Galactica

lewumbrajumbos

I really do hope they scrap the VR - not only does it slow down dispatches but the VR itself is pretty bad quality - the only upside being that if you are wearing the VR you don’t see the manky tunnel.

Ive only ever done the VR twice because not only do I have a weird ass phobia of outter space but I feel like it takes away the whole ride experience - I really enjoyed Air but I do love the Galactica soundtrack.

If they ditch the VR will they stick with the name Galactica and if so the only real theming is from the VR (ok and the portal).  

They really should get rid of those tragic queue line vinyls while they're at it... And that boring projector pre show. Honestly, the themeless 'Air' aesthetic was much better than the silly 'words as theming' approach they took with the re-theme, its so pretentious for such a mediocre pay off. With that in mind, I'd rather it go back to being Air; no false promises, no over-hype in the queue line, just a solid ride experience. I think it'd be better off for it. 

Yesterday they only had VR on the rear 3/4 rows - we were in row 4 and the VR packs on the restraint had completely gone.  Dispatches were still quite slow as the ride batcher was asking everyone if they wanted to ride with VR then assigning them rows accordingly.  I like that they’ve bought back the on ride photo point and it’s kind of funny to see pics of people with the VR head sets on.

Had an embarrassing moment when my restraint would not open at all and the op was giving me tips over loud speaker on how to get out ? - everyone else had got off and I was just sat there feeling stupid- when I got on and pulled the restraint down, the ride host tightened it with this weird key thing and they had to use the key to get me out at the end - awkward when people who are waiting to get on are staring ?

5 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

Ah I love the irony in that they claimed it is the world’s first “dedicated” rollercoaster with VR. About as much dedication as a celebrity marriage. Though they could possibly claim it is the world’s first rollercoaster to remove VR and use that statement as a “new for 2019” claim somehow.

Christ don’t go giving them ideas! 

Are there seriously rumours about them removing the VR already? Cripes. That's incredible.

Those vinyls covered in etched graffiti depresses me greatly, but the queue doesn't exactly help matters. How come you don't see that sort of vandalism at Disney parks? Is it a higher calibre of guest or are they just better at preventing it? ?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So much for future of theme parks then.

But in reality correct decision, they didn’t update with new videos / alternate journeys so it got boring extremely fast and the quality was poor

Will there be a new theme to bring the park a “New for 2020“ ?

Yeah I remember across the exit they had a decent amount of teasers for new "journeys", its a shame they didn't really deliver on that..

I'm glad its gone, VR I think just doesn't work at theme parks though Galactica wasn't quite as bad as DBGT though..

Hopefully the VR mess at Thorpe is next.. 

On 8/7/2016 at 12:35 AM, JoshuaA said:

New for 2017 At Alton Towers:

Air V2, The worlds first coaster to dedicate itself to VR, then hastily abandon it a year later.

I was two years off but close enough ?

6 hours ago, Marc said:

1691F5B0-2E2B-49CE-9FF4-A514775FA420.jpeg

Confirmed that the VR is gone - kind of a shame as it definitely added something to what is otherwise a pretty dull ride IMO! 

Good riddance. Much better without it. In fact since the ride added VR I appreciated "Air" a hell of a lot more! 

VR just isn't for coasters IMO. (or dark rides ?

37 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

Good riddance. Much better without it. In fact since the ride added itVR I appreciated "Air" a hell of a lot more! 

VR just isn't for coasters IMO. (or dark rides ?

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Now if Thorpe Park can do away with their VR disaster that would be great.

All the VR did to galactica in my opinion was turn it into a glorified motion simulator and slowed operations right down!! No major loss at all!!

One white elephant down, another left to go at Thorpe Junction...

Am a little bit saddened it's gone since Galactica was my first ever experience of the VR platform and remember being pretty damn impressed by it at the time, but accepted by the end of last year it's time was up, especially given the headphones used in those headesets during 2017/2018 was appalling quality and volume-wise.

Just as long as the theme and audio for Galactica remains, it's not a huge loss through me eyes. I see absolutely no reason why the theme should revert back to Air as some are now saying. It's still the same ride no matter how it's dressed up!

Air's theme was non existent so I mean we've gained a bit of theming. I think this is great news personally, I'd always liked Air but the VR really stopped me riding as the queue was just way too damn long. Welcome back great operations and shorter queue times. :D

1 hour ago, Stuntman707 said:

GALACTICA IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE WORLD'S FIRST NEXT GENERATION FLYING COASTER: AIR

?

(Still a great ride experience)

Tweaked for accuracy.

Everyone forgets about the poor Vekoma Flying Dutchman, and the short-lived Skytrak in Manchester :(