Fright Nights 2013

Confuzzled

I think the audio across the park is very good this year, Whilst things like humpty dumpty were good in their time, having a more consistent theme park wide adds much more to the atmosphere..

The park wide music was also good with the director speaking throughout the track, and every now and then Perfect Day from You're Next playing was great, as the event goes on can see the roaming actors really getting into their rolls when this comes on!

Can I say SAW was absolutely shocking, the scenes and theming was good, although no different from what I remember but the actors were AWFUL, you wouldn't have thought they had seen the film

My problem with Saw's actor is that, it's just completely disregarding the source material. Dire as it may be, if I'm going into a maze themed around Saw with actual themed sets re-enacting the films, I'd like to see the actors do the same. I don't want to see people caked in white face-paint and dark shadows around they're eyes jumping out from the shadows before disappearing again. I want to see them dying.

Precisely, admittedly it is easier to jump out as someone and scare them than pretend to die and scare people but that's Saw. The movies aren't necessarily scary unless the whole 'gallons of fake blood and severed limbs' thing really freaks you out, its supposed to be twisted and sick-minded, and the maze doesn't do the films justice.

From a point of view of someone who loves Saw as a whole franchise I can still see where they have missed the point, Saw isn't meant to be scary in the way Thorpe advertise it as.

Take a movie like TCITW: I believe that film isn't meant to be scary also, its meant to change the rules of horror films and take you away from the typical horror film cliché. But Thorpe has advertised it as scary and I have yet to venture inside the maze but I believe the actual story has derailed to become scary for guests, and that's exactly what has happened with Saw.

Dying and being in pain is what Saw is, about making people suffer for what they have done but Thorpe have gone down the wrong route in filling it with jump-scares.

Universal tries its best to mix atmosphere with jump-scares and after watching countless videos on the mazes (yes I know I haven't actually been in them) they don't seem that scary. But after all maybe Thorpe could have really worked by taking a leaf from Universal's book. Some of the sets are there but unfortunately the atmosphere and detail is not in Saw Alive.

No wonder the public go in expecting to be terrified and come out disappointed that really its just a glorified walk through.

^ Why would they want to see them? The films are dire ;)

Very valid point, but if you're going in the maze, having actors trying to jump scare you makes the whole point of the 'SAW' maze pointless

My problem with Saw's actor is that, it's just completely disregarding the source material. Dire as it may be, if I'm going into a maze themed around Saw with actual themed sets re-enacting the films, I'd like to see the actors do the same. I don't want to see people caked in white face-paint and dark shadows around they're eyes jumping out from the shadows before disappearing again. I want to see them dying.

That is exactly what happened, everyone trying to do jump scares. I understand if you're in the pig masks you're obviously trying to scare people, but if you're in the traps, they should be begging for help etc not trying to scare you. One of the actors called Billy the Puppet Jigsaw at one point -_- although that is a more minor thing in comparison, I was just like NUH ITS NOT

That is exactly what happened, everyone trying to do jump scares. I understand if you're in the pig masks you're obviously trying to scare people, but if you're in the traps, they should be begging for help etc not trying to scare you.

Much like the Facility Workers in Cabin in the woods ;)

From a personal point of view, I find seeing people in pain is much more scary than someone screaming down your ear, jumpscares are good, but a maze full of them just makes it become predictable, standing there, seeing someone either trapped in, or begging you, makes you feel out of control of the situation, that feeling of the unknown is far more scary than the insisted shock of someone shouting.

That's what I'd like to see more in mazes, especially with Saw Alive, the unknown, not just actors hiding behind props screaming.

Back from Fright Nights today, park was literally dead after 8pm!!

Mazes done:

The Asylum x3

My Bloody Valentine x3

The Cabin in the Woods x2
Saw Alive x1

The Blair Witch Project x1

Due to there being nobody waiting (and my brother and friend daring me to), I went in My Bloody Valentine completely on my own!

Asylum is still the best maze in my opinion - no matter how much effort they put into new mazes it is still the most consistent and best in my opinion.

Very good day and evening today!

Due to there being nobody waiting (and my brother and friend daring me to), I went in My Bloody Valentine completely on my own!

It was a good experience but I wouldn't pay £15 for it tbh. Didn't really scare me though (but then not much scares me :lol: )

Asylum is still the best maze in my opinion - no matter how much effort they put into new mazes it is still the most consistent and best in my opinion.

Very good day and evening today!

Did you find the MBV actors were holding onto your back and pushing you through the maze.

Shame I had to leave at 7 due to my sister. :angry2:

My Bloody Valentine wasn't as good yesterday as it was on Friday in my opinion.

The fact that Harry Warden now appears at the very start of the maze ruins it in my opinion, as it should build up to seeing him. Also, apart from that bit you can't tell which actors are Harry Warden as the light on their helmet blocks the gas mask and most of the person from view (so they should turn those off).

The Cabin in the Woods was very enjoyable, and I think it is the second best maze in the park this year. We found the control room, but the buttons didn't do anything as there was nobody in the room shown on the monitors.

The Asylum is still the best imo, with the extra amount of smoke that it had yesterday (compared with Friday) and the very good actors it has this year it is much better than the others. The only problem is that the sirens are not loud enough!

Audio around the park is patchy - the My Bloody Valentine theme was playing around the park, but not through the speakers in the queueline for the maze itself (which was still silent). Sort it out Thorpe!

Also, CITW has no audio in the queueline.

Had a great day at Thorpe Park for Fright Nights
All the mazes are good, Cabin in the woods was the best out of the new mazes and we went on it a few times all the money had clearly gone on this maze leaving a little to be desired for My bloody valentine the thing that disappointed me most about this maze was there is not much to see and they really did not spend a lot on the costumes instead of using the ones that look anything like the ones of the movie with an axe they just had hard hats like a light attached to them and the paint flaking off and for the blair witch project clearly the budget for this was about the same as the film but as they say you cant polish a turd so they made a non scary film in to a non scary walk.

Saw & Asylum was epic as normal and the roaming actors were good but there to contained to the carousel area and not enough going around the park. But on the second day we did not see any your next actors....

Stealth was light up with some pretty colour changing lights and Saw had fire on the shop

all in all it was a very good few nights. When I go back I will deffo be heading straight to Cabin in the wood

I also like the new annoucments for the rides it works very well with stelth and some of the music for the flat rides is amazing.