Thorpe Park's Old Days

Frankie

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Found this the other day - an old jointly branded Thorpe-Chessington leaflet picked up from my local library, from 2003.

The Park had a lot of momentum 12 years ago; I remember how exciting the rapid expansion was. 3 new rides for one season! And I still quite like the old branding of this era... :blush:

2003brochure2.jpg

Interesting too that Thorpe has recently reverted to peak / off peak pricing - looking at the 2003 leaflet they had 3 tiers; off peak, peak, and standard! And an off peak ticket would cost you only £19...

More in the Total Thorpe Park Archive.

• 2 months later...

On a different point, I'm not sure if people have seen it before but I found a gem of a video from 2002...

Oh! That's so amazing! Wish I was old enough to have gone there during the early years, but I would have been to young to remember anything anyway! -_- It's a shame. I never really got to see anything going on (show wise) in the Arena when I began to frequently come to Thorpe Park. Shame really that it's gone now but it wasn't getting a lot of use anyway, except for Fright Nights  -_-

That video is fab!  I remember going back in 2002 and not riding Colossus (yeah, was a wimp back then despite being nearly 22) - my sister actually took a camcorder with her and we filmed some stuff but its probably busy gathering dust in some random place never to be seen again.

That show in the arena looked pretty cool - I remember a show they did years ago (around 1995ish) - I'm fairly sure that a guy would climb up the top of the stairs then set himself on fire before jumping into the water - if I am completely wrong forgive me - I often dream things and convince myself they are real :wacko:

Same layout, but was rougher with more underwater agitators and a big rock before the tunnel the boats would bounce off quite harshly. It was all toned down when a led fell out of the boat and had his ear cut off by said rock.

Was also a lot more open and sparse with the vegetation having not developed. It's easy to forget this really was barren pit land to start with, with no vegetation or natural landscape at all.

• 2 weeks later...