Park Operations

Daniel.S313

The park will extend closing time if they think the park is going to be significantly busier than expected, if ride reliability has been particularly poor or if there's been other issues. It's usually up to the duty manager of the park for the day to decide if closing is extended.

Today the weather was very nice and the park started off very busy (apparently there were extremely long queues to buy tickets?). So they probably decided to err on the side of caution, stay open later (to a time which until this year was actually standard for them really), and deal with guest complaints before they even happened. Good move really.

• 3 weeks later...

Tidal Wave closed with a 2 hour queue so I beleive it just finished operating at 8! Boat 2 was apparently not ready but really not good enough on a day like today. We just went on the bridge and saw a little kid knocked back by the water though. ?

It was really busy but a good atmosphere today with the weather. The place was just buzzing with the sun and lively like an american park. Kind of wish the park was like this more often just so it can secure more new developments / rides. Managed to get on quite a few rides with less than an hours queue all day, so on the whole (apart from Tidal Wave) pretty good operations.

I believe that, for whatever reason, Tidal Wave doesn't have its second boat ready until late May. This has been the case for a good few seasons.

I guess in the culture of budget cuts and stuff, it's not seen as a necessity to have 2 boats ready until that time and usually the weather doesn't warrant it. Obviously when we get weather like this that thought process is screwed.

It's a stupid, narrow minded decision.

22 minutes ago, Marc said:

Coasters stayed open till 6:30 today with how busy it was - pretty good atmosphere on park too, looking forward to the 10-10 in a couple weeks!

Good to hear that. Sadly I’m away on the 10-10 night, but I hope to be going back to Thorpe for my birthday a few weeks later. :)

But don't forget, you get an extra hour of fun on the Island today. 10 - 5, Because they like to make dreams come true (totally nothing to do with trying to come across like they are being generous, and in reality for a Friday should be 10 - 5 anyway).

Sounds like someone in marketing thinks it'll come across like a good idea ?. Make a big deal about it if they decided to extend it on the day, but making the decision days before... its just a change in opening times (like any parks do to follow demand)

On 5/11/2018 at 12:42 PM, Matt Creek said:

Tidal Wave is now (finally) on a two boat operation. The green and purple boats are now running. 

Not sure if/when we will see the third though?

Vortex and Quantum are still closed and the beach is probably still a while from opening.

Thank god they got that second boat ready in time for a rainy weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

The entrance situation at Thorpe has been farcical for a number of seasons now, so it's only right that they are being criticised for it.  Tacky temporary fences, horrendous queues due to short-staff, smokers and mouldy buildings (though this has been improved slightly this year) really isn't the best first impression for a park.

Amazes me that they haven't rectified this yet.

22 minutes ago, EmilyLovesVortex said:

hi.

I hope this is the right place to ask... but what's with I'm a celebrity?

only seems to open a few times a year.

now closed until july....?

I mean I thought about school holidays and stuff, but that can't be it- because wouldn't they shut other atractions to?

It’s because it’s got high running costs due to it being actor led attraction, unfortunately it’s a story familiar with almost every other Merlin actor attractions. Cheap to build and a headline grabber but very expensive long term and then cuts appear. 

The I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Maze will be open on the following dates:

Friday 23rd March –Sunday 15th April 2018

Friday 25th May – Sunday 3rd June 2018

Saturday 21st July – Monday 3rd September 2018

Is Rush only on one swing at the moment? Just saw in queue times that it has a 60 minute queue and thought that that’s quite high for it? 

Also, I presume as no one has posted anything, that there’s no news on Vortex. I’m going in about a month and hoping that it’s open by then! 

Finally, are all the coasters on two trains at the moment. I don’t want to go and find out that they are only running 1 on all of them! 

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Is Rush only on one swing at the moment? Just saw in queue times that it has a 60 minute queue and thought that that’s quite high for it? 

Also, I presume as no one has posted anything, that there’s no news on Vortex. I’m going in about a month and hoping that it’s open by then! 

Finally, are all the coasters on two trains at the moment. I don’t want to go and find out that they are only running 1 on all of them! 

Rush has been running 2 swings when I’ve been there this year - so unless there’s a random technical issue no reason why it shouldn’t!

Vortex is an odd one - usually very reliable but it has been closed quite a long time now.

Coasters do all run 2, still will go to 1 when it’s quiet though.