X

Garyy

Few things regarding X:

It seems more smoke is present in the pyramid towards the end of the day, probably because it accumulates throughout the day.

One staff member in the baggage area is not enough as they can't cope. Because of this many trains were being sent half empty. Two members are needed here, that way a 20 minute queue could have easily been under 15 minutes.

They were only running 3 trains today which meant the trains didn't stop on the 3rd brake run. A train was always being loaded so I don't think it hindered throughput very much.

On one of my rides today the train stopped at every brake run even though the track ahead was clear. Went on straight after but it rolled straight through them so must have been a small glitch on the first ride.

What they could do is this:

As there are 5 cars per train, the front two cars will face forwards and the back two will face backwards. As for the middle car, front row will face forwards, back row will face backwards. Pretty simple you might say, but this idea is more or less based on the Towering Coaster train design ;)

I think some people are misinterpreting the new theme. X, is no longer a coaster where you are meant to feel disorientated/ not knowing where you are going. The ride now is suited for young children, which straight away says 'this is a straight forward ride'. Could you imagine a 6 year old being disoriented?

The whole point of it is 'Ride On A Wave Of Light And Sound' - there is a lot of light and a lot of sound.

So, to sum it up, X is a ride where you are riding on waves of light and sound, so disorientation is not the key factor anymore. But instead the key factor is to produce a phenomenal light show with loud pumping music. It is to my understanding the light show is approximately 15-20 minutes long with a long 70 something minute track.

If anyone is interested the light show has been updated recently and the lasers are now multicoloured :)

As a former 6 year old myself - yes, I can imagine such a person being disorientated for fun.

Ultimately it comes down to whether people enjoy the experience or not, regardless of what the ride is now 'supposed to be'. I don't think anybody will truly work out what the original ride was supposed to be anyway!

If they have managed to make a majority of people long for the original X No Way Out then that's a pretty big failure! But I myself think they chose a sensible option that will keep the ride going for a bit longer, until its necessary demolition

So, to sum it up, X is a ride where you are riding on waves of light and sound, so disorientation is not the key factor anymore. But instead the key factor is to produce a phenomenal light show with loud pumping music. It is to my understanding the light show is approximately 15-20 minutes long with a long 70 something minute track.

Agreed. A really quirky, unusual and intelligent idea by Thorpe to revive a ride from before Merlin's time which was built badly to begin with, which people are far too quick to shoot down. Okay, it's not magical, but it's entertaining. Unfortunately the ride time IMO is too short and deserves a re-ride for decent scope but still fun.

The music track is 90 minutes long.

I think they need more light and fog

Less light, more fog.

It is a DARK ride, after all - it's a shame with the light structure in the middle of the ride that it has a cycle to fit in the music which is generally good, however some points are far too light and sometimes it is light for the majority of the time that you are in the pyramid.

One thing I really like is how the laser on the final brake run sometimes goes around you - it's a nice effect.

The whole point of it is 'Ride On A Wave Of Light And Sound' - there is a lot of light and a lot of sound.

So, to sum it up, X is a ride where you are riding on waves of light and sound, so disorientation is not the key factor anymore. But instead the key factor is to produce a phenomenal light show with loud pumping music.

I do agree with you here, but, to me, there isn't a lot of light, and there isn't a lot of sound.

I liked the music, but it wasn't loud enough, and it didn't feel immersive enough. The lights were okay, but they didn't blow me away, and it felt a bit repetitive after a while; the whole 'show' it was putting on was a bit boring.

I appreciate it's a family coaster, and certainly seems geared for younger children as a 'build up' ride, but I don't think it's been made clear enough. As it stands, X should be made out to be a junior coaster, as that's what it is, but instead it feels more like it's being made out to be a family coaster, suitable for kids, but appealing to the adults, which it just fails at in my eyes. Maybe if the park do further the whole 'family park with thrill rides' image, X will have a clearer target (to be the kids coaster).

As I've only ridden it once, and there's been improvements since then, maybe me views will change once I ride again, but as it stands, I can't help but feel the park tried to accommodate for everyone with the ride, but missed the mark.

My first forward X experience yesterday and overall I really like the idea, not so sure about some of the execution, but it is a positive change.

It is generally cleaner, fresher and smarter, which is great obviously. The queue line has some neat lighting and is nicely dark, pretty much as it should be. Also very much pleased to see queueing in the building (see H+S lovers, it can be done!). The baggage point is chaos and slow, hard to know if it is actually effecting throughput as you can not see the riders but I wouldn't be at all surprised.

I like the music but it really isn't loud enough, it should be thumping through the place. It is OK in much of the queue (some of it isn't so good - sounds like nightclub toilets, like the party is going on on another room), but on the ride it should be double the volume it is, the sort of volume you can feel as much as hear.

The lack of brake run shunting pleases me greatly, a vast improvement giving a ride that although quite gentle whips along nicely. I still prefer the backwards feeling though, thought it suited the ride better and made up for the slightly dull layout. Forwards wouldn't be so bad if...

..the lighting was better. This is the big disappointment for me, and needlessly so. The place is sooo light, not a flashing in your face look at the lights kind of light, but just generally light, illuminated. You can clearly look around the place, see the floor, the ceiling and the sprawling track. Sitting at the front no change of direction was a surprise, it is like riding an outdoor coaster at dusk. There were a few moments when the ambient lighting dropped to almost nothing leaving a few pulsating lights and lasers which looked pretty damn good, but then the general light level rose again and it all seemed a bit pointless.

When it comes to the lighting less is more, just one or two effects at a time would look a whole lot better than throwing it all on at once and losing any effect it could have to the general glow. The central bright lights need to pulse so even if the whole place does light up it is brief. Smoke also helps, and there was some, but I'm guessing filling a space that size properly is not really an option. It could do with some more either way.

Finally, strobes. Strobes are the lighting friend of ride movement and would suit this so well. Where are they? Bring on the strobes!

Good effort, but could be a hell of a lot better with a little thought and nearly no cost.

^ I agree 100% with your comments about the lights - it's far too light in there.

Strobes would be brilliant.

As for the music, turn it up!

I haven't been on the new X so I can't comment on the loudness but maybe it is at the max it can go for sound insulation reasons? After all, X is pretty much just a tin pyramid, if you play loud booming music inside it would likely be heard outside especially by Colossus.

I haven't been on the new X so I can't comment on the loudness but maybe it is at the max it can go for sound insulation reasons? After all, X is pretty much just a tin pyramid, if you play loud booming music inside it would likely be heard outside especially by Colossus.

Part of the idea of having loud music is that it can be heard outside the building :lol:

Joking aside, this could be the reason although I doubt it because they don't seem to hesitate in killing the theme park atmosphere in other areas of the park by booming out chart music/the noise.