Logger's Leap

Garyy

I think it's very unfortunate that due to being owned by the same company, Thorpe is suffering cuts as a result of something that happened at another park.

£50m is a huge loss but closure of rides is only going to put more people off and further increase this loss. As I have said, they need to be recovering the parks not dragging them down even further. Why not remove Samurai instead? It is a shadow of its former self and there are plenty of flats that can take its place (as they have done regularly throughout the last few seasons). Loggers on the other hand is a staple family ride and is very popular, especially during the summer months.

It's a difficult one for Merlin but big companies have to make big decisions. Their parks have gained a reputation for always having something new each year so that's how they attract people back instead of being able to attract people back without something new. It's not because the parks are bad, Towers should be great at always getting people back each year no matter what but the clientele these days just want something new each year or they'll postpone their trips. Tis a shame but at least we will always see new investment just always seemingly at the sacrifice of something else so the parksnever really grow.

Merlin are also suffering from Tussauds crazy spending. Thorpe especially, the park just doesn't have the demand or infrastructure really for the number of investments that Tussauds threw at it.

Budget cuts have always been a Merlin thing. They cut Fright Nights hours, opening times each year are slashed, rides only opening at peak seasons and stuff. It's not new, not because of Smiler. Merlin have always done it. Smiler has just heightened the situation. Out of all the parks though, I feel Towers will become fine again the quickest. Open Smiler and you'll get lots of people back, get the press done with and Towers is back to normal almost. Won't be quick, but they'll bounce back quicker than Thorpe because Towers always has great service and all roundness. Chessington is just best not talked about.

Anyway, Loggers. We all know they love to invest each year. It's not impossible that new for 2017 could be a tidied up Canada Creek. Slowly work on Loggers over 2016 to spread costs, making it more reliable, rebuilding the tunnel and just sprucing it up and then sort out the rest of the area over closed season and just make it feel new again. Nice, cheap and would sell quite well. Maybe even move Mr Monkey to the area and retheme the Banana Boat.

I think it's very unfortunate that due to being owned by the same company, Thorpe is suffering cuts as a result of something that happened at another park.

£50m is a huge loss but closure of rides is only going to put more people off and further increase this loss.  As I have said, they need to be recovering the parks not dragging them down even further.  Why not remove Samurai instead?  It is a shadow of it's former self and there are plenty of flats that can take it's place (as they have done regularly throughout the last few seasons).  Loggers on the other hand is a staple family ride and is very popular, especially during the summer months.

Id be extremely surprised if people are put off visiting because Loggers Leap is closed, its not like they are closing Stealth or something, along with the new investment I dont think Loggers being closed is really going to affect anything in the grand scheme of things.  

As previously said - I really can't see the point of keeping Canada Creek open next year, just shut the whole area off, would keep prying eyes away - and stop them from seeing nothing happening ;) Would give Guest Services an easier time too! It's good that Loggers is getting some maintenance and TLC, but I don't buy it taking all season to complete... maybe if guest figures pick up next year the "maintenance" will suddenly be completed ahead of schedule?

I fully anticipate Loggers opening again in 2017 with no changes whatsoever though, personally. Hey, you never know - maybe if they did close Canada Creek next year they'll finally remove the remains of CCR track and the level crossing barriers. 

The Smiler incident has obviously hit them hard - and combined with the Swarm not performing as expected, plus ageing rides starting to play up at Thorpe and CWoA (or with CWoA in particular, theming self destructing) - it's all quite a costly mix at the worst possible time. The Smiler accident has just compounded the issues that Merlin have been trying to fix... there will obviously have to be more cuts to come, all depending on how 2016 goes.

TLDR: we'll never see the main drop theming back on Dragon Falls either.

Loggers did seem to have down time this year on my visits, also noticed temporary pumps had been hired in to keep it open during peak season.

Also whilst I accept the point it's not going to help the parks family brand, I Woukd be surprised if wc16 was not marketed towards the whole family

Is Derren Brown and mind manipulation suitable for all the family?

Certainly not in the same way that Loggers is...

Can see Loggers closed and reopening in 2017 as a (claimed) new attraction as it means the park can close it for cost saving yet claim it as a new experience.

Whether that's the right thing to do or not is another story, but with the potential the park will see a fair share of 'new' viditors next year some may well not even know the ride existed even.

I still hope that the ride does reopen the following year, hopefully with some improvements. It doesn't necessarily need re-routing (except retracting in places) but just a returned/improved tunnel and improved effects and theming even really.

There seems to be loads of different rumours flying around from loads of different sources. I wouldn't be surprised if Thorpe still haven't 100% decided their plans for the ride.

Just remembered that next year Thorpe will likely submit an MTDP to the council. Might give us some indication as to their plans for Loggers / Canada in general.

I can only assume that Thorpe mainly want to make Loggers like a whole new ride, considering it's one of the park's oldest rides, having been there since the 80s. If this means bringing back the tunnel, adding some new effects...or even having some major work done to the layout*, then I'd be very happy!

(* Please let there be a backwards section!!!)

If it was Thorpe's decision, it would probably remain open. Likely the powers above already set out a new policy regarding all Mack log flumes and have recently imposed it on Thorpe hence the lack of notice that its going SBNO until removal? It's not a coincidence that The Flume at Towers will also be closed/removed next year.

They don't have medium term plans for unexpected decisions like this and hoping for backwards sections, tunnels and a redesign will just disappoint sadly.

If you're changing your parks target audience to families, then closing/removing one of the few remaining family focused rides that you have does not make sense, unless the plan is refurbish the ride and entire area and make Canada Creek a new family friendly section of the park, whilst coinciding it with the big 'family friendly' push when it reopens.

Opening 'experience' type attractions that have no 're-ridability' such as IAC and DB's new thing is not the way to get families into the park.