Hyperia - New for 2024

Mysterio Ka

I like it, it's cool. Is it the best name ever? No. Would I have preferred Icarus? Sure. But it sounds cool, rolls off the tongue and is punchy enough. Sure it sounds similar to Hyperion (which was named after a moon of Saturn), but heyho, 90% of people won't know or care. And loads of names are met with resistance at first...in a year, most people don't mind. A couple of years, and no one cares.

The style is fab. The music is fab. The 'find your fearless' seems to be a spin on phrases like 'find your happy', which I'm fine with. Marketing a 236ft tall, inverting coaster with lap bars with an upbeat theme to the UK market is no easy task. This seems like the best way forward.

In short, happy with this. And VERY excited.

8 hours ago, Jack29 said:

I'm amazed that people are paid good money to come up with this 😂. Hmm what is it? A hyper coaster. What already exists in Europe? Hyperion. We better not use the same name so let's just change a letter or two. 

And if they had used the same name you'd be just as critical. 

Name is fine, fits in well at Thorpe. Can't wait x

6 hours ago, Mark9 said:

And if they had used the same name you'd be just as critical. 

Name is fine, fits in well at Thorpe. Can't wait x

No. I would have been more critical if that was the case.

There's nothing wrong in hoping for originality. Icarus would have been a much better choice. 

In a post IP era it would have been great to see the creative team come up with something more imaginative. 

However I do think that the gold track looks great & I'm looking forward to riding next season. 

Being serious for a moment though. I sense most of the negativity towards the name is because of it being similar sounding to Hyperion at Energylandia

Lets be real though, what percentage of the people walking through the gate at Thorpe on any given day actually have heard of even Energylandia let alone Hyperion??

I completely agree.

Also the “find your fearless” tagline - yes it’s a bit odd, but at the end of the day it’s just a tagline on a ride in a theme park, it’s not that deep, and in any case it’s not going to ever cross the mind of 99.9% of riders, the same as “Colossus - it never leaves you” or “Galactica - Journey Beyond”.

I’ve been very critical of Thorpe over the last few years (because it’s been crap tbh), and it’s very easy to look at anything they do now with scepticism - but I think everyone agrees this ride is something special.

17 hours ago, Martin Doyle said:

Being serious for a moment though. I sense most of the negativity towards the name is because of it being similar sounding to Hyperion at Energylandia

Lets be real though, what percentage of the people walking through the gate at Thorpe on any given day actually have heard of even Energylandia let alone Hyperion??

Colossus would have been absolutely slated if it was being built now. 

My issue isn't so much it sounding similar to Hyperion (although I still do think it's a fairly valid point, but nowhere near as big of an issue as people are making it out to be), but that it is just a bit... corny? It's a hypercoaster and just feels like a cheap attempt to cram 'hyper' into the name - yes, members of the GP probably won't know what a 'hypercoaster' is, and yes, I know that 'Hyperia' is a Greek goddess so is fairly clever having those play together - but something about it just makes me cringe a little.

All in all though, the bottom line is that Thorpe are getting a new rollercoaster next year, and it's going to be one that rivals big boys from overseas. The name and 'interesting' colourscheme mean nothing whilst you're riding it - I can't wait for next season.

Crazy how 2024 is such an insane year for rollercoasters in this country - 30 years on from the notorious year of the rollercoaster, 1994! Let's just hope it doesn't take another 30 years for the next batch of big investment across the country 😂

On 8/30/2023 at 10:55 AM, Parm Pap said:

Energylandia is simila (r) (on)

Oh one name, you've gotta see there, can we or can we have to change it backup

They build like they don't care, building in the higher air

parm pap is wrong? parm pap is none. look closer but matthews, writing pom here. here the mirror is easy to clue.

hyperia, you've gotta see her, go up, down around and then splashed. neel neel neel the the guitar, oh oh oh the the guitar arrr. it climbs like it don't care, up above the new lake air. splash IN the lake. nothing to be done.

station oh look, where is the brook? in the labyrinth of flix are new clues. but no pix.

Just come back from my walk by thorpe park, here's an update from the site. Contsruction walls avoided me from getting good photos, but here's the best I could get. Station's going up I believe though need to look over the plans to check. Main tower seems to be going up which was ace to see, but might pop into thorpe park next time for better photos.

20231016_153723.jpg

20231016_153719.jpg

20231016_153428.jpg

20231016_152803.jpg