The Smiler

th13teen

There were several helicopters and aeroplanes flying over Alton Towers today, when I was there for the Carribean sleepover last night. So presumably TT have their pilots up today, no doubt photographing the latest.

I was up there this morning with TS, but we don't have the facilities to fly over the site. That said, there is quite a lot of new track around the mini bus car park area - I will try and sort out some photo's.

The track just seems to be everywhere...!

:)

It has probably gone vertical now, there's just no one there to see it. TTF have been due to send up their eye in the sky for the last few days but have been scuppered by heavy fog. A big part of me doesn't want to see, I want to turn up on the day and see it for myself as a big surprise. But I fear a bigger part of me will be clicking away once pics are up as I can't fight the curiosity.

In other kind of SW7 related news it seems Enterprise is getting either replaced or well tarted up for next season. A site that apparently don't want any sort of promotion have posted some images that you really shouldn't look at, they wouldn't like it.

So that leads to some questions. How much of X-sector is getting attention? Is this really for enterprise? Will submission be worked on too, or maybe this could be an opportunity to put it out of it's misery? Most of all, will Oblivion get the work it desperately need to stop the station looking like it's made out of cardboard and the track like it is knackered compared to the shiny new Gerst next door? Exciting stuff.

So that leads to some questions. How much of X-sector is getting attention? Is this really for enterprise? Will submission be worked on too, or maybe this could be an opportunity to put it out of it's misery? Most of all, will Oblivion get the work it desperately need to stop the station looking like it's made out of cardboard and the track like it is knackered compared to the shiny new Gerst next door? Exciting stuff.

There was talk of Oblivion getting a much needed spruce up. Indeed, I do believe Alton replaced/painted the restraints last season.

There was talk of Oblivion getting a much needed spruce up. Indeed, I do believe Alton replaced/painted the restraints last season.

Some of them did, less than half though I think. If anything it made the knackered looking ones look worse having a shiny new one following it round. It is the station I really hope gets the attention, it looks shocking at the moment and the track will look really bad so close to new stuff it it doesn't get painted.

It is more than the central hub being replaced. It is also the spokes and general ride structure. The mechanics of the ride are getting an extensive overhaul this closed season as well, more so than it would have done normally.

For all intents and purposes the ride will be 'As new' next year.

Let's hope they do the same for the rest of the area...

For those who want to look, new areal shots have gone up on TT this eve. They are a bit underwhelming though as quite unbelievably it still hasn't gone vertical. For comparison this is from the Saw construction archive here..

09/10/2008

The Project Dylan track has now been completed. In our latest update you can see the rides exciting layout which features many tight twists and turns.

Now work will focus on the rides electrical systems, as well as the station building, which a lot of the frame work has already been constructed. Many thanks to THORPE PARK for the update.

So SW7 is at least 2 months behind Saw at the same point, and we all know how ready for opening Saw was on day one. Oh dear.

Different rides, different construction... Gerstlauer's are reknown for essentially being LEGO when the track is put together, Takibashi was built in something silly like two weeks total...

Besides, Saw died due to operation issues, rather than anything related to construction... On the other hand though, Thirteen ended up being rushed at the end of the day, so who knows...

Either way, it's too difficult for anyone outside the construction to state how far behind (if at all) schedule they are, and with a comparison to Saw, it's harsh, as Saw didn't end up being flooded for a good week...

I believe Thorpe opens two days before hand actually.. :P

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it. Sure, it's probably a bit behind schedule, but there you go. Rides will have work done right up until the last moment, regardless of the schedule they're on. If Alton have put a time on for the ride to open, and they care about their guests' satisfaction, they'd move the Earth to get this thing fully complete on March 16th.

As I say, it's something to not worry about.

Posted Image

Although I for one don't think it will open in time, on the hugely limited basis of me knowing nothing other than at the moment (two months after our nearest comparison Saw was finished track wise) there is a big hole in the ground, a massive meccano set on the floor, it has been raining and windy to the extreme and we are predicted a harsh winter. PANIC!

Maybe some enthusiasts should go to the Winchester, have a nice pint, and wait for all this to blow over (and be constructed and done by people who KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING)

I'm gonna keep this in my signature until SW7's open day. That way we can either congratulate you for your confidence or mock you for your optimism ;)

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but it is 'supposed' to be opening the same day as Thorpe Park (that is if the builders finish it in time). I think I know which park ill be going to if they open on the same day.

Finished or not finished, the ride will be certainly up so you either have the choice of a new UK world's first multi-looper rollercoaster or shipping containers hotels so I know which one I’ll be going too ;)

(Or just don't bother with both and go to Chessington, that's if they get the animals delivered in time :ph34r: [sarcasm])

Finished or not finished, the ride will be certainly up so you either have the choice of a new UK world's first multi-looper rollercoaster or shipping containers hotels so I know which one I’ll be going too ;)

Just like last season you had the choice between the UK's first winged rollercoaster or a shipping container drop tower ;)