Marc

Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

The problem is, the quality of these graphics is primarily down to a display where the pixel density of each screen covering each eye simply is not high enough to make it visibly sharp. This is not an issue just with the Vive headsets but across all of the popular ones such as Oculus, Gear VR and PlayStation VR. Until one of these headsets has a display rating of 4K or above, this will continue to be a problem the ride will suffer unless further down the line the headsets are updated to newer ones with sharper resolutions. VR headsets will very soon have 4K displays in them and this should hopefully solve part of the problem with the graphics, but knowing Merlin, I doubt this will happen.

As for the green mist section, I'm sure the park will be changing this for 2017 to something much more interesting, but the holding issue that scene can be left on will likely never get resolved due to stacking issues of all 3 trains in the circuit. One solution could be to make each half of the VR sections longer which will therefore eliminate the hold entirely, but then the throughput will be reduced further with even slower queues and more waiting to get on and off the trains. Unless all three trains are perfectly synchronised within seconds of each other, this issue will continue to persist and I cannot see any other way this problem will ever get fixed without there being a massive overhaul of the mechanical system.

I'm already bored of DBGT's marketing. It just feels too repetitive.

Cue a video of DB, some jars, a skull and a chalkboard - what the heck, throw in a model train too.

Doesn't surprise me that Derren seems to want out of this tbh haha ?

He's renowned for some truly incredible illusions, this in comparison must be soul crushing and it's not even his fault ? Just laziness w/ Merlin as per.

55 minutes ago, Ryan said:

He is actually still heavily involved in the project.

Genuinely did not know this, just assumed since there didn't seem to be any new footage/ ad campaigns featuring him, he'd taken a backseat.

He didn't like the ride and rated it very low on his approval visits shortly before it eventually opened, based on his standards of illusion and his expectation on what the experience was going to be like. Dont know what he made of the ride when it eventually opened. He's contractually obliged to still be a part of the project in name/brand and so surely would want to be involved in this redesign, though pretty sure he doesn't have all that much input at this stage

http://www.attractionsmanagement.com/detail.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&codeID=330532&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This article was retweeted by the Thorpe Park twitter account. Seems to give an insight into some of what can be expected this year. New footage pleases me greatly if true!

Nice article.  First time we've ever really had an article closely linked to Thorpe saying how they can make tweaks and introduce new journeys over time, which has some promise.  

The paragraph about shooting on the ride itself is interesting.  If they're able to use footage of the train itself in the VR world (rather than a similar-looking CGI train), it might be able to add to the aimed 'blurring the lines between what's real and what's not' motive, which is only a plus in my books.

Find it interesting that the park are trying to drop in 'we've got a new IP for Fright Nights' at every possible moment too.  Though that's for another thread I s'pose...

2016 - Derren Brown's Ghost Train (DBGT) 

2017 - Derren  Brown's Ghost Train : Rise of the demon (DBGTROTD) 

2018 - Rise of the Demon (ROTD) 

2019 - The Return of Derren Browns  Ghost Train. (TRODBGT) 

if I'm honest I can honestly see Merlin doing this haha