Artie

Slammer

58ecd041da197_WP_20170410_0011.thumb.jpg.0135483feaa59a071a7e3ea67b4d1b4d.jpg

Sorry about the image quality, but I just want to point out that I noticed this on Sunday, but there is actually a birds nest currently in place on the left support on Slammer, around where the locks are.

I just really hope it doesn't become Logger's Leap v2.

However, I am very glad to see this closure as it will give the staff a ton of extra time to find the best parts and stuff for the ride to increase its reliability.

I think this might be it TBH..

Right now I don't know if its worth it trying to revive it- like Sky Swats didn't die out for no reason..

Also Slammer does take up quite a lot of space, so I bet a decent sized flat could replace it!

29 minutes ago, Coaster said:

"Watch this space"

What, watch yet another SBNO ride collect dust for a year?

The fact that slammer has clearly received closed season work, and even has new signage sat in its queue line suggests the issues with slammer were quite last minute and probably out of their control.

If slammer was replaced next season, I wouldn't mind the closure but if it is left abandoned, it will be a huge shame. That area of the park alongside Canada creek are just bland, and lack any sort of life. Really sad this is the case for here and rumba rapids now

I've heard rumours that they are having to get one-off parts manufactured for it. I guess with it being the only ride of its type in the world, spare parts are not very easy to get hold of.

2 hours ago, RobF said:

I can see the slammer / canada creek (old town) area being used and totally redeveloped for the next coaster development 

When they've just spent all of their budget on a luxury blue fence and two multimillion flat rides, I can't see it!

3 hours ago, Marc said:

The fact that slammer has clearly received closed season work, and even has new signage sat in its queue line suggests the issues with slammer were quite last minute and probably out of their control.

... but then instead of spending money on it decide to keep it sitting there for a year, another loggers leap situation 

Loggers was obviously planned - it was advertised on the thrope site within days of the park closing - the fact that Slammer has had it's closed season work, had new signs bought suggests to me it's quite different to the loggers situation!

Thorpe have shown since the ride opened they are willing to spend money on it if feasible.

Thought it was common knowledge that any parts needed for Slammer had to be sourced elsewhere since the manufacturer gave up on them because they were both a nightmare?

Yes, absolutely. 

What I can't see is that any part they need would take a whole season to be fabricated?  It does feel to me like a longer term decision may have been made.

14 hours ago, Marc said:

Thorpe have shown since the ride opened they are willing to spend money on it if feasible.

But it's not feasible is it, this ride is 99% down. I can't imagine how much money they have spent trying to get it working.

They're spending tonnes, just so they can say they have the only one in the world, but what goods that when it never works!!!!

Thats what i'm saying - they have spent money on it when its been feasible to do so - the past 3/4 seasons have probably been Slammers best reliability wise 

It was good while it lasted. It is a shame really that it's not running this year because although I've only really been going to Thorpe since 2013, last year is by far the year in which I've seen slammer running the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thorpe have confirmed it on Social media yup.

A Shame but no real surprise - i always enjoyed riding it but its reliability was always going to get the better of it one day - they did a hell of a good job keeping it going as long as they did but I guess eventually enough was enough.

Really not happy with this decision. Slammer despite its huge number of reliability problems and mixed opinion from day one always offered an experience that couldn't be matched anywhere else, even if it was painful for riders. Quite saddened to hear it's inevitable departure subtly announced like this.

Oh well, it was fun to ride it whilst it lasted and at least the park are being honest about it's removal and not claiming it was down temporarily for TLC/redevelopment or something similar, by then removing it from the park without any notice given the following year.

I suppose we better start speculating at what inflatable HB Leisure replacement we might be getting soon!

A day that was expected and bound to happen soon and today is that day.

It is a shame the ride has now officially dead, but it wasn't to last. The park did a good job at persevering while it lasted to such s unique ride. 

Rest In Peace Slammer

March 2005- May 2017