Colossus

Adam J

• 2 weeks later...

The other train is at the back of the workshop because it needs to leave space for the working train for night checks.

Regarding roughness, I never really felt it on Colossus (maybe a little) - however on my last visit my head was banging so much I got a horrendous headache- though to be fair this was possibly self inflicted due to riding it 5 times. I do agree though that Saw is smoother but then it is newer

The back seats are a little too rough for me, but nearer the front is a great ride, one of my favourites in the park.

I personally find Saw rougher but then again, I think it's just different kinda of roughness. The Colossus trains constantly vibrate which on the worst bits can cause head banging, but In my experience, the Saw cars just sort of jolt from time to time more randomly, jerking your head suddenly. Prefer Colossus- longer ride, more interesting IMO and that airtime hill is so perfect :)

There's some weird physics reason why the back is rougher, I can't remember the specifics but it's something to do with the negative g and the way the front of the train pulls the rear cars round the corners/axes, energy dispersion is also involved, all the vibrations and energy is transfered in the oppersite direction of travel (obviously) so all that is transferred to the rear cars, essentially if sitting in the back row, you're getting all the energy from the whole train terminated in your car.

It's much more noticeable on Inferno at the top of the hill lift, in the front row it's as smooth as glass but the rear seats you get quiet a whipping on the first drop.

My son didn't like the launch of Stealth for the same reason, we'd always previously sat at the back, but yesterday we went on the front and he said it was much smoother and better, a 'nicer launch' as he put it, he also wasn't thrown around so much at the bottom of the hill.

You feel the forces more on the back rows of coasters - for me, of the coasters at Thorpe, Inferno is a tad too intense back row.  Generally if you want good views and in some cases, a smoother ride then go for the front row.  If you wanna feel the G's more then head towards the back - Colossus back row is not my fave place to sit - I find coming out of the cobra roll particularly head bangy and disorientating. 

Stealth at the front is better for the launch, but the back is fun as you come down the other side.....until you hit the brakes where, for me doesnt matter where I sit, it flaming hurts my thighs!