Marc

2019 Season

19 minutes ago, Ivsetti said:

It seems like nothing major will be happening for 2019. Who knows for 2020? 

The Swarm's planning permission was released 4/02/11 (or exactly 2 weeks and 8 years from today). This will imply Project 2020 potentially wasn't a roller coaster OR the ride's construction has been scrapped for now (maybe in favour of replacing Loggers?).

A major 2020 project would require planning permission asap.

Ghost Train had it's planning application put in in October 2014 for example. More importantly, since there's no current valid MTDP, the park would have to submit a full application, which is a slightly longer process. I would already see it as very unlikely that a major investment is coming in 2020, and as time goes on, that likelihood only decreases.

A medium-sized investment (say a new flat ride) would probably have to go in late summer / early autumn.

On 2/17/2019 at 6:00 PM, Reece_Crockford said:

Living Nightmare is on the Thorpe Park app. Advertising it to open at 3PM. Could this be an all year round atracion this year or not? Screenshot_20190217-175522.thumb.jpg.c637106a3ad7cc0da8dcbfc5778207b0.jpg

It opens 3pm normally on Fright Nights. I imagine this is just a mistake on opening dates. 

In something potentially directly related to 2019...

Interestingly the same logo as this gaming thing: https://www.hypdgaming.com

Coincidence (Thorpe using a random image of the word hyped)? Or some sort of sponsorship / partnership?

Years ago (2004/2005 I think) Thorpe has PS2 Weekenders over summer where you could compete in random games and competitions. Could they do something like that again? Maybe have "A year of competition" or "A year of games and fun?"

At this stage, feels like anything is possible...

That's a massive tie in if true, HYPD have an incredible 3000 subscribers on YouTube 😮

Actually to be fair they have a decentish amount of "likes" on Facebook and Twitch but yeah.... meh. Love all the people thinking it's going to be a Hyper coaster announcement, wouldn't put it past Merlin doing that on purpose after recent tormenting of the enthusiast "community" 😂 Unlike Paulton's who sound like they are getting a Mack after hinting it...

1 hour ago, MattyMoo said:

Good detective work @EpicSmatty

Can't say this has got my "HYPD".

I agree with you there! I am very concerned at the direction TP is heading. it is worrying that they think this sort of thing will appeal to people, to pay to come to a theme park, something which they could do from their own home and probably better! Merlin seem to gradually be abandoning TP. It is their 40th birthday let's see some more on that! Get some nostalgia going, bring back some of that....the rangers rumoured would have been a great addition for example, not some game tournaments! New for 2019....a gaming tournament. Don't get me wrong I am sure there are some people who would love that and would find it fun, but I sadly doubt it's going to pull the crowds in.

I think it's clear signs of appealing to the new interests of younger visitors by setting up a gaming competition. As I said, I don't feel 2019 will be a major year as leadership changes.

I don't mind what their events are for this 1 year as long as long-term the park gets themselves to where they need to be. However basic things like park cleanliness and look, ride availability and other basic necessities for a nationally recognised theme park must improve starting this season. So far it seems they are working hard on that (many areas of the park washed and repainted).

1 hour ago, Brad said:

it is worrying that they think this sort of thing will appeal to people

It will appeal to people (and I feel also the demographic of the "nation's thrill-capital"), but I'm hoping the park realise the limited audience this will appeal to. Also, Fortnite is set on an Island so it kind of makes sense why they might have chosen this.

Also, HYPD is definitely not a ride or anything like that BUT until we actually see the event (who knows, it might actually be good) I'd refrain from speculating how rubbish and out of tune and so forth this event could be. 

So this actually isn't the first time HYPD have been at Thorpe, they did a live-stream during Fright Nights last year: 

Oddly their Facebook page has far more followers than their other social channels, ~80,000 compared to ~3,000

And their lowest engagment posts? Fortnite.

Fornite's receiving a lot of ridicule seeing as mostly kids play it now so I'm guessing maybe another "out-of-touch-hipster-decision" in terms of IP choice as it's quite quickly becoming out-dated especially as Apex Legends is tipped to be the new Fortnite for the older gamer demographic (14 y/o+).

The decision to target gamers nonetheless IMO is a wise one.

1 hour ago, Ivsetti said:

I think it's clear signs of appealing to the new interests of younger visitors by setting up a gaming competition. As I said, I don't feel 2019 will be a major year as leadership changes.

I don't mind what their events are for this 1 year as long as long-term the park gets themselves to where they need to be. However basic things like park cleanliness and look, ride availability and other basic necessities for a nationally recognised theme park must improve starting this season. So far it seems they are working hard on that (many areas of the park washed and repainted).

It will appeal to people (and I feel also the demographic of the "nation's thrill-capital"), but I'm hoping the park realise the limited audience this will appeal to. Also, Fortnite is set on an Island so it kind of makes sense why they might have chosen this.

Also, HYPD is definitely not a ride or anything like that BUT until we actually see the event (who knows, it might actually be good) I'd refrain from speculating how rubbish and out of tune and so forth this event could be. 

You are right, nobody should judge until they've actually seen what comes out of it, so I take back some of my comments and will await what comes along. But from now hearing that it has received some potential bad responses already is a little worrying. Also with regards to the comment that it appeals to younger visitors, the costumed characters they are talking about in the Ents advert, is this likely to be something to do with fortnite too, rather than the rangers as previously speculated and people hoped for? I don't know enough about it, but is it a possibility? Maybe a meet and greet etc?

As a something extra to do for a half term or a weekend it'd be fair enough, a little extra diversion can only be a good thing. Zero interest to me, but whatever.

There's a problem though when nothing else has been promoted at all, nothing new, no events, nothing. They then link whatever this is to the 'season' in their first post, and make it cryptic as if it's some secret big announcement that can be misinterpreted as something worth while. 

Now all it's done is reinforce that there's nothing to return to Thorpe for this year unless you are interested in this relatively niche and childish thing, which is at odds with the thrill orientated offering at the park. Still a rudderless ship, isn't it?

6 hours ago, Benin said:

I look forward to the awkward video of all the Thorpe staff doing the naff dances from Fortnite (at least the ones they won't be sued for)...

It seems the Wes Phillips guy that HYPD were contacting regarding the Fortnite competition at TP is an associate director of Epic Games (creators/ distributors of Fortnite) so it seems to have the developers' company's stamp of approval hence I don't think any suing shall be taking place (sorry to ruin the joke).

image.png.f26ce1a7d82ba3d63f900cec23fae6a3.png

21 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

Looking forward to JackSilkstone's Closed Season Update video with a thumbnail that says "NEW HYPERCOASTER CONFIRMED?!?!?!?" or similar 😍

It's gonna be sick.

15 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

It seems the Wes Phillips guy that HYPD were contacting regarding the Fortnite competition at TP is an associate director of Epic Games (creators/ distributors of Fortnite) so it seems to have the developers' company's stamp of approval hence I don't think any suing shall be taking place (sorry to ruin the joke).

But Epic Games ARE being sued for some of the dances appearing in their games no?

Looks like this Fortnite based gaming event will be one of the events Thorpe are hosting this year. Could be a bit of fun and gives guests something different to do. I can imagine it will bring in a fair few people too. Looking forward to see what else they have planned!