Fright Nights 2018 - General Discussion

TPC

6 minutes ago, jessica2 said:

Definitely a downgrade to replace a good indoor maze with another traipse through the mud. I hope they make some changes to sanctum as doing that in semi daylight last year was terrible (though the actors did try lol).

I liked the cottage section in platform 13 the most but the maze was a bit meh because of the boring never ending tunnel at the end lol.

And to think, that was only the first phase to Platform 15's reimagined, plan. 

I really hope Big Top returns this year - as much as the chainsaw dude at the end creeps me out it is probably my favourite maze - that music ?

I thought Sanctum was naff last year but it was a good laugh - if that returns (which I’m assuming it will due to TWD thing) then I hope it improves a la Big Top and Platform.  Pray for Big Top and not Blair Witch but this is Thorpe so nothing would surprise me

Big Top going (if indeed it is going) really is Thorpe shooting themself in the foot. It has easily been the best maze over the last two years of fright nights (that’s not saying a lot really given I find the other mazes ok at best) aswell as being the only maze in the events history that I would put up there with The Freezer/Asylum. A massive shame if it’s going and vindication to me in my decision to skip the event this year.

25 minutes ago, Jack said:

Is nobody considering the possibility of Big top AND Blair witch coming to fright nights? 

I would take big top and blair witch over big top and sanctum

Still issue with blair witch apart from the issues with the maze is the logistical issues

mainly if treasure island railway creepy edition and blair witch are both put in they would be sharing the same starting area.

so a rework of the stair of blair would be needed minimum

I was set on going to Fright Nights this year. BT, P15 and LN were all good to varying degrees last year, Saw OK and Sanctum awful. Normally once a year do mazes and rides in the dark which is all good fun. 

But

Saw has been open all summer, we had LN Extreme early on in the year and plenty of chances to ride coasters in the dark this year. So there's no real motivation to go for any of that as have done that already, and in the case of LN, will be a downgrade on what we had earlier on in the year. 

Still, Fright Nights would give me a chance to do Big Top (the highlight of the year at Thorpe IMO) and Platform 15 (second best last year, but far below Big Top) , so still it was worth it. But if it is true, replacing Big Top with (barely better than Sanctum) Blair Witch, then that means the only motivation to go to the overpriced, overcrowded Fright Nights is Platform 15. Not exactly much in the way of persuasion. 

I hope Blair Witch is replacing Sanctum, as at least that would be a small improvement, instead of a huge huge loss. 

If Big Top isn't there, I can say for definite that I won't be going.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the speculated lineup for this year could be;

Walking Dead Living Nightmare

Saw Alive

Platform 15

Blair Witch

Sanctum

IF (and only if, remembering nothing is confirmed at this point) this is the final lineup, then sadly it's looking like this year could be the most bland and uninspiring year of Fright Nights in the event's history.  Only two indoor mazes (again assuming there isn't a new one), one of which never changes and the other was weak last year apart from the theming IMO.  A massive cutback on previous offerings and all to satisfy Thorpe's IP-hungry marketing.

Another thing to consider is that it can't have been cheap for the IMAScore Big Top music - so potentially more short-sightedness from them.

Nah.  I'm out.

I always look forward to Fright Nights every year and love the event however this year with all the rumours and by the looks of the direction the event is heading in I feel no hype what so ever. If The Big Top does not return (please god no) then Thorpe have a really made a bad mistake. In my honest opinion who's smart idea was it to remove a fantastic themed indoor maze which was one of the best last year and replace it with a old returning outdoor walk through when there is already one of those (Platform 15) plus Sanctum. It just makes no sense, it's not even a new attraction it's a 'returning' attraction and probably the weakest out of all the Lionsgate mazes in my opinion. If Big Top is going I would much prefer to see a NEW maze in it's place. The way the current rumours stand it seems only 2 mazes could be indoors this year with the remainder outside which is pretty crappy. Obviously all is rumours until Thorpe announce anything but the way it is currently looking all I can say is Thorpe really need to pull there finger out as this is looking like the end of Fright Nights, it feels the passion has gone and they just don't care anymore, just all about making that money. I'm already tired of all this Walking Dead stuff and it's not even October! Just waiting for all this to hopefully blow over, at the moment I'm 50/50 about attending the event at all. Fingers crossed the rumours could be wrong (unlikely I know).

tbf I'd be very surprised if they didn't bring in at least one 'new' maze. Fright Nights is too big an event for them to not bring in something new.

And with stuff like Blair Witch and Sanctum, they have at least got scope to change them and make them feel different enough. It's possible we could see Big Top or even Platform transformations to mazes.

And for people blasting Blair Witch, I remember is being one of the best received mazes of 2015 - so there's potential for something like that to be good, even if another outdoor maze is not what Thorpe needs right now.

There is nothing wrong with Blair Witch in itself, but I would have an issue with three outdoor scare attractions vs two full size horror mazes.  From an event which has produced five full-size horror mazes in the past, it's a massive scale-back.

