Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

I'm intrigued to know how much Derren is pocketing from this attraction... Because 3 years and a high input on the project, plus being able to use his name and popularity to make the ride appeal to more people in the future... I doubt a contract is in place to give Derren money in the future... But if construction costs are around £20million then the other £10, I'd imagine a large amount of that went to him... And then there's marketing etc. (Future marketing costs too) which all add up to the total budget to make it sound good.

You'd hope the higher the budget the better the ride and experience right? Based on Alton towers spending like £18million(?) on a glorified family coaster with scaffolding for themeing, I'm still not keeping my hopes up...

Recently, I came across a friend of a friend whose relative supposedly works for Simworx or Merlin (I can't exactly remember which one at the moment) and I started talking to them about Thorpe. During the conversation, they told me some small info about the Derren Brown attraction. Treat it with a pinch of salt as always, but I'll mark it as a spoiler just in case. 

The ride is meant to be called Derren Brown's Ghost Train and is meant to have ride vehicles designed to look like london underground carriages. Simworx is the company which will be creating this attraction.

I'm going to go ahead and doubt that is correct, but you never know. It would make it fit into a theme-park environment in quite a neat way.

30 seconds in, interesting how this participant describes being part of Seance...

The clip then moves towards the Automaton stuff, which with the trademark I still imagine is where this is more likely to go. 

IN A WORLD’S FIRST DERREN BROWN THE MASTER OF MANIPULATION PROMISES TO TAKE YOU ON A JOURNEY INTO DISTORTED EXISTENCE. PREPARE TO LOSE YOUR MIND WITH A PSYCHOLOGICAL ATTRACTION LIKE NO OTHER.

AT THE HEART OF THE ISLAND YOU DISCOVER A DISUSED WAREHOUSE. IT HAS BEEN CHOSEN BY DERREN AS THE PERFECT PLACE TO EMBARK ON A TWISTED JOURNEY WHERE THE BOUNDARY BETWEEN FEAR AND FUN IS STRANGELY BLURRED.

YOU’LL BE OUT OF YOUR MIND TO MISS IT...

ARRIVING 2016. ONLY AT THORPE PARK RESORT.

So a disused warehouse. Not theater, not train station.

Just what Thorpe needs, a disused warehouse, because it doesn't have one of those already.

I really don't like the name Derren Browns Ghost Train but I think it could be a possible name. As for Simworx, I think it is highly probable that they are manufacturing this as they did say that they were working UK project. The question is what is the ride type going to be???

The Minds Wanted site is still the same in reply to maxjbutton but Thorpe Park site is very Derren Brown related.

Just what Thorpe needs, a disused warehouse, because it doesn't have one of those already.

To be fair, it could be a disused train warehouse or something. ;)  

Funnily enough, the plans did say that the style of the building was designed to fit in with the rest of the park.  Anyone see a vicious cycle developing / already developed?

Urgh!  Why can't they think of a proper theme for once?  Everything is in a "disused warehouse!"
Seems to me like an excuse to not theme the exterior more than anything else.

I mean who decides on these marketing schemes/ideas these days?  They throw millions at an attraction and can't even think of any better than "disused warehouse?"

Thorpe is going to look like a disused theme park if they carry on like this.

I'll stick with my Castles and giant mountain landscapes but thanks all the same Thorpe. If you'd like to visit some warehouses for free, Hackney Wick on the Overground has some excellent warehouses where you can have your mind manipulated (excellent IPA's and craft beers) for cheap. :D

I honestly don't know what the fuss is all about. I understand the disappointment in some people due to another disused warehouse theme, however they are obviously focusing on the interior rather than the exterior. It keeps the anonymity on the outside, and hopefully "the big reveal" on the inside...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still they could have maybe gone for something more original, like the train station instead of another warehouse.

I honestly don't know what the fuss is all about. I understand the disappointment in some people due to another disused warehouse theme, however they are obviously focusing on the interior rather than the exterior. It keeps the anonymity on the outside, and hopefully "the big reveal" on the inside...

Because, despite the fact that it is supposedly Thorpe's largest investment to date, they can't even think of a creative setting!

The disused warehouse idea has already been done with Saw, this is just re-using the same idea and they could have been so much more creative with it.

I want to stay positive and excited about this, I really do. And I am. But it does seem such a shame, of all the unlimited imagination of any fantastical thing in all of the world, we end up with a second abandoned warehouse.

People seem surprised that it's a disused warehouse, hasn't that been in the plans all along?

I was hoping the plans had, at least to a certain extent, left deliberately ambiguous and might prove to at least hint at something more original, and less drab.

Because, despite the fact that it is supposedly Thorpe's largest investment to date, they can't even think of a creative setting!

The disused warehouse idea has already been done with Saw, this is just re-using that same idea and they could have been so much more creative with it.

Or maybe it will fit in with the rides theme which we know little / none about?

Even if it does, the disused theme has already been overdone at Thorpe and the fact that the word "warehouse" is being used in the marketing doesn't exactly suggest a highly themed ride.

Officially, the disused / abandoned theme has only been done once, with Saw (twice if you count Saw Alive).  

The website suggests that Derren has 'found' this warehouse, and is seemingly converting it into something which can house his experiment / whatever.  

Given the amount of hints to a train theme, it could still be an abandoned train warehouse or some sorts, which still leaves plenty of opportunities for theming in my eyes.

Officially, the disused / abandoned theme has only been done once, with Saw (twice if you count Saw Alive).

Although, if you speak to the people who designed those rides, they will happily admit to reusing the same abandoned warehouse idea over and over as a start point. Because that's what it is already, a warehouse, so all you have to do is paint it rusty and it's the first idea that pops into people's heads.

Having been into several real abandoned warehouses in my time, they're quite tense and lachrymose, not boring like always portrayed in theme parks. Maybe this will be the best abandoned warehouse theme ever, but it's still a missed opportunity again. Bahhh

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic