Shutdowns

coastermitch

• 4 years later...

The worst breakdown I have been on was when I was on vortex and something failed and they couldn't stop swinging so we were sat on it waiting for ages for it to naturally stop moving. We were stuck for just under and hour.

I got stuck on loggers leap last year when the water levels were low and the ride kept stopping. I've been on slammer a few times when it has broken down and samurai when it wouldn't park and kept moving.

I still haven't been on a rollercoaster when it breaks down though.

I've had loads but the notable ones are:

Saw The Ride: It was the first or second weekend of Summer Nights, pouring with rain and we went on Saw. Go 1 was fine but for some reason we decided to go a second time and got stuck on the turning transfer track, in the rain, with no side rails to get off on to. So the mechanics pushed us backwards and we got off via a step ladder. Was good fun as we got the best part of Saw, a walk through the workshop and free hot chocolate :P

The Swarm: It was mid 2012, me and my friend were sat front row and we left the station, just. The front of the train had just started it's incline on the lift and it stopped. We couldn't hear any of the announcements and after 10 minutes we suddenly moved half way up the lift to then stop again. After absorbing the gorgeous view we finally made it to the top and had our ride. And people say The Swarm is a short ride ;)

Back in 2008 on a school trip we had a rollback on Flying Fish. It went around normally for 5 circuits then rolled backwards through the station. That was strange.

I've had many of the Stealth breakdowns where you get on, pull down your restraint then they rise and tell you to stand back behind the gates. Many of them.

Got stuck on Tidal Wave just at the top of the lift hill once. It was really funny because the staff took so long to come up and speak to us and they looked like bug on the way up :P Also once they made it they were so out of breath that they could barely tell us what was going on! XD We were only there for like 10 minutes though. I think it was something to do with water levels.

Three times, all at Thorpe Park.

1. Bottom of Loggers first lift hill. Had to get off after about 10 mins and walk down the railway to the level crossing.

2. Samurai - Stuck at the side (left if looking at the front). Soon we were manually moved into the zero position.

3. Vortex - Ride cut out whilst at around the half way point of swinging.We had to wait for it to naturally stop. About three people didn't cope with this very well.

The only ride that I can recall breaking down on at Thorpe Park is Detonator in Fright Nights last year... I had one go, and as there was barely a queue stupidly decided to go on again, only to lift about a foot off the ground and then come to a halt, and was probably stuck there for no more than 5 minutes until they got the engineers to manually release us so we moved at a snails pace back down - they offered us to go back at the front of the queue while they tested it, but there was no way I was taking the chance of that happening again, I was panicking getting clausterphobic (I used to be fine a few years ago but getting worse now, especially Colossus which is a shame as it's one of my favourite rides on front row)... This type of thing is going to be the end of my theme park obsession :S

At Alton Towers I recall being stuck on Oblivions lift hill for about 5-10 minutes when I was younger... And more recently stuck on Duel for a good 10 minutes with the guns still working aha, my worst breakdown being stuck on ripsaw tilting forwards for about 10 minutes until they manually got us back to the ground (think it's something to do with someone too large going on and their restraints lock but the system doesn't like it and then decides to emergency stop midway through the ride - happened to my dad the same day and they were stuck nearly upside down!) As ripsaws restraints aren't the comfiest definitely don't want to experience that again, and last year on their firework event had a rollback on the runaway train rolling backwards into the tunnel before going again about a minute later.

I've been stuck on quite a few rides before, but most of the time I'm really unlucky and am right at the front of the que when it brakes down! I've only been evaced from one ride which was Loggers at fright night last year. It wasn't on a lift hill though, it was at the bottom of the lift hill, but we got to walk down the old CCR track and got free fast tracks!

With Vortex, once for me it did like 2 small swings at the start, then stopped and the floor came back up about halfway, but then started going down again. Then it just started again and was fine! I think the operator might of emergency stopped it by accident maybe? This was in the 2012 season.

I was on Rocky Express for like 5 minutes because it wouldn't stop. Just going round and round, listening to the music. You guys wonder why it's my fave ride XD Due to queues that day I stayed on it the whole day, was fun chatting to the attendant.

Just for clarification I was with a friend.