is again a great feature. As it is, those two things are perfect in my opinion. The bridge is basic so, in a way, it doesn't draw attention to itself - it is not meant to be a key focus.

So, for the 'boardwalk' we are getting for the Crash Pad, what do you want? Do you want something amazing looking that draws attention to itself (ie - have a good sense of theming to it)? No, because then it makes people look at the bridge, and then the Crash Pad (and of course, we want as little attention on the Crash Pad as possible). So, you want something plain and simple, that blends in, and tries to disturb as little as possible. In other words, we want a nice quick bridge, that is the same style as the main entrance bridge, and we want it to blend in and feel as natural as possible. The way I see it, that's exactly what is going to happen.

Granted, this will inevitably take away from the entrance a bit, and nothing of this project is ideal, but when push comes to shove, this is the best we could ever get from this project in my opinion.

Well, looks like I'm going against the general opinion, and say that this is perfect for the Crash Pad.

And herein lies the issue... It's perfect... For Crash Pad, a bunch of shipping containers...

It's amazing the difference in effort between Swarm and this... Let's not make the bar too low guys...

I also think it's perfect. It reminds me of butlins.

Tbf, there's not much they could've done. Have a bridge which looks like the other bridge it connects to, or have an amazing walkway that clashes with the bridge.

Not really their fault the bridge is very tacky and 80s style, though their fault for not updating it.

First of all, lets think about the entrance bridge. It is one of the best entrances to a theme park you can have -

I wouldn't normally be so blunt but what the hey.

Go to more parks to see how entering a theme park should be. From the gravel car park, temporary mental fenced entrance area, bridge where you are bombarded by people trying to see you fastrack, refill capsules, photo passes, arcade game tickets and people trying to sell you a photo as you've just entered the place. It's no longer about that fantastic view of the rides.

The bridge is perfect for a park that goes from one extreme to the other. The awful Storm Surge to a fantastic ride with The Swarm and now putting the bar as low as possible with the Crash Pad.

I wouldn't normally be so blunt but what the hey.

Go to more parks to see how entering a theme park should be. From the gravel car park, temporary mental fenced entrance area, bridge where you are bombarded by people trying to see you fastrack, refill capsules, photo passes, arcade game tickets and people trying to sell you a photo as you've just entered the place. It's no longer about that fantastic view of the rides.

I don't particularly see what you're saying there as being blunt. Unfortunately, it is, at this stage difficult for me to go to new parks, for a variety of reasons, as you can appreciate.

However, I do think you've missed my point a little here. My point focused solely on the bridge as a setting. You go through the turnstiles and then you're greeted by a bridge, with a huge dome structure in front of you, and rides just past that and to the side of you. As you cross that bridge and approach the island of rides, it is like entering somewhere completely different; the chance to be away from reality. The setting of the bridge is just purely fantastic and in my it is the best you can have.

The points you made are slightly different. The gravel car park and ridiculous plaza area before the bridge, I totally agree, are not great. They don't set any tone and don't bring any excitement. However, as said, my point was focused on the bridge, as opposed to the entire entrance; likely me being a bit unclear there. As for what they've done with the bridge, with the selling of photopasses and drink capsules and such (in my personal experience though, I have only see those selling photopasses in recent years, with the drink capsules sellers more being around the dome), that is a good point you raise. It detracts from the rides, the experience, and isn't the greatest. Whilst I agree with what you're saying, I still don't think that takes anything away from what I was trying to say - the bridge helps create one of the best entrances you can have to a theme park. Unfortunately, what the park are doing with it is taking away from that.

Maybe the fact I haven't visited many parks means that my opinion on the entrance is skewed somewhat. However, the setting of the park means that the necessary inclusion of a bridge has, quite possibly inadvertenly given the park one of the best types of entrances to a theme park you can have. With a spruce up of the entrance plaza and car park (in particular) as well as the dome, I think it would do the park wonders, and helps the entrance bridge reach its full potential.

I think Mark's point is that the idea of the bridge is good...

The execution... Is lacking... Especially when this lovely view of the park is ruined by two cack and rusty water slides...

Also, just cos you're a student doesn't mean you can't visit new parks abroad, what do you think I used MY student loan on? ;)

While I doubt they will do anything about the fasttrack sellers etc, I am hoping they will wow us with a new entrance once the real hotel comes into fruition. I totally agree about the change of focus from the rides though. That entire area, not including the dome really needs a new and exciting look. The focus has to be on the rides you are about to experience.

The main entrance to any park is a key feature, and to me, Thorpe have neglected to move it on with the times.

It would be half decent if they could do something with the outside of the dome. It looks ridiculously naff, as Fredrico has suggested.

As for the Crash Pad, I can't see this working whatsoever, but then again I am sure that Merlin have more experienced people in marketing that would have conducted the appropriate research for this. I just honestly can't see why you would want to stay there, if anybody could give a few reasons?

There have been numerous planning applications for a permanent Hotel at Thorpe, but management haven't bitten the bullet with any of them, instead opting for this year's "testing the water" temporary installation.

There's a brief article on the previous submitted Hotel proposals at Total Thorpe Park: http://www.totalthorpepark.co.uk/features/futurehotel.shtml