I agree with what's being said, it feels like there's no effort being put into the event bar the marketing for it.  "It's got Walking Dead, people will come regardless" seems to be the attitude.

I think what WWTPRadio said a page back or two really sums up what to expect this year..

The team that did 2016/2017 are long gone, the team that spruced up Big Top and made it amazing, the team that the following year revamped Platform to be another strong attraction..

Sure that team had a few slips up, Platform in 2016 was terrible, Sanctum was probably a last minute job, but when they came up good, it was mazes that perhaps were some of the best in FN history.

I'm guessing Big Top has a slim chance of returning in the same strong form (if it returns at all) this year, I see Blair Witch being the main 'new' thing..

I'm concerned this will be the worst FN yet.. Hopefully Thorpe proves me wrong..

The doll looks like Billy (or my eyesight is awful)

Realistically how long does it take the park to set up The Big Top?  I’m trying to cling on to hope that it will be there this year but it’s looking doubtful.

As mentioned before, this year we’ve already had Living Nightmare Extreme open for half term and then at the beginning of summer when there was a delay on Saw Alive, Living Nightmare was open for a bit (which I did and it was awful - completely different beginning with no photo and a chunk of it sectioned off but in fairness it could have just been bad luck) So IF Blair Witch returns instead of Big Top there will be 3 outdoor mazes and both indoor ones have already been open this year so not a great deal of incentive to visit - yes Platform is good but Sanctum and BW need lots of work on them.  Saw I enjoy but it’s been there for years and does get very samey.

As good as P15 is its not a line up to get excited about - I usually look forward to Fright Nights but feeling a bit meh about it this year.  I will go - only because I have a MAP and this will be the first year my niece @that.girl.soph will be doing FN.

2 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

I think what WWTPRadio said a page back or two really sums up what to expect this year..

The team that did 2016/2017 are long gone, the team that spruced up Big Top and made it amazing, the team that the following year revamped Platform to be another strong attraction..

Sure that team had a few slips up, Platform in 2016 was terrible, Sanctum was probably a last minute job, but when they came up good, it was mazes that perhaps were some of the best in FN history.

I'm guessing Big Top has a slim chance of returning in the same strong form (if it returns at all) this year, I see Blair Witch being the main 'new' thing..

I'm concerned this will be the worst FN yet.. Hopefully Thorpe proves me wrong..

Thankfully the 16/17 team had no involvement in Walking Dead related mazes :).   Platform 15 was tosh in 16, but that just rings to money related issues

59 minutes ago, professorb said:

Yes they did....they dealt with both 2016 and 2017 fright nights.

Longer than you would think. Tent needs to be delivered and installed, all the internal wood construction needs to be built, AV installed, theming, electrics etc. Plus this years team would have never constructed big top before and would be doing it in addition to the other attractions with less than a month to do so. It is already three weeks late so hopes are not high....

Yeah I knew it wasn’t just a case of chucking a tent up but ?? In comparison to Blair Witch which has a few pop up tents and the shed and I’m guessing would be relatively easy to set up as there’s very little theming.  Urgh damn 

11 hours ago, professorb said:

Yes they did....they dealt with both 2016 and 2017 fright nights.

No.. they didn't haha. Both Sanctum and Nightmare were handled by external contractors and the team behind Big Top, Platform, 17's parkwide theming had no say in the mazes. Mainly because they were to busy doing Big Top and Platform.

Big Top takes around a month and half to build (including build prep). Excluding design 

5 minutes ago, professorb said:

I assumed you meant the team had gone by then. They still had involvement in the process, though of course less than big top for example.

They had no involvement with Nightmare of Sanctum, just the operating and repair after the sign off.

Please read: https://www.thorpepark.com/blog/the-fearmakers-behind-fright-nights

And https://www.thorpepark.com/blog/the-fearmakers-behind-fright-nights-part-ii

Ok... I am not usually the optimistic type... however today is turning out to be a great day! Is there not any chance guys that Thorpe just want to get LIL out of the way before they start construction? Last day is September 1st.. they crack on with setting up the next event after that w&nk is finally over and done with; opposed to trying to organise two events at the same time? Think of the resource costs!

Also, isn't there more closed dates this September compared to last year.. meaning they can work around the clock to turn this all around in time? 

Again, only a suggestion.. let the rampage commence :) 

2 hours ago, Rach666 said:

Ok... I am not usually the optimistic type... however today is turning out to be a great day! Is there not any chance guys that Thorpe just want to get LIL out of the way before they start construction? Last day is September 1st.. they crack on with setting up the next event after that w&nk is finally over and done with; opposed to trying to organise two events at the same time? Think of the resource costs!

Also, isn't there more closed dates this September compared to last year.. meaning they can work around the clock to turn this all around in time? 

Again, only a suggestion.. let the rampage commence :) 

This makes sense, I’m hoping it isn’t just your optimism though and it’s actually what the park are doing ?