Artie

Slammer

On 10/29/2016 at 4:25 PM, Josh3103 said:

Slammer has been closed for the last 2 days 

...and according to TPM facebook has now had its signage removed, as it has in previous yours when it hasn't quite made the season.

I went to Thorpe last Monday and one of the things I was going to say if I ever got round to writing a trip report was how wonderfully Slammer was running. A couple of years back it felt like it was limping through its rotations, but now it was really whipping through. The whole structure felt solid, it accelerated to an impressive speed really quickly, and I saw no issues with it all day. It was running full of people and even loading and unloading pretty swiftly. 

Of course, when the signage comes down the immediate rumor is that's it, it's gone for good. In previous years, although I'd have been sad to see it go as I really do enjoy it and love having something so unique here, I thought that might be for the best as it had been struggling so much. Would be a real shame if now they had it running so well for so long it  finally dies for good.

2 hours ago, Marc said:

I doubt we need to worry about it going ! There are engineers there at the moment and it's slightly raised so it's being worked on :)

I actually took a run round this afternoon to do other rides (well it is the end of the season), and sadly Slammer was shut with nobody in attendance.

21 minutes ago, Marc said:

Got this shot of it this afternoon it's very slightly raised and was making plenty of air sounds!

I did pass a group of three engineers walking from it's direction mid afternoon, that might have been the team responsible.

If I have a quiet night at work tonight, I will try the park again tomorrow.

By the end of the day all the Restraints had been taken off Slammer - looks like they took

the time to start closed season work a couple days earlier with it being shut.

20 minutes ago, Joe1 said:

Slammer looks to been taken of the rides page on Thorpes website 

Omg it has nooo slammer, its a quality ride, was it open on preview day?

2 minutes ago, Josh3103 said:

I hope it hasn't closed permanently, its a great ride and its the last of its kind

But there is a reason there is literally only one left on this planet. 

Slammer is a free fall adreline rush and is a beauty as It is the last one alive. But It isnt on the ride

list on their website :/ but it is still located in old town on the new map? This is lead to me being so

confused could this be the end of the sky swats including the only one slammer.

Probably means it's had issues in testing and will require a new part which takes weeks as it has to be specially made. I would guess its taken off for now and will reappear when the ride is ready.

They aren't planning to remove it.

^^ 

They've probably done it for the same reason they take the signs down when it's closed for a long period of time. 

It had one of its best seasons last year, and maintenance has been carried out on it this winter, I can't see it going anywhere

It didn't open on preview days but can you blame them, opening it is hassle! 

It's on the map so it's intended to run this season. Slammer just keeps us on our toes. 

And timber tug boat ride isn't on the website yet so you know, maybe they're merging the two rides into one awesome experience! 

Wouldn't surprise me if we saw this as a summer opening. I mean it's not like it draws huge crowds so there's no real rush to get it open. Shame really it's a fantastic flat ride. I would hope Thorpe wouldn't close it without letting fans know, I mean it is the last sky swot in the world. 

Don't worry about Slammer lads, the new mini drop tower coming soon to Old Town will fulfil your freefall needs.

In seriousness - would doubt they are about to scrap the thing due to A. being on the freshly printed park maps and B. the amount of money they have spent on it already - meaning it had a very successful 2016. It was probably available for longer over the season than DBGT ;)

10 hours ago, Mitchada04 said:

And timber tug boat ride isn't on the website yet so you know, maybe they're merging the two rides into one awesome experience! 

Do you really believe that? How could they do something like that?

Also, why is Frog Hopper not listed on the map?

34 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Lots of superglue.

Or some sort of shipping container walk through from the Slammer exit to the Tug Boat.

1 hour ago, MattyMoo said:

Or some sort of shipping container walk through from the Slammer exit to the Tug Boat.

I can't remember where I heard it from, but apparently they are replacing the rows of seats on Slammer with a Rock n Tug on one side and a Frog Hopper on the other for two unique new ride experiences.

One side is going to be called SlamTwister - a 'sliding rotating rotating freefall experience'.

The other is going to be called Slammer2 - a 'raising raising rotating freefall freefall experience'.

2017 is looking to be an awesome year!

Also, they would have announced its closure if it was going for good. A theme park wouldn't just close one of its most iconic rides without any warning. Actually, a theme park shouldn't close ANY ride without warning (Looking at you, Alton Towers and Ripsaw).

I agree with what others have said. If it was permanently closing, they wouldn't have put it on the map.

It's just a bunch of maintenance. It will be back open later. Nobody can expect a ride, that breaks every second, to be working completely fine in the first week of the season.

Edited by Pinecone33
mentioning that a theme park should not close an attraction without a warning