Nemesis

Dan9

That the loss of a single rider queue is lamented more than staggered openings and loss of off-peak hours (with no drop in price, at least Thorpe have an off-peak price) shows how skewed enthusiasts can be with the big picture...

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and this forum gives them a chance to air it; the fact that there appears to be a bigger outcry about SRQ is that it is the SRQ users that are opining here.

Merlin are in the money making business, and when they started charging for car parks (what choice for people at AT?) they proved they are in the "money grabbing" business - and that is my opinion.

No-one is disagreeing that the cuts are down to Merlin's greed...

But stop blaming Towers for it (or at least, certain things)... I'd reckon the majority of staff are just as unhappy about it as the guests (apart from maybe losing Nemmie single rider, since it was never the easiest for them to operate)...

I completely understand why Towers is the one being name checked on complaints. They are the front line and it's the poor staff that have to deal with the abuse that I feel sorry for. Not only are they dealing with unhappy customers but they are also getting massive paycuts from all the closed rides and lost staffing positions. Guarantee the heads of Merlin aren't giving themselves the same cuts.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and this forum gives them a chance to air it; the fact that there appears to be a bigger outcry about SRQ is that it is the SRQ users that are opining here.

Merlin are in the money making business, and when they started charging for car parks (what choice for people at AT?) they proved they are in the "money grabbing" business - and that is my opinion.

But Merlin didn't start the car parking payment trend, DIC Tussauds did... Merlin just made the situation increase drastically by adding it to all the other parks (and this has had a knock-on effect to get Drayton in on the action)...

Unfortunately, whilst the Merlin blame game is a fun one to play, we can't blame them for EVERYTHING...

Something seemed off with nemesis today, pretty much snailed around the rest of the ride after the zero G roll and never seemed to gain it's usual speed in the first corkscrew and into the helix, wonder why...

for a split second thought we were gonna stall on the overbank into the last corkscrew (really seemed that slow)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Someone asked why the water was no longer red on Nemesis and this was the answer from Alton Towers:

Hi Steffles, environmental legislation now prevents us dying our water.

Looks like we won't be seeing it red ever again.  :(

Well that's a bending of the truth if ever I saw one!

The environmental legislation has not changed, but the park has repeatedly shown themselves to be incompetent and dump the dye into the surrounding area rather than process it as they are supposed to. So it's their inability to comply with the legislation in a way that the system is already designed to do that mens it is no longer red, not because of some nasty outside agency taking the fun away.

The environmental legislation has not changed, but the park has repeatedly shown themselves to be incompetent and dump the dye into the surrounding area rather than process it as they are supposed to. So it's their inability to comply with the legislation in a way that the system is already designed to do that mens it is no longer red, not because of some nasty outside agency taking the fun away.

They can always try evaporating the water. Scientifically speaking, when salt-water is evaporated, while the water condenses, the salt remains in a small pile. Would this have the same effect with the powder they use?

They can always try evaporating the water. Scientifically speaking, when salt-water is evaporated, while the water condenses, the salt remains in a small pile. Would this have the same effect with the powder they use?

It's not even that. As I understand ti the water can just be treated chemically and is then safe to release. But they have repeatedly dumped the water accidently, when it was not supposed to be emptied so had not been treated. Fools.

The energy to evaporate that much water would be incredible. They would treat it some other way. Just think how much energy a kettle uses to boil about 1 litre of water then think how much water they would have.

• 6 months later...

As part of the 'Towers Loving Care' scheme, the park have set up a Twitter account:  https://twitter.com/altontlc

The cover photo shows some repainted Nemesis track!  The current rumour is that Nemesis will be getting that elusive full track repaint over the closed season.

As I've said in the past, I'm not a huge fan of the park making a big deal out of this TLC scheme, since what they're suggesting is stuff which should be done as standard.  However, if a Nemesis repaint does indeed happen, then I'm glad that it's (hopefully) going to see some worthwhile changes to the park.

Pretty sure they repainted Oblivion at some point?

It was repainted over the 12/13 closed season, so I guess you could argue that it was to do with a new attraction, since it was reinvigorating X Sector, etc.  It'd be a silly argument to make though imo.  And at least people do remember Oblivion was repainted; most seem to ignore that fact...

I remember Oblivion's paint job strongly but I see it being done more so for the addition of the Smiler, otherwise it would've contrasted with the area and not in a good way.

Merlin have repainted some rides, but I consider coaster repainted to be of a larger scale, hence why I am very happy to see Nemesis receiving some needed love, especially being one of the park's biggest and best rides.

Some may have interpreted my firmer as some attempt of 'Merlin bashing'. But let me assure you, I want the park (and others) to do well and be at their best. Hence why seeing rides especially at our parks is satisfactory to witness.

Nemesis was starting to look very tired so it's great that they are spending the money to repaint it, and it looks fantastic going by the photos - although the white is probably an undercoat.  :D

It's great that they are finally starting to improve the aesthetics of the park, it's something that has needed doing for a long time IMO.