Marc

2019 Season

It was a shame to see that despite all of the park's winter maintenance videos, there was still plenty of old litter and gum around the park from last season (or even older). The indoor part of Saw's queueline was full of dust bunnies and pigeon poo, and Nemesis Inferno's volcano was a disgrace! Could they really not find the time to get someone onto that with a scraper during the closed season?

IMG_4821.JPG

More details released on the Coke Freestyle machines: https://www.thorpepark.com/blog/2019-season-opening-part-one-coke-freestyle

Prices are as follows for the cup and unlimited use of the machines all day:

1 vessel - £10
2 vessels - £18
3 vessels - £24

If you reuse the cup another day the price is reduced to £6

Personally I feel like it's quite pricey (although if the annual/season pass discount applies then it's a bit better). The discount of £4 for reusing the cup is very good though, most substantial discount I've seen for anything like this.

Last year, a refill capsule (which just had Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Fanta and Oasis I believe) cost £8. £2 extra for all the different flavour combinations isn't bad I guess. In that sense it's pretty reasonable and in line with similar all-you-can-drink offerings (probably cheaper than it is in America actually?)

It does sound pricey when you first hear it though, so I fear it may put people off. But I hope it does work out for them as something like this is a really neat idea.

I would buy it.

Sure a bit expensive but if you drink a lot it'll be worth it.

The re-using discount also I think would make it more than worth it if you visit more than once.

I hope this works out, this is something I would certainly try out.

Wish they did something like the six flags/cedar fair parks did where you can purchace a bottle for around $25? I think, and then use it all year at any of the chain parks, though it was a season pass add on, but still no reason to not make it a seperate thing, other than not making more money of course though :D

12 hours ago, LK_ said:

Wish they did something like the six flags/cedar fair parks did where you can purchace a bottle for around $25? I think, and then use it all year at any of the chain parks, though it was a season pass add on, but still no reason to not make it a seperate thing, other than not making more money of course though :D

When Merlin first introduced the refill capsules for passholders, it worked similar to that. I feel like at first it was £10 for a whole season, before slowly rising to £16.

They eventually changed it so it was £1.50 for the bottle and then 75p(?) per refill, an idea which wasn't too well received.

It seems opening day had loads of school trips for some reason? Couldn't they wait till next week or something. 

Either way, it's *apparently* gone less swimmingly than passholders day last week:

image.png.65c61a955801d22f9b0ca3d537f2d675.png

Thorpe back to being Thorpe I guess :(

Here's to hoping today will be the exception this season (others are saying that it was a fairly quiet day today though).

Video of Colossus stuck: https://youtu.be/QuEMuRVRlnQ?t=443

image.png.c8bba3f8932b9ab8d62b76382754d36c.png

3 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

It seems opening day had loads of school trips for some reason? Couldn't they wait till next week or something. 

Either way, it's *apparently* gone less swimmingly than passholders day last week:

image.png.65c61a955801d22f9b0ca3d537f2d675.png

Thorpe back to being Thorpe I guess :(

Here's to hoping today will be the exception this season (others are saying that it was a fairly quiet day today though).

Video of Colossus stuck: https://youtu.be/QuEMuRVRlnQ?t=443

image.png.c8bba3f8932b9ab8d62b76382754d36c.png

Very odd, I used to plan a rewards trip to Thorpe in the last week of March, but we were the only ones there! Guess everyone has finally cottoned on to the fact that summer trips are a stupid idea! 

3 hours ago, Marhelorpe said:

Never before have I ever witnessed something more ironic than this...

20190330_101137.thumb.jpg.9900cd02b341f013d4042adf413eb39a.jpg

Funny how so many can join a cattle pen queue this long to get a RAP but can't wait 5 minutes for Flying Fish...

:blink:

Unfortunately until Merlin get tough on just who is eligible for RAP this is how it’s always going to be. 

I assume they are too worried about getting Daily Mail stories such as “Merlin said I wasn’t disabled enough anymore” 

The government themselves are doing a good job of that with Universal Credit...

Maybe they should just make it Blue Badge applicable only? 

I honestly think they should just keep it to blue badges- doctors notes can be tampered with (I know people who have done this) and its very easy just to fake documentation (isn't like they the staff are gonna know any different)..

Thorpe deserve some credit for a lot of the small things they've done over the closed seasons.

New restriction boards for basically all rides, signs around the park directing people, continued good quality landscaping around the park. Then the small touches of paintwork are good.

Sadly this is largely lost and overshadowed by the big things, like the state of Colossus, Inferno, Swarm, the quality of audio, the dome's stripped back emptiness, etc. And these are the things that truly matter and should be focused on.

Hopefully the small touches are a sign of things to come. But when they're easy things to get right, and the big problems have been problems either for years or a long time coming, I remain cautious.

43 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

Thorpe deserve some credit for a lot of the small things they've done over the closed seasons.

New restriction boards for basically all rides, signs around the park directing people, continued good quality landscaping around the park. Then the small touches of paintwork are good.

Sadly this is largely lost and overshadowed by the big things, like the state of Colossus, Inferno, Swarm, the quality of audio, the dome's stripped back emptiness, etc. And these are the things that truly matter and should be focused on.

Hopefully the small touches are a sign of things to come. But when they're easy things to get right, and the big problems have been problems either for years or a long time coming, I remain cautious.

Colossus yes I agree with, however Inferno + Swarm and the dome I completely disagree with! I see no problem with Inferno apart from the chewing gum which is hardly a big issue if you think about it. Swarm I see no issue at all with great operations. The new dome looks modern, clean and in the 21st century! 

Colossus and Swarm I think both looked awful today, Swarm's Station looked worse in person.. Ughh..

The dome wasn't as bad in person but I do feel the dome now has lost some of the charm the Alantis-ish theming and style gave to it,

like maybe it'll grow on me, but I'm not a fan of the current dome as of my first visit.

As others have said the new signs that give directions must be really useful for anyone who doesn't know the park (why did it take them so long to add these?) so kudos to the park for finally adding them.

45 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

Colossus and Swarm I think both looked awful today, Swarm's Station looked worse in person.. Ughh..

The dome wasn't as bad in person but I do feel the dome now has lost some of the charm the Alantis-ish theming and style gave to it,

like maybe it'll grow on me, but I'm not a fan of the current dome as of my first visit.

As others have said the new signs that give directions must be really useful for anyone who doesn't know the park (why did it take them so long to add these?) so kudos to the park for finally adding them.

I thought the opposite and that it didn't look as bad in person compared to the photos. The dome especially didn't really bother me.

You should have said you were on park, we could have said hi!