Slammer

Artie

They can't keep on trying to fix this can they, I bet hundreds of thousands of pounds or maybe even more have been spent to keep this ride open for it to kill it self mid season twice! Its a great ride but I don't think there is much point keeping it much longer it would cost them as a park too much I guess.

It's like getting my old car through its MOT. Each fault that needs repairing is not enough individually to warrant scrapping it, but when you add up all those repairs over time you realise you could have bought a new car with what you've spent. Each small outlay makes the next one seem more of a good idea to stop the previous spends having been a waste.It is quite a predicament. I'm waiting for my car to have one single problem that costs £1000 to repair and I'll scrap it, but each time it develops a little £100 fault it seems right to fix it. I imagine that is exactly what is happening with Slammer, just with bigger numbers!

• 2 weeks later...

It's opened with the park for the past couple of seasons, so I think it could be a safe assumption to say that it'll be open. They'll probably want it to be working for AP Day as well (if it happens), which would be the Sunday before then probably.

It's been down since July, so if it takes them more than 8 months to have decided to keep it, get the relevant parts, and then actually fix and test it, you do have to question if it really is worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Same capacity as Stealth? I'm a bit suspicious of that if I'm honest!

Stealth dispatches every 1-2mins with a car of 20pph and has a throughput of 1000pph. The mondial turbine does have the same capacity but the throughput is much lower as it takes longer to load/unload and the cycles would have to be longer as I'm sure a 20 second ride on a turbine would not be very enjoyable at thorpe and would be way too short after a very long queue. Considering samurai only takes 500pph(if that) with 30 seats I am almost certain the turbine would not make over that. This would result in a terrible throughput like vortex which now probably only does about 300pph because of the time it takes to start up and stop etc. I can remember at sunscream when vortex had a 90 minute queue for 1 top swing and it was just awful. And the queue length was literally the same length as the samurai queue which was only 30 minutes. If I'm perfectly honest I would much see slammer stay as the ride is so unique and the throughput is much higher. I just love slammer and love to freefall on it, the ride experience is so amazing, I just can't bear to see it go :P #emotionally attached ;)

Slammer doesn't have a particularly high throughput remember. Sure, it can take 48 people per ride, but it's theoretical throughput is 500pph. Essentially, that means the ride goes from being loaded to being unloaded just under every 6 minutes. I'd bet it usually takes longer than that, and probably that the ride barely musters 400pph.

Yet, a ride with such a low throughput has so little queue when it's open (I've never seen the queue above an hour, even on ridiculously busy days). I just don't see why the park should keep a ride which has terrible reliability, poor throughput and seems to not even be popular with guests...

• 2 months later...

Slammer was being tested Yesterday, because a member of staff has posted a picture of it being tested on instagram. I have no idea what rides were open today but I have only seen pictures of coasters, so maybe only coasters were open today? Even if it was just coasters open today, they would still have signage up ready for the weekend so I doubt it will be open for the weekend.

All rides were open today apart from zodiac samurai slammer flying carpet and nemesis

Zodiac, meh. Samurai I've seen is having work. Slammer no surprise. Quantum nobody cares but Inferno?! Really? I have to admit I'm surprised. I've never (and maybe I'm lucky) been to Thorpe on a day when Inferno was off for an entire day. To my memory it only ever broke once when I worked on it, and that was for an hour at most... :o