Storm Surge

Marc

To be honest Storm Surge would be a fairly decent ride if:

- The water in the rafts was sorted - Valhalla hoover anyone?

- The FREE water guns in the queueline were fixed

- The spinners on the trough were fixed so the ride actually spins

- Make it look more themed and less ugly

- Cover up the frame at the top of the ride like it was at Cypress Gardens

Storm Surge was a good ride at Cypress Gardens (I know it seems hard to believe but it was). It fitted in well there and didn't ruin the view of the park. The slide wasn't rusting to pieces with holes all over the place and it had a very nice and simple wooden station and fencing around it. Whilst it had zero theming it looked much better than it does at Thorpe. I rode it many times on my two visits to Cypress Gardens over the years and it felt much better there, at Thorpe it feels cramped and an utter piece of rubbish.

Just to compare them:

florida_part_1_057_333.jpg

Storm_Surge5.jpg

And this image is being kind to Storm Surge at Thorpe.

Storm Surge just doesn't fit and the only thing I like about it is the fact that they repainted Thorpe Mega Store because of it.

That image is also being kind to Cypress Gardens. People like to compare Storm Surge at Thorpe to Storm Surge at Cypress by using that picture and forgetting that the angle hides most of the ugliest part of the ride - the support structure. I'd actually say Thorpe have done a better job themeing Storm Surge with the continuity of Amity Cove (though lets be honest, the ride is geographically in Lost City...) than Cypress Gardens ever did.

It's still hard to believe that Thorpe Park - one of the UK's top theme/amusement parks have not even bothered to cover the hideous frame at the top of the lift hill like it was at Cypress gardens!

And I agree with what is being said, something about how it looks at Cypress gardens looks much better than it does at Thorpe. (Other than the frame.)

Maybe it is the fact that (as far as I can see) you didn't walk through the ugly structure at cypress to get to other rides like you do at Thorpe - usually getting dripped on as you do so.

Just another point, the drainage around the Storm surge area is awful. I remember having to navigate a massive pool of water on a rainy day - caused by both the ride and the rain.

If Storm surge was in a remote area of the park then it would look okay, but right at the front it stands out far too much - for the wrong reasons.

I really think that Thorpe should improve it by making the changes I stated in my post a few above this one.

Plastic you can as everything has a melting point.

Metal it's hard to burn outright but give it time and it would get hot enough.

Is the correct answer...

What's Storm Surge made out of? We can actually find the melting point of that and hey presto, we got ourselves a BBQ going!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been on this ride when the dingy was full of water...... late last year I went on - the bird who was controlling it (standing outside) refused to empty the water and it was literally up to our shins but she said it was fine, I said its not, you need to empty it and I waited for the next one - yet they still let it go round full of water rather than just empty it (like I've seen them do several times whilst queuing...). What's the deal with that?!

Has anyone been on this ride when the dingy was full of water...... late last year I went on - the bird who was controlling it (standing outside) refused to empty the water and it was literally up to our shins but she said it was fine, I said its not, you need to empty it and I waited for the next one - yet they still let it go round full of water rather than just empty it (like I've seen them do several times whilst queuing...). What's the deal with that?!

It's ridiculous! Last year we "sat on the edge" because it was so full. It's not as if the boats leak, they were new when it was opened!

I'm baffled to how long Thorpe are going to keep Storm Surge. They insisted in the THORPE PARK Q&A sub-forum they would never run the Swarm backwards as it would 'alienate' :P the experience and deem the near misses pointless. But, hey, 2013 season, Swarm has now mutated and running backwards? They said they had no plans to remove it but maybe they'll change their minds, it's possible right?

If it is going to stay, I really hope they at least make it seem somewhat appealing or the best it can be by adding an actual station rather than some slabs of concrete and a small booth and actually add theming to the top of the hill rather than the ghastly bare metal, as well as stopping the leaks.