SAW: The Ride

Mark9

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to point out that most of the effects on saw the ride haven't been working recently along with the effects on swarm and nemesis inferno. When I rode saw, the axes were not working and the dead body on the floor was not squirting water when you do the barrel roll. Also the blades were stationary instead of rotating.

On nemesis inferno, the mist and the lights in the tunnel both weren't working along with the water spray on the swarm.

Does anyone know why thorpe's effects are barely working at the moment?

I would just like to point out that most of the effects on saw the ride haven't been working recently along with the effects on swarm and nemesis inferno. When I rode saw, the axes were not working and the dead body on the floor was not squirting water when you do the barrel roll. Also the blades were stationary instead of rotating.

On nemesis inferno, the mist and the lights in the tunnel both weren't working along with the water spray on the swarm.

Does anyone know why thorpe's effects are barely working at the moment?

Most likely because Thorpe don't care, actually scratch that, Merlin don't care. Merlin have never really been good at keeping every little part of the park up to scratch, they prefer to let the older stuff rot while the newer attractions are making them stacks of cash.

Most likely because Thorpe don't care, actually scratch that, Merlin don't care. Merlin have never really been good at keeping every little part of the park up to scratch, they prefer to let the older stuff rot while the newer attractions are making them stacks of cash.

Its such a shame, because with the effects on it can make the rides SO much better. I just hope they get them fixed soon because the rides are ruined without then.

"Merlin" is a huge multinational company based in Poole, I doubt they have much responsibility to maintain a few motors and misters at Thorpe Park. All Merlin can do is give Thorpe Park enough money to fix it themselves. Of course if there was a department dedicated to park upkeep it would help, or just a better attitude towards maintenance in general.

I've never heard of the blades on Saw's outdoor drop stopping before, though. In fact Saw's effects have been some of the most reliable since they are so simple.

I think the reason Saws effects have been so reliable is because its in their IP contract, where Lions gate are basically forcing them to upkeep something like 95% of effects at all times.

Saw has often had issues with its effects but they're usually fixed within a matter of days/weeks

That Lionsgate contract thing about the effects must be a myth... surely? It makes no sense to 'force' a park to maintain the small number of effects on a ride, especially since Lionsgate had no involvement in their design.

I mean... If Lionsgate wanted to ensure the ride's longevity as an immersive Saw experience, then why did they agree to open the ride at a British theme park in the first place? As it is - it's just a few axes and blades, there's no point having a clause in a contract about them.

Seems strange to me.

I'm just going by what I remember reading on this very forum.

It all seems logical to me, its the only ride on park that has ran almost 5 consecutive years and still runs like it did on opening day.

I find it hard to believe things like the queueline shotgun effect, the dead body water spray or the rotating wheel on the outside drop would have even been looked at if it ever broke down without some sort of outside intervention for Merlin. In regards to Lionsgate, its a tricky business. Some companies take IP protection incredibly serious (just look at the Olympics, do a quick search!). Anything that could be brand damaging is a major concern for them.

I'm pretty sure people would notice if any of those effects stopped working. They are extremely simple effects and very easy to fix, plus they are only 4 years old and ought to last this long anyway.

I also heard a lot about the contract deal, but so many stories like that have turned out to be false marketing/promotion in the past, so I am suspicious. It sounds false anyway: it's not like Lionsgate are going to take legal action against Thorpe Park just because a very fake swinging axe is broken or some spinning blades are turned off.

Went on Saw today. As far asim aware, some of the effects appeared missing which I believe we're the blades as it just seemed dark instead of those objects being included which was quite disappointing.

On another note, the ride seemed reasonably smooth (when I rode it at least).

Still rough and a headbanger as ever, I actually preferred (along with Phill) that the axes weren't swinging, as it gave a nice effect with the strobes on the spikes for the drop. Also for me the water was actually spraying for the body so I guess we had different experiences James :P

Still rough and a headbanger as ever, I actually preferred (along with Phill) that the axes weren't swinging, as it gave a nice effect with the strobes on the spikes for the drop. Also for me the water was actually spraying for the body so I guess we had different experiences James :P

Today had two rides in same seat, front left. The first time it was quite rough, jolted at the bottom of drop and hurt my head. This is for me is the first ever time I've experienced the jolt. On my second ride I did not feel the jolt at all and wasn't too rough. Bizarre.

Like Blackpool maintain Valhalla's?

You seem to be forgetting that Blackpool Pleasure Beach is a family owned business that doesn't have the vast amount of money that a merlin owned company has.

Actually, since the refurb (this year especially) all effects have been working most of the time - the fire arch and on the water worked 12 out of 12 rides I had on it at Easter.

Anyway, comparing a simple swinging axe and light (which wouldn't take much to fix) to the multitude of complicated spectacular effects used on Valhalla is silly.